Sign in to follow this  
JJB

Which Overall Ranking Method should I use?

Hi Mike,

Can you recommend an overall ranking method based on my league setup?

* 10 person league.

* pretty standard scoring system, non-PPR, and passing TDs are worth 6 pts so QBs are a little more valuable than most leagues.

* all 16 players on your team are considered starters, and then the top performers at each position are counted toward your point total, so basically we don't have to spend a bunch of time each week analyzing matchups. for example, the 16 players are (2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE, 2 K, 2 DEF/ST) and once the games are finished the top 9 get counted toward your team's score (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF/ST).

Anyway, based on this setup I'm not sure whether I should use "Compiler Draft Pick Recommended" or maybe "Last Starter Drafted" or one of the others.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jim

Read the Advanced Features section of the Help Guide http://www.fftoday.com/compiler/hg_compiler_adv.htm (scroll to the bottom).

Regarding Overall Rankings /Custom Baselines: "Overall, I like the results the Compiler Recommended gives for most leagues."

I'm wondering what is considered a typical league? Is it number of starters or ratio of scoring between positions that would drive one to change the baseline?

My league 2008:

Start: 1-QB 2-RB 2-WR 1-FLX 1-TE 1-D 1-K

1 1 Drew Brees 533.9

2 2 Aaron Rodgers 479.7

3 2 Jay Cutler 478.1

4 2 Kurt Warner 477.2

5 2 Philip Rivers 477.2

1 1 Matt Forte 413.7

2 1 DeAngelo Williams 409.8

3 2 Michael Turner 388.4

4 2 Adrian Peterson N 387.2

5 2 Steve Slaton 377.9

6 2 Maurice Jones-Drew 373.9

7 2 Thomas Jones 370.8

8 2 LaDainian Tomlinson 369.9

9 3 Brian Westbrook PHI 355.5

10 3 Clinton Portis WAS 354.9

1 1 Andre Johnson 433.5

2 1 Larry Fitzgerald 413.1

3 2 Calvin Johnson 376.0

4 2 Roddy White 367.1

5 2 Steve Smith 357.0

6 2 Brandon Marshall 354.7

7 2 Greg Jennings 354.2

8 3 Antonio Bryant 340.1

9 3 Anquan Boldin 332.5

10 3 Wes Welker 329.5

What is a typical league? Good question.

I don't factor the scoring into the equation very much. I mean, the projected fantasy points are based off the projections and scoring, which impact the value calculations in their own way for each different possible scoring system.

I'm mainly talking about starting lineups. Starting lineups will have a bigger impact on the value calculations than the backups, so what I am looking for in terms of typical is your fairly common ratio of 1 QB, 1-3 RB, 2-5 WR, TE yes or no, K, DEF or IDP. Since the most valuable positions in pretty much any fantasy league are in no particular order QB, RB, WR, those are the positions I'm keying on.

As you can guess, it is when the QB starters go from 1 to a set 2 that kind of throws the thing into an atypical category. This would mainly be because of the scarcity at the position. With (again typical) 10, 12, 14 team leagues, once you're starting 2 QB instead of 1, you can really be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality starting QB ... raising the value of QB quite a bit.

That is where the Compiler Recommended method likely undervalues QB too much and overvalues RB/WR relative to QB. In a start 1 QB league, that is okay. In a start 2, time to re-assess.

I really don't like Last Starter, but I put it in there for people to see and because it is commonly referred to. My problem with it? Not enough depth emphasis. In Last Starter, your starting K, DEF are always going to be more valuable than your first backup RB, WR, which just isn't the case.

If you are going to go away from Compiler Recommended, I suggest Median Player Drafted, at least as a starting point before inputting any custom baseline adjustments. It provides a nice balance of importance between starters and depth, in my opinion.

JJB - Even though you are in what I call a "best-ball" style league where you don't have to pick your starters, I would still recommend (wink) Compiler Recommended because you need to assume you are trying to draft your best 9 starters and want them valued appropriately, and your best 9 lineup fits my parameters to use that method.

mbrennan5 - I think you can tell from above I would also use Compiler Recommended for your league.

Mike, thanks for the advice so far, and for the tools. They rock.

I'm in one of those dreaded 2QB leagues, and I just want to make doubly sure I should use the Median Drafted method because even after doing so, it still seems to value RB pretty high (12 of the first 20).

Starters: 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, 2 Flex (WR or RB), TE, K, DEF (I'm excluding K/DEF from rankings)

Bench: 6 spots, any position

Scoring: Mostly standard, though we do 0.5 PPR, 5 pts for QB TDs, 1 point every 50 passing yards, and 1 point every 20 rush/rec yards

Still think I should use Median? Just want to double-check...as it greatly moves players around in the overall rankings :)

What does your top 24 look like, and where do you think you would be willing to take the 1st QB off your board (and 2nd, and 3rd, etc.)?

What does your top 24 look like, and where do you think you would be willing to take the 1st QB off your board (and 2nd, and 3rd, etc.)?

My top24 in your tool? using Median, it looks like:

Maurice Jones-Drew

Matt Forte

LaDainian Tomlinson

Larry Fitzgerald

Tom Brady

Adrian Peterson (MIN)

Andre Johnson

Randy Moss

Drew Brees

Marion Barber

Peyton Manning

Frank Gore

Steven Jackson

Michael Turner

DeAngelo Williams

Clinton Portis

Brian Westbrook

Calvin Johnson

Steve Slaton

Steve Smith (CAR)

Pierre Thomas

Reggie Wayne

Marques Colston

Brandon Jacobs

That feels about right to me. 2-3 QBs in the first 2 rounds. WR feels low, but I can't tell if that's because of the flex spots + the .5 PPR?

Median feels better than last...but should I use Median or Compiler recommended?

I think Median will be better. Compiler Recommended, for a 2 QB league, will tend to bump down the QB a little too much for you I think. I was kind of expecting more QB in your top 24, but given you start a little more RB/WR plus the 0.5 PPR must be the reason there aren't more. Still, top QBs will drop off fairly quickly, so depending how confident you are in the later drafted QB, you might want to secure one in the first 2 rounds. Of course, as always, be flexible. It will depend who falls to you rather than locking into certain positions with your picks. Follow the tiers on the positional cheatsheet.