Sign in to follow this  
Slimer

Dynasty/Keeper League Strategy

I've played redraft leagues for years, but this year is the first in a dynasty/keeper league. Firstly... is there a difference between the two names? I know we're only in 1/4 of the season, but I'm thinking in this kind of a league, it's never too early to plan...esp if I want to do some trading!

I digress... so this year we drafted 14 players and each year every owner must keep 4 players, but has the option to keep up to 6. This is a 10 team league. For next year's draft, everyone has a first round pick. Your second round pick is forfeited if you keep a 5th player. Everyone has a third round pick, but your fourth round pick is forfeited if you keep a 6th player.

In the league, we start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR/TE, 1 FLEX, 1K, 1DEF (No Points Per Reception)... Yardage and TD only.

So... any one have tips, stories, strategies for keeping or drafting in this type of league?

At the moment, I'm sitting on the following players who I potentially can keep... Thoughts about any of them?

Willie Parker*

Ronnie Brown*

Clinton Portis*

Torry Holt*

Marquez Colston*

Antonio Gates*

Selvin Young

Phillip Rivers

*Are players I'm thinking about keeping... are they worth keeping for what I would give up?

Rivers and Young... not sure about... but if I keep them, who would I not keep?

Thanks!

Interesting post ... let's work through this:

First off, our definite keepers ... Check Willie Parker ... Ronnie Brown finally has his chance to flourish as a stud runningback prospect, now that Cam Cameron is his head coach, plus the offensive line will only get better, so I'd be eager to hang onto him (too bad it's not a PPR league) ... I'd keep Clinton Portis as well, he can likely finish as a Top 10 back every year, and I suspect Bill Cowher will replace Joe Gibbs in Washingon after this season so Portis will still be on a team that is dedicated to running the ball ... and of course, Antonio Gates has to be kept, he's the Marvin Harrison of tight ends imo and prodcues like a WR1 (especially as San Diego doesn't have a receiving option anywhere near his ability).

So that makes four definite keepers of Willie Parker, Ronnie Brown, Clinton Portis, and Antonio Gates. Your RB core is three-deep with potential/likely RB1s, which is excellent, and you've got a stud receiving option for the future.

As for the rest, let's see. If we pick a 5th keeper, that's at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Is Torry Holt worth a 2nd round pick in a non-PPR 10-team league? He'd probably fall to the 3rd round, I would think. He has some durability issues, and while Marc Bulger is signed long-term, the state of the Rams offensive line is a key factor. Remember, you've got your RB core set and you can use your 1st round and 2nd round picks elsewhere.

Is Marques Colston worth a 2nd round pick in a non-PPR 10-team league? I don't think so, quite honestly. Especially with how the Saints look now.

Now, is the pair of Torry Holt and Marques Colston worth a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick? Hmm, maybe. Depending on how many receivers the other nine owners are keeping for themselves, I suppose. And if Holt and Colston show you enough before the end of the season to make that decision.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Geohound. Your post makes lots of sense. There's not much out there on Keeper League strategy... so hopefully this can add to it... and maybe helping my thinking about my team too!

If the season ended now (which we are far from), I'd be stoked with these three "stud" RB1s... especially with all the others that have gone down. Gates will be a "go-to" guy for Rivers for years to come... assuming Rivers gets more consistent. But of course, it's still early... and after all the injuries so far... there's still concern about injuries!

As for Colston and Holt... I sure hope Brees comes around soon because I would love Colston to have some value... and of course, let's see if Holt's knees hold up. If the best happens for both, and I can keep both, I think I have a SOLID 6 position players for years to come with the only need to pick up a solid QB in the first round of my draft next year... but the great thing about a keeper league is there's lots of "let's wait and see," and I'll have lots of fun analyzing the other teams to figure out what should be available next year!