Sign in to follow this  
Eagles Green

An employee of mine

Princeton grad who used to do these interviews. Not fishing. (Most kids get interviewed by alumni, as opposed to folks from the admissions office.)

These things tend to go best when the student is just being him/herself. Being enthusiastic about Princeton is fine, but overdoing it is a turnoff.

That being said, the interview is a very small part of the application. Her grades, activities, awards/honors, and what she writes on the application are bigger factors. (SATs are not, really, as long as they don't suck.) The main purpose of the interview is to draw out things that might not have shown up otherwise.

Thanks.

She believes the interview went well, but who the hell knows. The interviewer is a professor at the school, and they apparently hit it off. She already has a date set in the summer to teach the woman how to surf.

I would expect her to do well in the interview, she has a very likable personality.

Grades are great (4.2 gpa), sats very good. Awards/ honors and a bunch of extra-curriculars all there.

:fingers crossed:

Oh, and if she does get in, she'll spend her four years banging lacrosse players. I know that type all too well.

I don't know, she's very choosy. She only dates surfers..........and surfers that are really good. We call her a pro-hoe.

Thanks.

She believes the interview went well, but who the hell knows. The interviewer is a professor at the school, and they apparently hit it off. She already has a date set in the summer to teach the woman how to surf.

I would expect her to do well in the interview, she has a very likable personality.

Grades are great (4.2 gpa), sats very good. Awards/ honors and a bunch of extra-curriculars all there.

:fingers crossed:

Sounds like she's got a shot. Is she applying to other upper-echelon schools or will she go to a Villanova-type school if she doesn't get in to Princeton?

However, it's way more of a crapshoot now than it was when I was going through the process. In 1989, we were at a low point in demographics, and the college-admission frenzy wasn't as crazy as it is now. (Only a handful of kids had "admissions consultants" and stuff like that. Now a bunch do.) There were probably about half as many kids applying back then, and the acceptance rate was something like 15%. Now it's less than 10%, with a much larger pool to pick from. My family's alumni background notwithstanding, I dunno if I'd have been able to get in if I were applying now. This means that many, many kids who have great credentials -- including some who would have been locks 15 years ago -- are being turned away.

I don't recall many surfer types when I was there. In any case, hot chicks have no problem getting laid at Princeton, as there aren't many of them.

Sounds like she's got a shot. Is she applying to other upper-echelon schools or will she go to a Villanova-type school if she doesn't get in to Princeton?

However, it's way more of a crapshoot now than it was when I was going through the process. In 1989, we were at a low point in demographics, and the college-admission frenzy wasn't as crazy as it is now. (Only a handful of kids had "admissions consultants" and stuff like that. Now a bunch do.) There were probably about half as many kids applying back then, and the acceptance rate was something like 15%. Now it's less than 10%, with a much larger pool to pick from. My family's alumni background notwithstanding, I dunno if I'd have been able to get in if I were applying now. This means that many, many kids who have great credentials -- including some who would have been locks 15 years ago -- are being turned away.

I don't recall many surfer types when I was there. In any case, hot chicks have no problem getting laid at Princeton, as there aren't many of them.

She applied to UPenn also, but I don't think she wants to go there. I guess it was more of a leverage thing, by applying to another Ivy leaguer.