Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Mac Office 2008 Users

We love our Mac users - always have, always will - in particular because the Compiler and Draft Buddy by virute of being in Excel, are the only fantasy football custom ranking and draft tool on the market that works on a Mac ... without doing some funky "make my Windows programs work on my Mac" thing. Anyway, there is now an issue for Mac Office 2008 users caused by some poor decision making by Microsoft (surprise). Lets discuss some possible solutions to this.

Here is the backstory on this issue.

Well, great. I'm running Office 2008 for Mac and, sure enough, the macros don't work. Kinda wish I'd known about this glitch before I purchased. I am perfectly willing to lay boatloads of blame at the feet of Microsoft, but wouldn't a little disclaimer on the purchase page be a good idea?

So: any solutions?

Thanks.

We love our Mac users - always have, always will - in particular because the Compiler and Draft Buddy by virute of being in Excel, are the only fantasy football custom ranking and draft tool on the market that works on a Mac ... without doing some funky "make my Windows programs work on my Mac" thing. Anyway, there is now an issue for Mac Office 2008 users caused by some poor decision making by Microsoft (surprise). Lets discuss some possible solutions to this.

Here is the backstory on this issue.

Hi juanboy. Sorry about this. Yes, a disclaimer would be a good idea, but I'm still trying to get a handle on how many people this impacts and don't want to confuse the matter for people it doesn't impact at all. Not a lot of progress in terms of solutions outside of me buying a new Mac, buying Office 2008 and re-programming everything in AppleScript to have a completely different version. That is an expensive and time consuming option. Again, I'm trying to get a handle on how many people this impacts. Drop me an email at compiler@fftoday.com so we can discuss further.

I'm a longtime Mac user and am again disappointed by the shortsightedness of Microslut. All that I can see is that Office 08 users are out of luck. I thought that maybe Apple's version of the Office suite would work, but apparently Numbers (the program) has the same issues. The only option I see is using the old version of Office.

I'd say add a disclaimer to your Cheatsheet/Compiler page warning people of the issue. It would be nice if MS patched Excel but everything looks like that is way off and will come as a full version.

I'm a longtime Mac user and am again disappointed by the shortsightedness of Microslut. All that I can see is that Office 08 users are out of luck. I thought that maybe Apple's version of the Office suite would work, but apparently Numbers (the program) has the same issues. The only option I see is using the old version of Office.

I'd say add a disclaimer to your Cheatsheet/Compiler page warning people of the issue. It would be nice if MS patched Excel but everything looks like that is way off and will come as a full version.

My sentiments, exactly.

Any progress or solution to this? I am also impacted. Been a long time user of the compiler and apple. Wish I would have never upgraded to office 2008.

Hi jjv11. Here is the latest news: After doing a lot of research on AppleScript myself, I realized I was in over my head trying to re-program the Visual Basic to AppleScript for use in Mac Office 2008. Therefore, I hired a programmer to come up with a solution for us. I hate this is happening right now, but it is what it is. He plans to turn something back to me in about 10-14 days, and since it is a straight conversion from what we are using now, hopefully that timeline is realistic. If you can be patient, great. If you can find an old version of Office, also great. I understand the old version of Office and Office 2008 can both be installed on the computer at the same time and run side-by-side, if that helps.

I can wait. I will also try and re-install my older version of excel, if I can find it. I'll let you know how it works.

JV

Hi jjv11. Here is the latest news: After doing a lot of research on AppleScript myself, I realized I was in over my head trying to re-program the Visual Basic to AppleScript for use in Mac Office 2008. Therefore, I hired a programmer to come up with a solution for us. I hate this is happening right now, but it is what it is. He plans to turn something back to me in about 10-14 days, and since it is a straight conversion from what we are using now, hopefully that timeline is realistic. If you can be patient, great. If you can find an old version of Office, also great. I understand the old version of Office and Office 2008 can both be installed on the computer at the same time and run side-by-side, if that helps.

Thanks for trying to get this resolved! I am also a long time compiler and Mac user and it would be of great value to me if you can get this working with Office 2008. Thanks again for trying to come up with a solution to this! :wacko:

Just checking in to see if you have any new updates for us Mac Users. Also one suggestion if possible when you think you got the kinks worked out maybe a sample version of the program just to see if your system is compatible with the program before you make the purchase just to see if it runs correctly

Unfortunately I have an update but its not a positive one. The programmer I had lined up for us did not work out. It wasn't so much converting the Visual Basic to AppleScript, but figuring out a way to interface the AppleScript to Excel so users can trigger the appropriate functions at the appropriate times. Essentially, he couldn't do it. I tried a couple other contacts but have had no luck. Now with the busy season getting closer, I'm less hopeful we're going to come up with a solution. If anyone has any ideas, then lets here them.

I just received this morning some great info from one of our Mac users, Jon. I'll just quote the whole email...

Hey, Mike...

I saw the topic regarding the problems with using the drafting programs with Excel for Mac, but the system wouldn't let me reply to the comments. I found a semi-functional workaround using the free "test drive" version of Office 2004 that Microsoft still has on their web site. I say "semi" because it's only functional for 30 days, which doesn't even get us to week 1 at this point. But it will load the draft programs and the macros did appear to work as they should, based on some limited testing that I did. (Despite being a Mac guy, I prefer to run the draft from the Windows version of Excel so I didn't get too deep into it.)

The program can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

For what it's worth, Microsoft claims they are bringing back VBA support in the next version of Office. But god only knows how far off that will be.

Thanks for making a great product- it helped me get into the playoffs with an undefeated record last year. My friends hate the fact that I'm playing on their dime now- and that I remind them of this fact whenever I can!

Jon

Now I realize this may not help some of you who are doing your FF from a work machine (for shame! - HA! :doublethumbsup: ) if you can't install new programs on your Mac, but hopefully this helps a few. MS Office 2004 and 2008 will install and run side-by-side on the same computer without bothering each other. That applies to Windows and Mac. I have both Win versions on my desktop.

I just received this morning some great info from one of our Mac users, Jon. I'll just quote the whole email...

Now I realize this may not help some of you who are doing your FF from a work machine (for shame! - HA! :wave: ) if you can't install new programs on your Mac, but hopefully this helps a few. MS Office 2004 and 2008 will install and run side-by-side on the same computer without bothering each other. That applies to Windows and Mac. I have both Win versions on my desktop.

So download and install it when you're less than a month away from your draft date, I guess. :thumbsdown:

Ok . . . I installed Excel 04 (which I can do via my company's volume license and my registered copy of 08). Anyhow, I copied over the files from my Windows PC (I moved to mac). I can open all 4 files (compiler 07 and 08 and draft budy 07 and 08). When I try to update 2008 it tells me that it cannot find the 07 file . . . though the path and name is shows are exact. Anyone help me? I really want to use this on the mac.

Hey Greg. Glad you are all set up and ready to go (almost). I don't think that issue has anything to do with the Office 2008 vs. 2004 problems. On all Macs however, you need to have both files open to use functions like Setup Draft Buddy and Copy League Profiles and Copy to Compiler (Projection Pal). Basically anything where one Excel files needs to copy to another.

So, if you are Copying League Profiles from '07, open the '07 Compiler file. Then open the '08 Compiler file. In the '08 Compiler file check the filename for the '07 is typed correctly, which you've done. Now try hitting the button in the '08 Compiler file. That do it?

that was it, more or less. Complier worked perfect. Draft buddy 08 looks at compiler 08 and comes up . . . but there are no fantasy team names in it as I had in draft buddy. Lets make sure I am doing this right:

I opened compiler 07 and 08. I did the import function in 08 and it worked perfectly. Then I opened draft buddy 07 and 08, but it looks like there is not a league import from one to the other. Rather, Draft buddy gets its data from Compiler. So I opened compiler 08 (now updated) and ran setup league. It more or less set it up . . . 12 teams and my scoring model . . . but no team names.

Thats right, you've got it. There is no import into Buddy from the prior year. You have to re-input the team and owner names (in the new draft order). Or maybe you can just copy/paste from '07 to '08. Maybe I should start having the team inputs in the Compiler so they will copy over from the prior year. Or maybe we can even get both of these things into one program... some day. Krueger might fall off his chair if I make that happen. Someone slow me down. I'm getting ahead of myself here :banana:

having team names in complier might be nice, but it is not a huge deal by any means. At the price of this product and the level of support I have always seen on this forum, it is a great deal as is. But like any driven company or people, I know this product will keep getting better.

Excel 04 is a fine solution for me now that I have switched to a mac. I think it is an acceptable solution this year. Maybe in the next year a better solution can be figured out. Again, I am very pleased that an effort was put forth to do this. I will say that Macs are becoming more popular every minute, especially with Vista out there. I have made my living doing MS infrastructure work for 10 years (AD, exchange, SQL) along with Cisco and Linux and other stuff . . . but I have switched to a Mac and most peers I know have too. That should tell everyone something.

