Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

Brandon Jacobs

Osi Umenyiora and Brandon Jacobs both read the reports that they'd be sidelined for at least a month, but both said yesterday that they expect to be back much sooner than that.

In fact, Umenyiora, who suffered an irritation of the lateral meniscus in his left knee on Sunday night - an injury that a source close to the defensive end said could keep him out up to four weeks - wouldn't rule out returning for the Giants' home opener this Sunday.

"I'm not going to completely rule it out, but I'm not going to say I am definitely going to be back either," said Umenyiora, who will be reevaluated today by Dr. Russell Warren, the Giants' team physician. "It's somewhere in between."

Tom Coughlin said Umenyiora remains day-to-day, but he added, "I have to tell you, I'm encouraged by (his progress)."

Jacobs, who sources said will be out 3-5 weeks with a sprained MCL, has already been declared out of Sunday's game, but he believes his projected timetable is a little long, too. "I have no idea how long, but I know that's most definitely not it," he said. "I know it'll be sooner than five weeks."

more...

On Wednesday, Newsday reported that Jacobs was seen in the locker room walking without a limp or a wrap on his injured right knee. When asked his possible return date, the superhuman Jacobs replied "It sure won't be five weeks. I'll be running by next week."

I hope he stays out until Eli gets back. Against his next three opponents, he will get hurt big time if there is no passing game unless he runs behind the Pilsbury Throw Boy.

I just hope he grabs the football and not an accidental roll-of-belly