Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Should election day be a national holiday?

I think so. It amazes me how few people exercise their right to vote, and I think a lot of the reason is it's a hassle. You have to register ahead of time, find your polling place, wait in long lines, etc. in the middle of a work day. If the federal/state government can force you to pay taxes the least it could do is make it as easy as possible to get there. If you can securely pay taxes over the phone or online, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to do that either. Really, I suspect that both political parties have no interest in extending voting to everyone because they're scared of the outcome - the Dems and Reps really want to line up their core voting blocks and face off without people thinking outside of that box. If it were up to me you've be required to vote but "none of the above" would be on every ballot - at least then people who didn't vote would really have made their voices heard.

What say you, geek club? :doublethumbsup:

bring the polls to the people....

bring them to bars....a free drink ticket for anyone who votes....

its bad that we need to give people incentive for something that shouldnt be taken for granted..but this country is that way, to a degree...

a west coast problem when it comes to the big election is....the tv saying that so many states have been won by so and so...those voters probably :doublethumbsup: and figure that their vote wont matter anyway...

Having to put forth a minimal amount of effort to vote is a good thing. If you are too lazy to drag yourself away from Jerry Springer long enough to cast a ballot you are prolly not too well informed on the issues.

Many states (like mine) offer early voting. I voted a week and a half ago. It took about 10 minutes, there was NO line, and I don't have to deal with the hour+ long wait that I had to suffer through in 2004.

There is always the option of voting absentee as well if one really wants to vote...

Full day off for those of who dont, since we cant be blamed for focking up the country :thumbsup:

I am currently too jaded on politics to bother voting, at least on national elections. Once a died in the wool Republican, I've had it with this neo-con movement that has abandoned its roots. If I did vote, it'd be for Libertarian candidates, which amounts to not voting at all. Pathetic that I long for the likes of Gerald Ford, a president who pretty much did absolutely nothing. I guess the best we can now hope for is an administration that will be kept in check with an opposing Congress.

shredding a voter registration card isn't a hassle. Hell, even the Bored of Elections were quick to follow through on all of it.

I'll just sit on the :dunno: , have a few :banana: and watch as Tuesday's hilarity unfolds with DIEbold machines dying all over the country, with incorrect counts and old bastages holding up lines......and ambulance chasers running to court rooms all over ther country to extend the voting hours to 4am......

Banana Republic :dunno: