Sign in to follow this  
Cuse9

Top Ten Busts Since 1990

Jailbird

LMAO forgot about this story. Ran some kids down that beat him in flag football. Damn, just damn.

While VY may never make this list, I believe he should be biggest media hyped bust of all time. Tennessee's DEF hides his actual performance in regard to his record as a starter. 'Vince Young just wins games' was spoken on ESPN more than the Toyota Commercial 'Saved by Zero' is played during football games. His shoe size was bigger than his Wonderlic score and he's really shouldn't be playing QB in the NFL.

It's funny that you think Vince is actually hyped by the media, because I don't see anyone in the media hyping him at all. In fact I see very little coverage of Vince that is even remotely fair or accurate based on what he's done in the NFL; in many places, he's outright villified. Sure he regressed some in his second year, but he also improved in other areas (most notably, his completion percentage). What media do you see VY being hyped in?

Is he the greatest QB in the NFL? Obviously not. Is he the worst starting QB (when he was the starter)? Again it should be obvious that he's not. If you look historically at QBs that have started from their rookie years onward in the NFL, Vince's numbers compare favorably to most (including Peyton Manning).

Manning:

Year Starts Wins Comp Att Pct Yds TD Int RushYds Rating

1998 16 3 326 575† 56.7 3,739 26 28† 62 71.2

1999 16 13 331 533 62.1 4,135 26 15 73 90.7

Elway

Year Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rushing Yds TD

1983 259 123 47.5 1,663 7 14 146 1

1984 380 214 56.3 2,598 18 15 237 1

Vince Young

Season Starts Wins Comp Att Pct Yds TD Int Rushing Yds TD

2006 13 8 184 357 51.5 2,199 12 13 552 7

2007 15 10 238 382 62.3 2,546 9 17 395 3

By no means am I saying he will have a Manning or Elway type of career. But when you look at the numbers, he hasn't fared all that poorly to be getting the haters that I've heard since day one. Let's also keep in mind the quality of his WRs. Both starting WRs at the beginning of this season were castoffs from other teams (Gage from the Bears, whose WR corps isn't all that stellar themselves, and McCareins from the Jets). I counted 4 dropped passes at least in the first game this year with Vince at QB, and at least 4 again in the last game with Collins at QB against the Packers. In his rookie year, Manning had Harrison in his third season, while Elway had an experienced group of WRs that included Rick Upchurch and Steve Watson.

Give Vince the chance to grow as an NFL QB, and give him some decent WRs, before you totally write him off.

[5. WR Charles Rogers (Michigan State)

....Drafted by: Lions, first round, No. 2 overall, 2003

Another wr who's ego out performed his ability.

**Edited title....from 1990 and only skill positions***

I hate to do this but I am going to defend charles rogers: the guy was a beast in college and came into the pro game and dominated. I still remember his first game, Anquan Bodin's breakout coincidently, and his dominance...

there isn't much you can do about two shoulder injuries...

That is my other problem with this list, injuries shouldn't count (Carter). I would rather focus on the Mike Williams (who ate himself out of the league) and Laurrence Phillips (who beat himself out of the league) as busts...

Other QBs:

David Carr 1-1

Jamarcus Russell 1-1

Joey Harrington 1-3

Mike Vick (for other reasons) 1-1

Jim Drunkenmiller 1-24

Rick Mirer 1-2

David Klingler 1-6

Jeff George 1-1

:pointstosky:

Some of these guys are still in the league - failing. Some are incarcerated or flippin' burgers.

Heath Shuler could care less about the bust lists:

http://shuler.house.gov/