Sign in to follow this  
Isotopes

Car Rental Dilemma

The wife and I are going to Grand Cayman in April. I am renting a car for the week. In the Cayman Islands they drive on the left side of the street. When renting the car I can shoose if I want the driver seat on the left or right. Which should I get? Is it easier to drive on the left side with the driver seat on the right? Will it remind to stay on the other side of the street? Or should I just get a car with teh driver seat on the left since that is what I am used to?

Does anyone have any insight?

I'd recommend getting what you're used to. My boss moved here from Ireland and it took him quite a bit of adjusting to get used to our roads.

yes, I lived in japan for 3+ years... they drive on the left side of the road, and drive on the right side of the car. This BY FAR was easier than driving a normal american left drivers side car. The reason is cause you are constantly reminded that you are on the wrong side of the car, and thus easier to remember to drive on the left side of the road. It also is great cause remember, while we drive on the right side of the road and left side of the car in America, when we pass people, it's the driver side closest to oncoming traffic.... the same will be true of the opposite side of the road/car combo. so it's easier to judge closeness to oncoming traffic.

Make no mistake about it, it's still a transition, but it's much smoother to just dive in and get a car that is backwards to what you are use to. Amazingly enough, shifting with your left hand isn't as tough as you'd think... it's pretty focking natural.

Hope this helped. If you have any other questions, just ask .

the speed limits overseas are usually slower than america anyways, so that helps alot too