Sign in to follow this  
Carl Eller's Dead Liver

Percy "Lord Have Mercy" Harvin

So many of you were all over my case for liking Percy Harvin this year and also in a dynasty league.....now that we have a 3 game sample size to look at, lets discuss.

In my PPR league Percy is averaging 15.5 points per game and consistantly doing it without the highs and lows, which is what you want out of a WR. He is explosive and will only get more and more involved in the Viking's offense. Currently Harvin is a top 15 WR in most all leagues and he is only going to get better.

Who ever took my advice earlier can thank me now. :thumbsup:

So far Harvin is 12/128/2

If Harvin is the best rookie WR since Colston or Boldin, then so is... Johnny Knox with 9/159/2 .

Point is...it's too early to say that stuff yet.

If Harvin is the best rookie WR since Colston or Boldin, then so is... Johnny Knox with 9/159/2 .

Percy also has 28 rush yards, a return for a TD, and the extra reception per game over Knox.

In my main leagues Percy is the #10 WR and Knox is #24.

Percy also has 28 rush yards, a return for a TD, and the extra reception per game over Knox.

In my main leagues Percy is the #10 WR and Knox is #24.

In standard scoring Percy has around 34 points, Knox has 28 points. In PPR Percy has 46 points, Knox has 37. Unless my math is wrong. In leagues that give points for return yardage Percy would be even further ahead, but Knox only has one week under his belt returning kicks and his return yards per game is better than Harvin's. The touchdown in the return game skew the numbers a bit and isn't anything a fantasy owner will count on. Without that it's 28 vs 28 standard, 40 vs 37 PPR.

In real football Knox has more yardage and the same amount of TD's in the offense. And he's not even a starting WR yet.

That's pretty close numbers there and nobody is talking about what a stud Knox is yet. If he'd have been drafted in the first couple rounds of the NFL draft I bet we would though.

My point is not to preach that Knox should be considered a stud, but rather the other way around for Harvin. It's too early for these 'I told you so' posts. Plain and simple.

Either way it's been in the sig since May 1st. Bank on it.

Yeah, I'm thinking Mark Sanchez and Knowshon Moreno will have something to say about that before the end of the year.

If the season ended today, I'll take Sanchez.

" since Colston and Boldin ? " I think you're forgetting DeSean Jackson last year. Percy is closer right now to DeSean than to a true # 1 WR ( gamebreaker, potential to return one for a TD, or catch a long bomb for a score ).

In standard scoring Percy has around 34 points, Knox has 28 points. In PPR Percy has 46 points, Knox has 37. Unless my math is wrong. In leagues that give points for return yardage Percy would be even further ahead, but Knox only has one week under his belt returning kicks and his return yards per game is better than Harvin's. The touchdown in the return game skew the numbers a bit and isn't anything a fantasy owner will count on. Without that it's 28 vs 28 standard, 40 vs 37 PPR.

In real football Knox has more yardage and the same amount of TD's in the offense. And he's not even a starting WR yet.

That's pretty close numbers there and nobody is talking about what a stud Knox is yet. If he'd have been drafted in the first couple rounds of the NFL draft I bet we would though.

My point is not to preach that Knox should be considered a stud, but rather the other way around for Harvin. It's too early for these 'I told you so' posts. Plain and simple.

Hey if we are going to count up the points then let's count up the points.

Even in standard leagues, rushing yards and player TDs are counted.

Like the OP said, this is a sample. I think we all know that.

IMO Knox is going to be a good player, Percy will be a great player.

Hey if we are going to count up the points then let's count up the points.

Even in standard leagues, rushing yards and player TDs are counted.

Like the OP said, this is a sample. I think we all know that.

IMO Knox is going to be a good player, Percy will be a great player.

I did count the rushing yards and return TDs.

I then said that if you are evaluating players for fantasy value, that you wouldn't factor in return TDs. At least not much. For example:

Player A: 40 fantasy points including a return TD

Player B: 40 fantasy points in offensive production alone

Player B would be more enticing to me because, while getting return TD's is awesome when you get them, you aren't going to factor them in much. I'd much rather have the guy that is producing more in the offense.

That's all I was saying.

Knox had one good game and two miserable games. Percy has been consistant every week....scoring 14, 15, and 14 points repectively in the first three weeks of the season in PPR leagues. Not too shabby for a rookie. Definately starting WR material.

All I know is I bought the Jersey before the season started and it's been a great little charm so far (except the part where the roffers dripped tar onto my balcony and I got some on it, hey maybe that was part of the good luck).

Knox had one good game and two miserable games. Percy has been consistant every week....scoring 14, 15, and 14 points repectively in the first three weeks of the season in PPR leagues. Not too shabby for a rookie. Definately starting WR material.

Game 1: 3/36

Game 2: 5/41

Game 3: 4/41

A whopping 9.8 ypc. A world beating 39.3 ypg. 2 TDs

If you saw these numbers would you say that's a definite starting fantasy WR?

Knox has 17.7 ypc. And 52 ypg. 2 TDs

Plain and simple, Harvin is worth starting right now because of TDs (2) and the fact that he returns kicks in leagues that give points for return yardage. Same as Knox. Neither are very good plays if you don't get return yardage.

Again, my point isn't that Knox is a stud. It's that neither of these guys are "the best since Colston and Boldin". Not yet anyway.

And also, in my PPR league that awards points for return yardage, Knox has 10, 22 and 17 points in three games. He only returned kicks for one game but supposedly will for the rest of the season. That's also not too shabby for a rookie. I'll definitely be starting until he stops producing. I would also definitely start Harvin. So I agree with you that Harvin is off to a good start.