Sign in to follow this  
Kilroy

Greg Olsen: TE, Chicago Bears

Greg Olsen: TE, Chicago Bears  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will Olsen be Steppin' Up or Steppin' Down in 2008?

• Steppin' Up
    • Steppin' Down
    • Stayin' Put

Olsen entered the NFL as a late first round pick of the Chicago Bears last season. While splitting time with incumbent starter Desmond Clark, he went on to start 5 games at tight end, playing in 14 total, and finishing the year with 2 touchdowns on 39 receptions, with 391 yards receiving.

Heading into the new season, it seems Olsen would be in good position to improve upon those numbers. The same issues that may have held him back as a rookie however will still be in place during his 2008 campaign. To begin with, he is still likely to split time with Desmond Clark. Even more of a hindrance perhaps will be the play of the Bears starting quarterback. Rex Grossman, last years starter, returns to the team with one last chance to hold down the starting title. Challanging him throughout training camp and the pre-season however will be Kyle Orton, a fourth round pick in 2005 who started 15 games for the Bears as a rookie.

Regardless of which QB is named the opening day starter however, neither is seen as an option that will make the most of Olsen's abilities.

Staying put. I don't see much room for optimism this year. He's a good catcher, but he probably still can't block to save his life. I'm not a Bear fan, so if someone's heard something different let me know. That means he'll still be playing behind Clark, who's a decent receiver himself. They've still got no running or passing game to open things up for the TE. He should be around where he was in his rookie season. I wouldn't expect much more.

Stepping down. All Chicago Bears are on my undraftable list.

Stepping down? How can a very talented TE who is converting from backup to starter, with a year of experience underneath his belt, possibly be in for a worse season than his rookie year? I completely understand the pessimism regarding the Chicago Bears offense, but Olsen will be heavily involved in the passing game this year, especially with the lack of talent at the WR position. He's an interesting TE1 if you wait around forever, and a great TE2 with upside.

Stepping up, possibly into the lower TE1 catagory.

Brandon Lloyd? Mark Bradley? Marty Booker?

Steppin' up by default. The dearth of young, healthy, and/or proven receivers should give him more targets...he's a good late round pick that you can throw back to the waiver wire if things aren't working out and find someone better. I'd take a chance on him very late in a draft if I continued to find good value elsewhere at RB and WR.

I still don't see any reason for him to step up. The WR's suck, but they weren't exactly all-stars last year either. As far as I know, Olsen still can't block and won't be the starting TE. I don't see how he can be a TE1 if he's not on the field for most of the plays. They can't just telegraph to the defence when they will be passing the ball by bringing him in. And it's not like they have WR's they have to roll coverage to, so they'll be plenty of defenders around to cover him (i.e., there's no one to open up the middle of the field for him). Add in the fact that the offence will suck, and I don't see how he could be more than a bye-week fill in.

Stepping down? How can a very talented TE who is converting from backup to starter, with a year of experience underneath his belt, possibly be in for a worse season than his rookie year? I completely understand the pessimism regarding the Chicago Bears offense, but Olsen will be heavily involved in the passing game this year, especially with the lack of talent at the WR position. He's an interesting TE1 if you wait around forever, and a great TE2 with upside.

Stepping up, possibly into the lower TE1 catagory.

This has not been established yet.

I said Stayin Put, it usually takes a TE at least 3 years to develop in the NFL, there are very few exceptions. Olsen was last years Vernon Davis. Everyone needs to get A. Gates out of their heads, another one is not coming along.

Brandon Lloyd? Mark Bradley? Marty Booker?

Steppin' up by default. The dearth of young, healthy, and/or proven receivers should give him more targets...he's a good late round pick that you can throw back to the waiver wire if things aren't working out and find someone better. I'd take a chance on him very late in a draft if I continued to find good value elsewhere at RB and WR.

"Wildman" hit it on the nose! Worth a late flier in the draft...and drop him if nothing stands out!

I see CHI lining up 2 WR, 2TE, 1 RB a lot this year:

1 to help block

2 quick hits, chipping away short passes to TE's & RB's

They will try the deep ball, but not like years pass...they will ask Rex to control the game more like Kyle did....and when/if Rex fails, it should be a easy transition for Kyle!

Olsen should see a 2X increase in rec's and 5~6 TD's this year!