Argh... for the record, I'm a Mac User as well. I used Draft Buddy last year for the first time (mostly because it was Mac-able). I was very happy how my drafts went last year... now I come back to see that office 2008 has issues! :dunno: I know, I can still make this work... but it's a hassle...

I have to decide whether it's worth the hassle (I'll have to get the old office CDs from my work... though they have upgraded to office 2008...) and since I want the early-bird discount, I'll have to decide today. (I know $4 is not much, but hey, it's a gallon of gas!)

I agree with the other poster that you should have a warning about Office 2008 for Mac users. If I hadn't been a previous user, I would not have gone to the forums and seen this... then I would have been angry at you instead of Microsoft.

Hey Troy. I know it sucks but our hands are tied, at least in the short-term. We did post a note about this issue on the Compiler sales page right below the order box.

Hey Troy. I know it sucks but our hands are tied, at least in the short-term. We did post a note about this issue on the Compiler sales page right below the order box.

I didn't see it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. :headbanger: I have a short attention span (one of the main reasons why I'm just now getting to looking into this... I'm a procrastinator as well)... I think I'm going to be ok. I have installed boot camp on my laptop and happened to find a copy of Windows and some old office CDs.

I'm currently installing Office for XP on it. I'll then see if I can open the 2007 compiler with the macros working... I may have to download an update for office (it looks like I have Excel 2002)... do you think I'll need to download a converter to use the compiler?

BTW, I love your product. If I hadn't drafted Larry Johnson and then held on to him too long, I would have won my league last year! That was my fault, not yours... also, I'm far from upset at you guys, I'm upset with Microsoft... again... (one of many reasons why I changed to a Mac)

I've decided to go ahead and get this working!

My next computer purchase is going to be a Mac. Pretty sure about that. Not that I hate Windows/Microsoft, but its time to work on the "other side" for a while and try that out, especially since so many people love their Macs.

Excel 2002 - that should be fine, no converter necessary.

Didn't want to download the Mac Office 2004 trial version? Works for 30 days, so that would get you through to the end of August less a day.

My next computer purchase is going to be a Mac. Pretty sure about that. Not that I hate Windows/Microsoft, but its time to work on the "other side" for a while and try that out, especially since so many people love their Macs.

Excel 2002 - that should be fine, no converter necessary.

Didn't want to download the Mac Office 2004 trial version? Works for 30 days, so that would get you through to the end of August less a day.

I LOVE my two Macs!!! I never have problems (except when it comes to dealing with Microsoft). No more blue screens of death, no more viruses, no more computer locks. I was a big Mac hater in the 90s. I liked upgrading my hardware and didn't like to be, what I felt was, hogtied into their user interface idiocy... but, I think Mac OS X is awesome... and since I buy a new computer every 3-4 years, I don't upgrade as much as I used to. And now that Mac has the Intel chip... (plus boot camp... I've had boot camp installed on my iMac for awhile now) I can run Windows if I have to (which I do for some of my games).

As to the trial version of 2004. I don't like having a limited time to mess with stuff. My old Office stuff should work.

Your link is not correct. Did you copy it from the forum post rather than clicking it straight away, because it is not completely visible above:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

No, I clicked on it. I have been to the microsoft site and downloaded the software but when it is done downloading I get the messages I quoted in my prior post.

rbk

I'm not sure what to say rbk. No one else has reported this. Anyone? Anyone?

I'm not sure what to say rbk. No one else has reported this. Anyone? Anyone?

Ok. I have an email support request in to Microsoft. Hopefully, they can do something.

rbk

Ok. I have an email support request in to Microsoft. Hopefully, they can do something.

rbk

Oh no! You're going to blow our cover! :nono:

Seriously, let us know what happens.

Oh no! You're going to blow our cover! :pointstosky:

Seriously, let us know what happens.

I down loaded my trial offer last week. It works OK. I did have problem incorporating the league profiles from last year. Other than that I am getting ready for my draft with my Mac!

This might be getting late for some people but has anyone tried Neo Office? It's a free open-source program that might do the trick. I'm not sure about the ins and outs of it.

I tried it... or at least looked into it. The Visual Basic support is not advanced enough for the Compiler and Buddy programming.