Sign in to follow this  
p.man

Great softball game tonight.

What a game both teams played tonight. My Daughters softball game turned out to be a nail biter.

They were down 5-0 in the top of the 5th. Then they put together a 9 run inning to take a 9-5 lead.

It was still 9-5 in the top of the 6th as we loaded the bases with 0 outs. The other teams pitcher struck out the 4th batter and popped up the next batter. Our final try to tac on a few more runs ended when the girl playing 3rd dove and made a back handed catch to rob our team of at least 2 runs. The inning ended with everyone looking like :banana: after that great play.

In the bottom of the 6th the other team added 2 runs to shrink our lead to 9-7.

In the top of the 7th we again had a chance to score more runs but failed to do so.

Up by 2 with the other team having their last at bats, our pitcher caught a line drive for the 1st out. It was their best hitter who made the 1st out, so we all felt good about it. But! She walked the next batter and than walked the tying run. With 1st and 2nd and 1 out, a ball was hit just to the right of my daughter who was playing shortstop. She should have flipped it over to 3rd for the force, but she turned and threw it over to first. She would have had the girl by at least 3 steps but the first baseman dropped the ball. I could see that our coach was upset about her decision to throw it over to first. I shook my head too, but the girl would have been out. I do agree that she should have flipped it to 3rd though. I did talk to her about it after the game.

So now the other team had the bases loaded with only 1 out. Another walk made it 9-8. On the first pitch to the next batter the ball got behind the catcher and the girl at 3rd tried to make it home to tie the game, but our pitcher was able to cover the plate as the catcher flipped it to her just in time for the girl to be tagged out. That was unreal when it happened. I can't blaim their coach for trying to tie it up.

It was really a close play though. Now there they had 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs. The count on the final batter was 3-0 with first base open, but our pitcher was able to get the count to 3-2, and the final pitch of the game was a foul tip that was caught by our catcher. Game over! :P Our girls won and are now in the championship game this coming Saturday. Because it is "Double Elimination" if they lose the first game it will be ok. Because they havn't lost a playoff game yet. If they win it's all over and they will hoist the trophy for the 3rd consecutive year. If they lose that 1st game than they will have to play again right after that game.

It would wind up being a doubleheader for the Varsity Championship.

This game was really a big win because it affords them the luxury of playing that 2nd game if they do lose the 1st game on Saturday. The team they beat tonight will be playing tomorrow to see who will be playing us.

Thems a lot of werds. Is your daughter's can size in there? :dunno:

:D

For only being 13 she is pretty filled out. She is also 5'6. The boys are always calling now too. :cry: