Sign in to follow this  
What is the deal?

Will Brad Johnson be a starter in 2007?

I am in a 12X35 man roster dynasty league. My team is out of the playoffs, and I am debating whether to hold on to Brad Johnson or drop him for a better prospect.

So I want to know what your opinion is on him? Does anyone see any possibility that he sticks around in Minny for another season while they groom Travaris?

I guess the upside of Brad Johnson is just too good to drop in a dynasty league... :cry:

Stop living in 1999 dude...and he wasn't even all that great then...

If Brad Johnson is on the Viking roster next season I may buy a Packer hat. :cheers:

The key is that the Vikings refused to give him an extension or another dime of any kind despite being the 40th highest paid QB. That should tell you how he fits into their future plans.

Please oh please Mr. Schaub. :cheers:

I'd drop him and pick up Testeverde if he's still availible. But kind of a toss up there. Either way you have a solid cornerstone for your team's future.

Far be it for me to interject something USEFUL:

I see this as a WAS - Brunell/Campbell situation. Next year they will most likely have Johnson in until he starts to suck, or they fall out of the playoff race.

BTW I am in the same thought process right now, and I am gonna cut and look for a prospect.

for all the people that are commenting about Testaverde, etc...last I checked Teste isn't coming off a 270 yd 3 TD day...

I have Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris, Cutler, Leftwich, and Plummer (traded Grossman for a 1st next year week 5). There is no guarantee I have 2 starters in that bunch...I'll need someone to cover my bye week. W/ 35 man rosters there are 0 starting QB's on the wire...so I Johnson is going to be the starter, I may need him to cover bye weeks. If he's not, he's not worth holding onto...

Next year they will most likely have Johnson in until he starts to suck

In case you haven't noticed, Johnson has sucked since he took over for Culpepper last season. At no point since he has been in has he not sucked. He was downright terrible last season when the team was 7-2 with him in.

In case you haven't noticed, Johnson has sucked since he took over for Culpepper last season. At no point since he has been in has he not sucked. He was downright terrible last season when the team was 7-2 with him in.

did you watch him last weekend? Have you watched any of the VIkings games for that matter?

It hasn't been Johnson. His #1 WR dropped how many balls? They finally benched T Willy and what happens, he throws for 3 scores...

Assuming the Vikings keep Johnson (he's signed through 2008), I'd have to believe it will be an open competition during training camp for the starting QB spot. Johnson will be turning 39 just a few weeks into the '07 season. He's clearly not the future, and if they don't make the playoffs this year, there is zero reason to stick with him.

Even if he was the starter on opening day, if the Vikings aren't winning they would likely make a QB change early in the season to see what Tarvaris Jackson looks like. Should he continue to be the starter, it's unlikely he'll lead your team to the championship and he has almost zero value in a Dynasty League in future years do to his age.

His value is next nothing, so I would dump him for a younger prospect or try and trade him for whatever type of rookie draft pick you may be able to get.

Assuming the Vikings keep Johnson (he's signed through 2008), I'd have to believe it will be an open competition during training camp for the starting QB spot. Johnson will be turning 39 just a few weeks into the '07 season. He's clearly not the future, and if they don't make the playoffs this year, there is zero reason to stick with him.

Even if he was the starter on opening day, if the Vikings aren't winning they would likely make a QB change early in the season to see what Tarvaris Jackson looks like. Should he continue to be the starter, it's unlikely he'll lead your team to the championship and he has almost zero value in a Dynasty League in future years do to his age.

His value is next nothing, so I would dump him for a younger prospect or try and trade him for whatever type of rookie draft pick you may be able to get.

trade deadline is over, I was trying to get a 3rd from him, had a biter but the dude backed out...

Like I said, if I knew Leftwich had a job or that Tarvaris was going to be the starter he'd already be gone...

FWIW, the prospects I am choosing from are PJ Daniels, Cory Ross, Patrick Cobbs, Lawrence Vickers, Tyronne Gross, Travis Wilson, David Kircus (can he challenge Marshall to be the #2 in Den), Shaun McDonald (FA in 2007), Delanie Walker, Joshua Cribbs, Taye Biddle, Jonathan Orr, Justin McCareins or LaBrandon Toefield (etc...you get the picture) not exactly shoe in's to ever contribute...we are talking about a league w/ 35 man rosters...

did you watch him last weekend? Have you watched any of the VIkings games for that matter?

It hasn't been Johnson. His #1 WR dropped how many balls? They finally benched T Willy and what happens, he throws for 3 scores...

As being one of the biggest and saddest homers on this garbage bored, I will have to reluctantly say I have maybe seen a couple of their games.

Last season he had 11 touchdown passes in 9 games as a starter and two of those were in the last game against the Bears after they pulled their starters in the first quarter. He couldn't even manage 150 yards passing in 4 of those starts.

Before the game against the defensive kingpin Cardinal team last week, Johnson had 5 TD passes in 10 games and one of them was a 40 yarder in the Packer game to Billy McMullen who was open by 15 yards and Johnson still very nearly underthrew him.

Johnson cannot even throw a spiral anymore, cannot throw the ball more than 10 yards accurately and has worse mobility than Dan Marino did. You don't want to get me going on this guy because he singlehandedly has ruined an entire season for all Viking fans.

trade deadline is over, I was trying to get a 3rd from him, had a biter but the dude backed out...

Like I said, if I knew Leftwich had a job or that Tarvaris was going to be the starter he'd already be gone...

FWIW, the prospects I am choosing from are PJ Daniels, Cory Ross, Patrick Cobbs, Lawrence Vickers, Tyronne Gross, Travis Wilson, David Kircus (can he challenge Marshall to be the #2 in Den), Shaun McDonald (FA in 2007), Delanie Walker, Joshua Cribbs, Taye Biddle, Jonathan Orr, Justin McCareins or LaBrandon Toefield (etc...you get the picture) not exactly shoe in's to ever contribute...we are talking about a league w/ 35 man rosters...

I know what you mean, I'm in a 12x30 man roster Dynasty League, so I know how a player like Brad Johnson could still hold some value.

That said, I'd probably grab P.J. Daniels in case he gets a shot at the starting gig in Baltimore within the next 2-3 years. Shaun McDonald seems like the other one to consider.

I don't know what your QB situation is however, so if you're thin there and have Tarvaris Jackson anyway, you may be better off holding onto Johnson for the time being.

Are you retarded? Mewelde Moore is a better QB than Brad Johnson. At the beginning of the year, the vikings defense were scoring more points than Brad Johnson and the juggernaut offense. Brad Johnson is worthless.... Brad Johnson - worth = Brad Johnson

I'd drop him for Nick Mangold's sister.

Seriously though, that's a deep league you are in, so the pickings are indeed slim. I'd be tempted to hang on to him based on the options you've presented as being available. That way -- you'll have a pretty safe bet to have the Vikings and Broncos starting QB, one way or the other. That's my conservative play on the situation. (Just make sure they don't have common bye weeks next year)

Care to take another shot at this one yet?