Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

Febrile seizures

If not, you should. I spent the middle of the night on Saturday in an ambulance with my 3 year old because of these things. Apparently, you should be concerned, but not really :dunno:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febrile...le_seizures.htm

Febrile seizures are convulsions brought on by a fever in infants or small children. During a febrile seizure, a child often loses consciousness and shakes, moving limbs on both sides of the body. Less commonly, the child becomes rigid or has twitches in only a portion of the body, such as an arm or a leg, or on the right or the left side only. Most febrile seizures last a minute or two, although some can be as brief as a few seconds while others last for more than 15 minutes.

:P

My wife, maternity RN, says that they are pretty common. Once the fever comes down, the rugrat is usually ok.

My wife, maternity RN, says that they are pretty common. Once the fever comes down, the rugrat is usually ok.

I know that now. At 4AM after a night with a few cocktails and a kid puking, convulsing, and frothing at the mouth (him, not me), I figured calling 911 was the right way to go. Even the paramedics were not real happy with a temp of 106.1.

So now, I am trying to warn other geek parents that you just need to throw the kid in a tub with lukewarm water (not cool water) and get the temperature down. :P

hope your kids ok.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that he was fine and back to his a-hole self within 48 hours. :dunno:

I know that now. At 4AM after a night with a few cocktails and a kid puking, convulsing, and frothing at the mouth (him, not me), I figured calling 911 was the right way to go. Even the paramedics were not real happy with a temp of 106.1.

So now, I am trying to warn other geek parents that you just need to throw the kid in a tub with lukewarm water (not cool water) and get the temperature down. :banana:

Yeah, I should have mentioned that he was fine and back to his a-hole self within 48 hours. :banana:

That is a great link you provided. One of the best resources I know of actually. Everything any geek parent needs to know is right there. That site provides more info than most E.R. docs know.