Sign in to follow this  
Let Da Big Dog Eat

Thinking about starting another league

6 owners. Each drafts the entire roster of an NFL team. QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, D. Each owner drafts 4 teams leaving 8 on the WW. Std scoring. You must play at least 1 player from each team on your roster (except bye weeks of course). Think it might be a fun experiment. And, please bear in mind that this is just that, an experiment.

Am thinking that this format could make for some interesting decision making. For example, does one draft Balt knowing one will have a kick-ass D but little else? How high should one take Az or Cinn knowing that each has at least 3 worthy starters? Should there be a limit on how many starters one can start from 1 team? Should that rule be modified for bye weeks?

Thoughts?

I actually really like that idea.

Just another thing to add on:

you could do IDP's to give the teams equal value because nearly every team has either a prolific offense or stifling defense (or at least explosive players on one side of the ball). This could prevent the all offense teams such as Indy, Cincy, and New Orleans from going 1,2,3 and simply grabbing a D later on, which most owners tend to do and as it would only count as one position, would make teams with a strong D far less valuable. Basically, IDPs would give offense and defense equal value and make things more interesting, which I think is what you're trying to accomplish anyway.

Overall though, great idea. Let me know how it turns out.

I actually really like that idea.

Just another thing to add on:

you could do IDP's to give the teams equal value because nearly every team has either a prolific offense or stifling defense (or at least explosive players on one side of the ball). This could prevent the all offense teams such as Indy, Cincy, and New Orleans from going 1,2,3 and simply grabbing a D later on, which most owners tend to do and as it would only count as one position, would make teams with a strong D far less valuable. Basically, IDPs would give offense and defense equal value and make things more interesting, which I think is what you're trying to accomplish anyway.

Overall though, great idea. Let me know how it turns out.

Was thinking about that as well and the more I think about it, the more inclined I am to add IDP's. Am also thinking about making it a Dynasty after a year of experimentation. Would allow those like me, who have lived all over the US to follow multiple teams in more depth. For example, I lived in the DC area for a number of years with Joe Jacoby as a neighbor and friend so have a natural desire to draft the Skins.

Good suggestion! That's the kind of feedback I am looking for.

I have had an similar idea for a couple of years.

All NFL teams are randomly assigned to owners in a (extremely dedicated) 32 man league.

FF owners are given first rights to players on his assigned team.

Team rosters would then be cut down by the team owner to:

3 QB

4 RB

5 WR

2 TE

1 K

1 D (IDPs could be added as well or any year therafter)

For instance, If I pulled the Chargers, my team would look like

QB - Rivers, Volek, Whitehurst

RB - Tomlinson, Turner, Sproles, Neil

WR - Jackson, Davis, Parker, Floyd, Osgood

TE - Gates, Manumaleuna

K - Kaeding

D - Chargers

All remaining players not selected would then be put into the free agent pool.

Since it is a keeper, quality depth would be a major factor. For instance, in the league's first year every team will be lacking starting depth. Since I have the Chargers and I selected M.Turner to my roster, next year I would have 2 quality starting RBs with LT and Turner featured on a new team.

The yearly rookie draft, waivers & trades should keep the playing field level for all teams.

Thoughts?

I have had an similar idea for a couple of years.

All NFL teams are randomly assigned to owners in a (extremely dedicated) 32 man league.

FF owners are given first rights to players on his assigned team.

Team rosters would then be cut down by the team owner to:

3 QB

4 RB

5 WR

2 TE

1 K

1 D (IDPs could be added as well or any year therafter)

For instance, If I pulled the Chargers, my team would look like

QB - Rivers, Volek, Whitehurst

RB - Tomlinson, Turner, Sproles, Neil

WR - Jackson, Davis, Parker, Floyd, Osgood

TE - Gates, Manumaleuna

K - Kaeding

D - Chargers

All remaining players not selected would then be put into the free agent pool.

Since it is a keeper, quality depth would be a major factor. For instance, in the league's first year every team will be lacking starting depth. Since I have the Chargers and I selected M.Turner to my roster, next year I would have 2 quality starting RBs with LT and Turner featured on a new team.

The yearly rookie draft, waivers & trades should keep the playing field level for all teams.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you just hijacked this guys post :P :P :ninja:

My thoughts are that you just hijacked this guys post :P :P :banana:

Sorry if this appears as a hijack. Not intended.

:wub:

I'm going to reply to the original poster.......

I like this idea, but would offer a few suggestions:

1. Bump it up to 8 owners and 3 teams per owner.

2. Make each owner pick a 'corps' of players from each team in their starting lineup...ie if I have Arizona and Indy, I pick the Indy Wideouts OR the AZ Wideouts, not Fitzgerald, Wayne and Harrison individually.

3. Start the following positions: Quarterbacks, Running Backs, Receivers, Defensive Line, Linebackers, Defensive Backs, and Special Teams.

4. Score: 6pts per TD, 1 point per 20 total yards (ru + re) for each of RB and Rec, 1 point per 40 Pa Yd for QBs, 3 points per sack, INT and fumble recover per Defensive Group, 6pts per TD and 3pts per fieldgoal for special teams.

Either way, I would be game for joining a league like this.

6 owners. Each drafts the entire roster of an NFL team. QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, D. Each owner drafts 4 teams leaving 8 on the WW. Std scoring. You must play at least 1 player from each team on your roster (except bye weeks of course). Think it might be a fun experiment. And, please bear in mind that this is just that, an experiment.

Am thinking that this format could make for some interesting decision making. For example, does one draft Balt knowing one will have a kick-ass D but little else? How high should one take Az or Cinn knowing that each has at least 3 worthy starters? Should there be a limit on how many starters one can start from 1 team? Should that rule be modified for bye weeks?

Thoughts?

We tried a similar format about 6 years ago. The league only lasted one year because of the lack of activity during the year. Waiver wire pickups and trades were almost zero.

I'm going to reply to the original poster.......

I like this idea, but would offer a few suggestions:

1. Bump it up to 8 owners and 3 teams per owner.

2. Make each owner pick a 'corps' of players from each team in their starting lineup...ie if I have Arizona and Indy, I pick the Indy Wideouts OR the AZ Wideouts, not Fitzgerald, Wayne and Harrison individually.

3. Start the following positions: Quarterbacks, Running Backs, Receivers, Defensive Line, Linebackers, Defensive Backs, and Special Teams.

4. Score: 6pts per TD, 1 point per 20 total yards (ru + re) for each of RB and Rec, 1 point per 40 Pa Yd for QBs, 3 points per sack, INT and fumble recover per Defensive Group, 6pts per TD and 3pts per fieldgoal for special teams.

Either way, I would be game for joining a league like this.

I like the idea of 8 owners and 3 teams. Think it would make it more competitive and increase activity.

We tried a similar format about 6 years ago. The league only lasted one year because of the lack of activity during the year. Waiver wire pickups and trades were almost zero.

I would not expect a ton of activity but I would expect some.......

I also am toying with the idea that each owner automatically gets his "franchise" team. Meaning that if your favorite team is the 9er's, you would automatically get them but would not be allowed to drop or trade them unless the owner or the team relocates.

The idea came to me as just something different to do for those who are in multiple leagues and own but play against the same player week in and week out.