Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy918

Will Zorn be good for Portis?

Portis caught 47 balls in 07 and i don't really know if the West coast off. is going to improve on that or not. I don't remember Alexader ever catching many balls out of the backfield. I thought most backs have more receptions in the WCO but now i don't know what to expect from Zorn (Portis) in 08.

Thoughts and input are much appreciated

Portis caught 47 balls in 07 and i don't really know if the West coast off. is going to improve on that or not. I don't remember Alexader ever catching many balls out of the backfield. I thought most backs have more receptions in the WCO but now i don't know what to expect from Zorn (Portis) in 08.

Thoughts and input are much appreciated

I think if anything cambell takes a while to learn the WC system- therefore- they will have to rely more on portis, thus I think he catches more balls this year and should be online for another 1500 total yrd 10+ TD campaign

I think if anything cambell takes a while to learn the WC system- therefore- they will have to rely more on portis, thus I think he catches more balls this year and should be online for another 1500 total yrd 10+ TD campaign

along those lines of Campbell learning the WCO, although i think it will hurt the QB's numbers, i think it helps Portis in rec. numbers (not necessarily too much over his 47 from last year though), simply because he may be more of a dump-off safety valve now... he may do more "chip" blocking to then slide out to give an easy target for Campbell - and if Campbell doesn't adjust to the WCO too quick, he may look to Portis alot...

I think this answer is predicated upon how well the offense as a whole adjusts to the new scheme. Too many factors, too early to tell if this is good or bad for Portis. I'll wait til camp to see how it goes.

Don't look at Alexander for comparisons. The only reason he never catches a lot of balls is because he's a crappy receiver and he has never tried to get any better at catching the ball. Along with his crappy pass blocking, he has to be the illest-suited WCO back to have the type of success he has had.

Last time Portis was in a WCO was when he was back in Denver. The Skins don't have as good of an O-line though.

I did read where Zorn was impressed with Clinton's pass catching skills. He inferred that Portis may stay on the field more. It sounds like Betts will be more of a traditional backup. Coming in for a complete series here and there to relieve Portis. There is a lot to still transpire between now and the season. of course. But it sounds like whoever is in at the time will be used for rushing and in the passing game while they are on the field.

I did read where Zorn was impressed with Clinton's pass catching skills. He inferred that Portis may stay on the field more. It sounds like Betts will be more of a traditional backup. Coming in for a complete series here and there to relieve Portis. There is a lot to still transpire between now and the season. of course. But it sounds like whoever is in at the time will be used for rushing and in the passing game while they are on the field.

Yea, I read that also. That is good to hear and being a safety valve as Campbell learns the offense should certainly increase his catches.

Cooley and Sellers will be the prime beneficiaries of Zorn's system. Not saying it'll hurt Portis but, if you're looking for guys whose touches and effectiveness will jump, put them at the top of your list.