Sign in to follow this  
shake_a_leg

NFL Flag Football

So I volunteered to be an ASSISTANT coach for my step-son's flag football team. We had the coaches meeting the other night and the other coach for our team no-showed...turns out he's a first-year guy too, so chances are I'm going to be the head coach.

Coaching a 7-player flag football team of 9 year old boys, we have 4 basic formations to build plays off of. I figure we'll run 1 rushing play and 1 passing play off each formation for 8 total plays, maybe mix in a reverse on the Trips set.

So my question is...is this too much to ask from 9 year olds? I have no idea what to expect. This is a fundamental league, learn to catch the ball correctly, pass, carry...beyond that it's all fun. One of those "we don't keep score" leagues. I keep reading from online flag football leagues where they're designing plays and naming them

"trips left 999 replace"

complete with passing and rushing trees and all the rest. This just seems too advanced to me. Am I wrong?

I can see building a large playbook for me and then trying to install the plays on the fly, street ball style..."Jimmy pass it to Tommy...Tommy, you go deep" but I don't see that as being all that much fun. Either way, games start on September 20, so we basically will have time for 2 or 3 practices before games start. Probalby shouldn't expect much either way.

I like you're take on the simplistic approach. Go Mike Singletary on these kids...just don't show them your junk...cause that could cause problems.

Nine year old boys should be playing tackle football. Is that the right answer?

Unless you are practicing 5 days a week they arent gonna get any of those plays/formations/etc and wont do anything except go long and whichever kid you pick as QB is gonna throw to his closest friend ( i.e the 2nd best athlete on the team).