Sign in to follow this  
preilly

Advice for Commish

I'm the commish of a $ league among friends.

I was offered Owens for Favre and accepted the deal because I'm very weak at WR (Evans, Santana, Djax, Roddy), and I also have Brady. The Owens owner is fed up with inconsistent play from Rivers in a league where QB scoring is pretty important (6 of the top 10 scorers are QBs).

I've had a complaint that the trade is unfair. It definitely helps my team but I don't think it's really lopsided. Our league scoring 0.5 PPR and 0.25 points per completion. Favre is currently the #4 scoring QB, Owens is the #10 WR.

The league rules don't allow voting on trades, so it's up to me to maintain the integrity of the league in the cases of collusion, etc (I've never vetoed a trade in the 4 years I've run the league). I don't get specific in the rules about vetoing, I just say that it the sole responsibility of the commish to veto trades, but that complaints will be heard.

What do you guys think? Is this trade too lopsided? Should I veto my own trade to keep the peace?

Here are the lineups: (Start QB/2RB/3WR/TE)

Me (4-1):

Brady, Favre

Evans, Santana, Djax, Roddy

Parker, Bush, ADP, Foster, Selvin

Winslow

Owens Owner (2-3):

Rivers, Losman

Gore, JJ, Wynn, Taylor

Owens, Cotchery, Ward, Jennings, Henderson, Glenn

Shockey, Watson

No problem with that trade at all. You get a very good WR to help a weak WR roster, and he gets what he believes is an upgrade at QB.

I'd note, though, that you might want to consider a rule change after this year (or now, if everyone agrees) appointing a "co-commissioner" to rule upon trades involving your team.

First off, there is no way this should be vetoed. But before allowing it through I would talk to an owner you trust and see what he thinks. Is the owens owner a newbie?

First off, there is no way this should be vetoed. But before allowing it through I would talk to an owner you trust and see what he thinks. Is the owens owner a newbie?

The Owens owner knows what he's doing, he finished 2nd or 3rd last year and lost in the playoffs.

In my personal experience, I've found it best to call a couple of guys in the league (IE your friends in the league) and "clear" it with them first (get them to buy that it wasn't collusion/cheating). If you do that, you have a few folks on your side, and you should be fine (assuming that your deal is legit.).

Anybody who questions this trade is doing so because they know nothing about fantasy football or they don't want to see your team or the other guys team get better. The value of this trade is about what it does for each owner. It appears that it helps both of you, possibly in a big way.

There is no way this trade should be stopped by anyone. If it is, stop playing with those clowns.