Sign in to follow this  
the_risen_demon

Rookies: Who do you like after the big 3?

Long time FFToday reader, first time poster. Our league's rookie draft isn't until after the final week of preseason games, but there is of course no offseason. I hold the #4 and #5 picks in the draft and need help at running back. The owner with the 1.1 pick is a lock to take McFadden, and I'm expecting Stewart and Mendenhall to go 2-3. I have been impressed with Matt Forte and his situation seems to be shaping up favorably. Kevin Smith would seem the next logical pick, but watching his highlights, I'm just not impressed. He runs too upright and doesn't gain yards after contact. Before the NFL draft, I became enamored with Chris Johnson. Low center of gravity, good body lean, great receiving skills and blazing speed. But Tennessee seems like a much more difficult path to a starting gig than Detroit. What do you guys think, am I crazy to want Johnson over Smith? Ours is a non-PPR league, .1 points/yard and 6 points per TD. My current backs (if it affects your advice) are:

Rudi Johnson

Edgerrin James

Thomas Jones

Selvin Young

Chris Taylor

Kenny Watson

Thanks in advance for your help.

Long time FFToday reader, first time poster. Our league's rookie draft isn't until after the final week of preseason games, but there is of course no offseason. I hold the #4 and #5 picks in the draft and need help at running back. The owner with the 1.1 pick is a lock to take McFadden, and I'm expecting Stewart and Mendenhall to go 2-3. I have been impressed with Matt Forte and his situation seems to be shaping up favorably. Kevin Smith would seem the next logical pick, but watching his highlights, I'm just not impressed. He runs too upright and doesn't gain yards after contact. Before the NFL draft, I became enamored with Chris Johnson. Low center of gravity, good body lean, great receiving skills and blazing speed. But Tennessee seems like a much more difficult path to a starting gig than Detroit. What do you guys think, am I crazy to want Johnson over Smith? Ours is a non-PPR league, .1 points/yard and 6 points per TD. My current backs (if it affects your advice) are:

Rudi Johnson

Edgerrin James

Thomas Jones

Selvin Young

Chris Taylor

Kenny Watson

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would take Forte and Smith. Of course if Mendenhall or Stewart fall I would take one of them. Johnson, especially in non-PPR is not going to get you anything. I think Smith is more talented and in a better situation. Johnson is a combine guy. I am not sold. The first 6-9 picks should be RB in most scoring systems this year.

I agree that I would pair either Medenhall or Stewart with Forte if one should fall to me. I'm not concerned as much what Chris Johnson or Kevin Smith will do for me in 2008. I have other veteran backs that can play for me in the coming season. But if Johnson will be the better long term prospect, then that's what I want. I didn't watch a lick of East Carolina or Southern Florida football last fall, so all I have to go on is highlight reels. From those, I'd prefer Johnson (we'll be sick of the comparisons to Maurice Jones-Drew before too long, but I think they are justified), but if he only sees time on third down, I'll feel pretty foolish if I take him over Smith.

I like Kevin Smith slightly better than Chris Johnson but it's not because of his situation.That can change very quickly and in dynasty is not that important.

If one of the top 3 falls, take them of course.After that I think Forte, Smith and Johnson are gonna be closer than alot here think. I can say for sure that C.Johnson is not a combine guy, I did watch him in college and he has NFL skills. I think you will be well served to go with your gut on this one.If you like Johnson then seriously consider taking him at 5 or maybe moving down a pick or two, getting something decent for the move down and then taking whomever falls (good chance Johnson will fall to you, others are more hyped).

I like Kevin Smith slightly better than Chris Johnson but it's not because of his situation.That can change very quickly and in dynasty is not that important.

If one of the top 3 falls, take them of course.After that I think Forte, Smith and Johnson are gonna be closer than alot here think. I can say for sure that C.Johnson is not a combine guy, I did watch him in college and he has NFL skills. I think you will be well served to go with your gut on this one.If you like Johnson then seriously consider taking him at 5 or maybe moving down a pick or two, getting something decent for the move down and then taking whomever falls (good chance Johnson will fall to you, others are more hyped).

I too like Kevin Smith the best after the top 3 of McFadden, Mendenhall, and Stewart. I have them ranked like this:

Kevin Smith

Ray Rice

Matt Forte

Chris Johnson

Thanks for your input, guys. My draft is not until the end of the preseason, but I appreciate your help in getting my thoughts together.

I too like Kevin Smith the best after the top 3 of McFadden, Mendenhall, and Stewart. I have them ranked like this:

Kevin Smith

Ray Rice

Matt Forte

Chris Johnson

Kevin Smith

Matt Forte

Ray Rice

Chris Johnson

TRD, like you i've become somewhat, um, "smitten" with Chris Johnson. Everything I've seen from him I like. There is something about the way the kid runs that tells me he's going to end up being what we all hoped Reggie Bush would be but never became. With that said, i think the hype surround both Forte and Smith is WAY higher than what's going w/ Johnson. Were I in your shoes I would probably take Forte/Smith at 4/5 then turn right around and start trade discussions with the owner of Johnson. My feeling is that you could conceivably trade one for Johnson and maybe pick up a 3rd rounder or something. However, if you can't, take solace in the fact that you still likely have 2 starting RB now on your roster. Good luck.

What about Felix Jones? I think the argument can be made for him as much as (if not more than) a Chris Johnson or Ray Rice. Those guys, too, will be playing behind another established RB as well - however after seeing that MB3 can't carry the rock full-time, and with the Cowboy's established 1-2 punch already in place, I can see Felix filling in (and doing a better job) than Julius did.

In Baltimore, Rice is a lock at #2, but will they use a 2-RB system? McGahee's injury concerns make Rice a favorable candidate to take over the #1, but do you risk sitting and waiting for that to happen? Rice is durable too, so if he gets in, he'll be a workhorse.

In Tenn, Johnson will provide the lighting to LenDale's Thunder, so I can see him getting a few carries, but LenDale has proven that he can handle 25 carries a game.

Felix isn't worn down - remember he split carries with DMC at Oklahoma - and did pretty damn well there.

Kevin Smith and Matt Forte find themselves in the position to be "the" guy on their respective teams, but when you start to throw in #2 RB's into the conversation, I think Felix should garner a mention.

(and - believe it or not, I am NOT a Cowboy's fan!)