Sign in to follow this  
Smokin'!!

Help me rank these deep-sleeper RBs for next year

I am in a 20 man deep dynasty league with several potential good RBs on the waiver wire. The ones that I like the most are De De Dorsey, Kregg Lumpkin, Marcus Mason, Ryan Moats, Kolby Smith and Danny Ware. Obviously none of these guys are super-studs, but who has a chance to be an RB2 for next year and possibly more in the future. My assessment of these guys follows;

De De Dorsey - He has more "burst" than any of the other RBs currently on the roster. Benson and Perry are not the future in Cincinnatti.

Kregg Lumpkin - Grant is not the same as he was last year and seems to be constantly dinged up. B-Jax still can not pick up blitzes. Opening for Lumpy?

Marcus Mason - Had a great pre-season. But will he get a chance to play for the Jets? He has a lot of talent but they may draft their future RB.

Ryan Moats - Current #2 RB in Houston. Maybe he will continue to impress and get more playing time next year.

Kolby Smith - Is he still the heir-apparent in KC? Will his knee injury allow him to come back and compete? Or has Jamaal Charles taken over as the #2 in KC?

Danny Ware - He will most likely be the RB3 next year for the Giants. He seems to have a lot of talent but will be way down on the depth chart.

Which 2 or 3 RBs do you guys like the best for next year and beyond? Thanks.

I think Lumpkin and Ware are both talented backs who might get a chance when the traffic in front of them clears somewhat in 2009.

Mason is worth keeping tabs on; Leon is a great playmaker but I think he will always be a CoP back, TJ turns 31 during camp next year.

I don't think the Texans view Moats as complimentary to their little scat back, so I expect them to acquire a bigger RB to take over Ahman's share of the load.

Smith had opportunity in the past and didn't make the most of it.

Dorsey is interesting but you wonder if part of the problem is he is slightly undersized, the kind of frame you see on RBs who can't take a pounding (I know, impossible to predict injuries like a hammy).

ETA: revise Dorsey eval

I'm not gonna take the time to 'rank' these guys, becaues most are way to speculative to fortell there future.

Just a few impressions:

I agree that Dorsey has the best chance of RB1 potential in the forseeable future so he would be my pick. A lot to like about him.

Danny Ware, second best in terms of overall talent, probably worst in terms of situation.

I've been most disappointed in Moats. After a college career where he at times looked the the second coming of Tony Dorsett, he bombed in Philly, and I watched Houston on Mon nite and he showed me nothing. I saw no explosion there.

Kolby Smith is NOT the answer in K C or anywhere else IMO. Nor is Lumkin the answer in GB.

I know nothing about Marcus Mason - for whatever reason, he hasn't made my personal radar screen.

FYI - I don't play in dynasty leagues, but I do play in deep keeper leagues. Two of the best sources I've found when it comes to evaluating rookie dynasty potential are this site's own "Wildman' Ken Waldman' rookie scouting report, and Cecil Lammey/Sigmond Bloom "there is no off-season" podcasts over at FootballGuys.com

Not one will make any sort of impact next year or ever.

Ignorance is bliss, but not very profitible in fantasy football. People who make statements like this usually are the ones who drafted McFadden in round 2 in a redraft league yet will never pull the ww trigger on a Hillis until two weeks after he has been picked up and then wonder "Where'd this guy come from?", or better yet, say he's just a WHITE FB, no way he will have any value. I scoff at you!

I agree that Ryan Moats has very little chance at a bright future. He hasn't shown much in Philly or even now in Houston. I don't know that Marcus Mason with the Jets will get an opportunity barring an injury to Thomas Jones or Leon Washington.