Sign in to follow this  
Jackson Biggs

Starting Auction League, Need Rules

Finally convinced enough guys to switch to an auction/keeper league. Anyone have a set of rules they use that wouldn't mind sharing? Don't want to start from scratch.

My 1st advice woud be to make it a full blown dynasty. In a dynasty league Every owner has a shot at Every player. Don't have to worry about where you're picking in the draft and who will be left.

As far as rules go. You need to set the rules that best fit your particular group of owners. As co commish in mydyanasty league we put "rule changes" up for discussion. Then up for vote. So you need to talk to your guys about what YOU ALL want.

Some rules you may want to go over

Salary cap limit- How much each owner is allowed to spend. ($135)

Roster limit- We have a minimum and a maximum (18-22)

Rookie contract amounts- I've seen some on here where the #1 pick is $60. An argument can be made that at $60 the worst team in the league is not gaining an advantage in the rookie draft. We only have 2 rounds. All players in the 1st round is signed to a contract of $2/4yrs. While rookies from the 2nd round is either $1/2yrs or $2/4yrs which ever you choose. But I must admit Seeing $2 does seem cheap for some of these players. But at the same time it helps teams turn things around pretty quick.

Player contracts- Do you want to limit an owner to a player for so many years (ours is 4 yrs) Or allow owners to keep players their whole careers.

The auction We use to have our auction start at 8pm one day and end at 8pm 48 hours later. Some owners couldn't log on at those times so they was getting screwed by last second bids. So now we throw 6 players out there (1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF) We wait I believe 12 hours after the last bid if no one bids the highest bidder wins then we throw another guy out there. EXAMPLE: Brees, AD, Fitz,Gates are all out there. Brees, Fitz and Peterson are still being bidded on. No one bidded on Gates in 12 hours so he goes to the highest bidder. Then the next TE goes out there. Don't know how well this format will work on a new league.

I might be wary of the keeper part for the first year or two since this is something new for your league. Especially since it sounds like this was not agreed to by 100% of the owners. You don't want to give the naysayers any ammo to change back next year. The first year of an Auction is probably going to be pretty awkward and unpredictable.

I might be wary of the keeper part for the first year or two since this is something new for your league. Especially since it sounds like this was not agreed to by 100% of the owners. You don't want to give the naysayers any ammo to change back next year. The first year of an Auction is probably going to be pretty awkward and unpredictable.

<_<

One thing at a time. Learn the auction system. Test the dedication of your owners.

Before you start any type of keeper league, make sure every owner is solid. Don't invite your snot-nosed 7 year-old cousin, Joey, to join a keeper league; he will be horrible the first year and soon lose interest.