Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Mike Mac's "Expert" League Drafts

Call them "expert" leagues if you like. I usually prefer to call them "showcase" leagues. The tougher leagues I play tend to consist of more unsung fantasy players than ones involving contributors from other fantasy football websites. I'm not trying to open up that can of worms, but I was curious if any of you guys and gals are interested in commentary from my league drafts during the preseason. I try to write articles for the site, but it gets tough with limited time from juggling everything else going on. I was wondering about posting commentary here, or in a blog maybe, if people wanted to read it.

I could maybe talk about decisions behind some picks, strategy, using the Compiler and Draft Buddy, and all that fun stuff. My goal is to be entertaining and it might be educational, although I will hold to a no guarantees policy on that last part. Here are some of the leagues I competed in last year which will be mostly the same this year:

• Dirty Dozen - 12 team, 3 player keeper. Performance scoring with some PPR (limited for RB), no IDP.
  • SOFA IDP - 12 team, redraft. Performance scoring with start 7 IDP.
  • RotoBowl - 12 team, redraft. Moderate high stakes competition (www.rotobowl.com). Performance scoring, PPR, no IDP.
  • Insanity & FFA Dynasty - Not "expert" leagues but auction dynasty and contract leagues each with IDP. A 10 and 12 team league.
  • OUFL - 16 team, deep (deep) dynasty. 42 player rosters, 11 starters on offense, and 11 starters IDP.

There is also the Zealots Field 7 and FFX (Fantasy Football Xtreme) Dynasty 2, each dynasty leagues that are completely done drafting for 2008. I think I'm in too many dynasty leagues. I like to draft, but the more dynasty leagues I take on the less drafting there is (of all players) and the less redraft leagues I can manage during the season. The dynasty leagues are nice to keep active all year though. Its a balancing act.

Anyway, the Dirty Dozen is getting underway and I'm up, so I'd better make that pick. Let me know your thoughts. If this thread dies a slow death, then I'll know your answer ;)

[*] RotoBowl - 12 team, redraft. Moderate high stakes competition (www.rotobowl.com). Performance scoring, PPR, no IDP.

Only league of yours that is close to any of mine..

Curious of the results though...

Thread raised from the dead! Thanks for the feedback Ned. That will probably be the latest one I draft. It was last year. I'll have to go check on it. Since I'm not committed to that one, I may drop it for another mid-stakes to high-stakes league, but they are usually very similar format.