Sign in to follow this  
Flashover

House Bans Lobbyist Gifts, Business-Sponsored Travel

House Bans Lobbyist Gifts, Business-Sponsored Travel

Jan. 4 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. House of Representatives, after installing its new Democratic leadership, voted to ban lawmakers from flying on corporate jets and accepting gifts and meals from lobbyists.

The House passed, 430-1, a package of rules aimed at demonstrating Democrats' commitment to cleaning up Congress. Tomorrow, the House will vote on rules designed to end the anonymous sponsorship of pet projects, or earmarks, that have been quietly tucked into spending measures.

``This is legislation I wish we had done,'' said Representative Christopher Shays, a Connecticut Republican. ``I'm sorry it took a Democratic majority to do it. We pushed ethics to the very edge of the cliff and hoped the public would be interested in other things,'' Shays said. ``When Mark Foley came up, it pushed us over the cliff.''

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070105...rg/adc7z497fqsa

Day one and already the Democratic Congress has accomplished more than the Republican Congress has in the past 6+ years.

I hate to admit it but I like what I see so far.

I am really paying attention and taking notes to see what the Democrats do in the next two years. I have thought byself to be "Republican" (conservative) for so long that I have not reevaluated my stance in a very long time. Whenever I look at a platform, I am mostly libertarian, but after the fiasco that has been the republican party for the past 4 years I am ready to take a closer look.

I am really paying attention and taking notes to see what the Democrats do in the next two years. I have thought byself to be "Republican" (conservative) for so long that I have not reevaluated my stance in a very long time. Whenever I look at a platform, I am mostly libertarian, but after the fiasco that has been the republican party for the past 4 years I am ready to take a closer look.

I agree. The Dems may not be the answer to all our problems but they do seem to be off to a good start.

Next up: $100,000 bribes.

Oh wait, the Dems kinda like those. :banana:

Shut the fock up, Rusty/Ricky/Lemming.

I can't believe I just read this. Toro backs all the horseshit that has gone on in the past six years and now decides to conveniently change teams.