Sign in to follow this  
karmarooster

2009 ReDraft: TE Stategy

Hey i wanted to post this idea i had about the TE position next year. I'm looking for some feedback to see if you think this is a good idea or not.

Normally, I always draft a Kicker in round 16 and a Defense in round 15... or whatever is the last and next to last round. I think it's a TERRIBLE idea to draft even a defense that everyone picks as a 'top unit'.... for evidence, see this years picks as the Top Defense in the preseason... usually the Vikings and Chargers. Both of them were disappointments in the last round, let alone the 13th or whenever if you took one early.

So here's my suggestion for next year.... the TE position is deeper than ever before, and there are many many guys who are servicable. What do you think about taking one in the third to last round?? ie... TE, Defense, Kicker in 14th, 15th, and 16th.

Now i know some guys are big on taking a player like Gates or Witten in the 5th or something, and think of it as an advantage. This past year, i tried to target a TE who i thought had potential to be top 3-5, but with more a better value than Witten, Gates, and Winslow. That player was Shockey, and he has been no better than Greg Olsen who went undrafted and i picked up on the Waiver Wire.

Discuss....

It's not a crazy idea. It's really a gamble either way.

Only 3 of the top 10 TE's were undrafted in our league. I picked up one of them, Carlson, late in the year.

I went more towards this strategy this year and took my TE in the 11th round (Daniels). 18 round draft. He was the 11th TE taken and we have 10 teams, so someone had already taken their backup TE. I definitely prefer waiting and trying to get as much value as possible like that while stocking up on RB/WR. Did the same thing with QB and got Warner and Rodgers in the 12th and 13th.

i tried this and it bit me in one league ..... i drafted Boss who started the season real slow, dropped him to pick up fasano who stunk, dropped him for carlson who stunk at the time, dropped him to pick up zach miller he was decent picked up shiancoe who was ok ended up dropping them and got lucky that the person who had picked up carlson had dropped him so i picked him up and then traded mcfadden for Boss 9 wish i would of just held onto boss ) but i will not do that strategy again it was a weekly nightmare to find one.........and started the season 5-4 till i landed carlson i ended season 7-5 lost in the 2nd round of playoffs.......