Sign in to follow this  
G3-175SE

OpenOffice.org 2.4.0

Hi G3. It has not worked in the past in OpenOffice. If 2.4 is new (since last summer) then we can give it another try, but the problem in the past has been OpenOffice does not support the backend programming in the Compiler and I suspect that will still be the case. But like I said, we can always try it out to see for sure.

Hi G3. It has not worked in the past in OpenOffice. If 2.4 is new (since last summer) then we can give it another try, but the problem in the past has been OpenOffice does not support the backend programming in the Compiler and I suspect that will still be the case. But like I said, we can always try it out to see for sure.

It is new, just a few months ago.

I still have Excel but is the 1997 version. I never upgraded but compiler has worked fine. I was considering upgrading to excel 2003 but I found OpenOffice and it was free and works for most of the things I need. Can't beat free.

Man, I meant to come back to this, but its hard to believe people are still using the Compiler and Buddy with Excel 97. Is it slow? Does the update projections feature work?

It does seem to work OK. I don't have anything to gauge it by but it seems to update reasonably fast.

Glad to hear it G3. I'm a bit surprised all the new stuff added over the years still works in Excel 97, but its great that it does. Excel 97 or even 2000 are so old, its too bad we can't distribute them for free with every Compiler and Buddy purchase :thumbsup:

Hey, so it kind of works in OpenOffice.

I'm no expert, so I'm not sure if I understand it right. But it seems like OpenOffice includes a form of BASIC called StarOfficeBASIC.

The systems are not entirely compatible. There's a big pdf made by openoffice about converting macros. It's not a simple process.

http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO...arBasicXref.pdf

I don't really understand what they're saying the differences are.

OpenOffice tries to convert it automatically. Some things work. The Save League Profile button seems to work fine (although one of the things that is different is the command to turn off screen updating, so all the text quickly scrolls by).

The other functions seem to run into problems with the RANGE function. In StarBASIC, it's getCellRangeByName (or something like that).

I'm sure the last thing you would want to do (even if you had the time) would be to learn a new form of basic and then convert all the macros into that. It might solve your Macintosh problem though, as there's a version of OpenOffice called NeoOffice which is designed for the Mac and appears to have the same BASIC support built into it.

Hey Zac. Welcome back for '08.

Thanks for the info on OpenOffice. Every little bit helps as we try to make things as compatible as possible for everyone. Although, you're right, I'm not keen to convert all the macros so they work in OpenOffice. Of course I'm not in a good state of mind to think about that right now. I've spent the last week pouring over a Visual Basic to AppleScript conversion guide trying to figure out how to get us onside with Mac Office 2008. There is some progress being made there, and I will update that thread when I have a little more info to share.

I did come across NeoOffice recently, as it indicates it has Visual Basic support, but the Compiler and Buddy do not work in NeoOffice at this time.

Glad to hear it G3. I'm a bit surprised all the new stuff added over the years still works in Excel 97, but its great that it does. Excel 97 or even 2000 are so old, its too bad we can't distribute them for free with every Compiler and Buddy purchase :overhead:

I bought the latest version of complier/draft buddy and it still updates in excel 97. Takes less then 5 minutes. Is that good?

Thats great, I think. Now just don't go getting Windows Vista installed on your computer. It seems some Excel 97 users (more of you than I would have thought) had issues with the Compiler and Buddy on Windows Vista. It seems the new Win operating system did not like working in tandem with a program 10 years its senior.

Thats great, I think. Now just don't go getting Windows Vista installed on your computer. It seems some Excel 97 users (more of you than I would have thought) had issues with the Compiler and Buddy on Windows Vista. It seems the new Win operating system did not like working in tandem with a program 10 years its senior.

I have heard the same. Office 97 does't work in Vista. If you are going to use Excel in Vista you will have to upgrade to at least 2003. I don't expect to upgrade anytime soon, I am quite happy with XP.

I agree. I'm not sure why I would switch from XP... until I defect over to a Mac!