Sign in to follow this  
jeffbayliss

Suggestions for next years Compiler

Hi Mike -

A few possible improvements to consider for Compiler for next year (or this year?)

1. An easy one for the spreadsheet (and no work for the Projector!) which I think would be very helpful for all is to add a column for each player with their age, which will also come over to the cheat sheets (I know you are getting tight on this printout, but some resetting of column width, adding a page, or moving the kicker to page 2 should free up some room). When trying to decide between similarly ranked players in the mid-to-late stages of draft, I want to know how old the guys are)

2. Some threads talked about printing problems. In a spreadsheet I developed for scoring my league each week, I included several buttons with print-macros, so the users could choose to print out an individual sheet only, or all sheets at once. The macros can be set to "fit all to page", avoiding the common problem of having the last column print on the next page. This would be useful for leagues with no IDP who don't need the IDP printout. Or maybe the overall rankings sheet is not so useful for an auction league (can save some trees)

3. Our league has a Team Offense position that scores points based on points scored (similar to Defense Points Against, only the scale is reversed. i.e. if they score 0-3 in the game, we get 0, 4-7, we score 1....up to over 40 we score 10). Maybe other leagues have this category, and would be useful to have in Compiler with points scored projections. Maybe this one's a B) for most.

4. Our league penalizes for FG's missed only less than 40 yards (a loser missing a 22 yarder should score negative, but a guy missing a 54 yarder shouldn't be to blame), so maybe giving the abililty to have different scoring for length of FG's missed would be good. But of course to make it useful, you'd have to add projections for Missed FG length. (Another spreadsheet offered has this breakout, but then just assigns a missed length percentage across the board, they do not do length projections, so it is worthless. i.e. Elam might have 6 misses in a year, but 4 are from over 50 yards. Whereas Morten Anderson isn't given the chance anymore to miss from over 42 yards.)

Hey, you said it is getting harder to find exciting new improvements each year! Just trying to help!! :lol: ;)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I am copying this into an email right now and sending it to myself, so I can tuck it into my CC-DB Ideas folder.

Another idea that I like is to have "starters" (defined as 1st team QB's, 1st team RB's, top 2 WR's, etc) show up in bold on the cheatsheet. Sometimes, in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft, I spend a lot of time flipping back to the depth charts, trying to find ANY player still available that actually starts for their team. This would make it quicker. I'm playing with the conditional formatting feature right now to try to do this myself by comparing player name with that on the "Depth" tab.

Hey Mike, here are a couple of other ideas:

1. I already posted once about this but, creating some sort of auto mock draft capability into DB would be a hell of an upgrade. I know you said that it would take some level of AI but, hey, I have faith in you.

2. 14 Team ADP information!!!!!! You have 10 and 12 but not 14. It shouldn't be that hard to include that info since you could probably just get if from Antsports like you do with the 10 and 12.

Thanks.

LOL at "I have faith". Actually 14 team is there, starting with v. 2.0. Check the ADP tab and scroll to the right. 14 team ADP should pop onto the cheatsheet if you have, I think, 14 or more teams selected and after you hit Compile Cheatsheets.

Richard, what are you doing in an 8 team league? You'd better have twice the normal starting lineup requirements or I'm going to be a tad disappointed :banana:

I'll add my 2 cents...

1) For yardage, I would love if it could be compiled so that 0-99 yards is 0 but 100+ gives a certain amount per 10 yards.

2) I love the mock draft idea, where possibly you could put an owner type for each team (Stud RB, conservative, risky, stupid) using the current ADP.

3) I also liked the symbol idea for injury risk, sleeper, downhill, target, etc.

Couple of more suggestions here:

1: ADP in overall cheetsheet based on your draft position. Some tools i have seen incorporate the ADP info in the overall cheetsheet to show you who will or will not porably be available the next time that you draft (not really that important for auction) but great for normal draft. One quick look at one sheet that highlights players that will be taken before my next pick. That way if i targeted a player i like i can possibly change who i was thinking of drafting

2: Ability to highlight players. I am going through right now and changing the color in the overall sheet of players that i am targeting as sleepers, or guys i would like to have. Having this built in would be nice as it would be easier for you to build it than for me to have to go back in and edit it (yes i am a bit lazy)

3: I love the Idea posted above about highlighting starters - I find myself towards the end of the draft looking for who is a 1 or 2 wide out compared to a 3,4,5 wideout on a team. Instead of flipping back and forth having the info on the overall sheet would be nice

4: I cant find it so not sure it is there. But in auction it would be nice to update maximum bid prices based on the money i have left. Especially in a league like mine where you have to have a full roster and have to spend at least 1 dollar on each player. I thought it was there but testing (placed a bid of 130 on my first player) and than selected a second player and my maximum bid didnt change to reflect the fact that i only had 20 dollars left to spend and 19 more player to get. My max bid at that point should be only 2 dollars. Even if this info was available in the By Team Sheet would be great as it helps in being able to look at the other teams and see how many players they have and what positions they need to fill and how much money they acctually have left. Math gets fuzzy later in the draft (especially if beer is present).

Thats all i can think of right now. Great Product keep up the good work.

Minor formatting suggestion. While doing my research, I've printed several different versions of the Cheatsheet. I then compare to see what happens when I look at different allocations and profiles, however, I've gotten confused as to which printout went with which allocation. To solve this, I added some logic to put this at the top of each page of the Cheatsheet to help me remember. :cry:

==> Cheatsheet formatting suggestion.

Assuming anyone is interested, the formulas are:

Cell cheatsheet!J3 = Allocation ==> "=INDEX(inputs!$B59:$B71,inputs!$C88)"

Cell cheatsheet!J4 = League Profile ==> "=inputs!$C18"

Just an idea...... :thumbsdown:

Another idea that I like is to have "starters" (defined as 1st team QB's, 1st team RB's, top 2 WR's, etc) show up in bold on the cheatsheet.  Sometimes, in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft, I spend a lot of time flipping back to the depth charts, trying to find ANY player still available that actually starts for their team.  This would make it quicker.  I'm playing with the conditional formatting feature right now to try to do this myself by comparing player name with that on the "Depth" tab.

I Like this one :clap:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but how about adding the tiering lines to the overall sheet in the draft buddy. Since my league has RB/WR/TE all flexed, it would be nice to see the tiering on the overall sheet.

Ryan

1. On the setup page of compiler page you have backups per position, in my league there are no requirements of how many backups you have as long as you have less then 21 players total. So i'm not sure what to do in my case if I should just make these numbers really large? Along those lines on the draft buddy spread sheet under by team could you increase the # of Rb's and WR's that can be listed for each team, by 3 or 4 each would be great.

2. I'd like to have some space where i can add notes that I read while preparing for drafts about certain players so that I could read that during the draft (preferrable have those players with notes change color or something)

3. If I have a good feeling or I find out some type of information about a certain player I'd like to have just one column where I could either bump up their projected fantasy score or bump it down.

Jumping in on the various suggestions, most of what I have to say goes towards personal preferences-

1. Like the idea of being able to highlight personal sleepers

2. I would like to see a strikethrough knocking off the players taken in Draft Buddy spreadsheets instead of having those players simply "disappear" from the rankings pages.

3. Any possibility of linking players to a write up on either your site or a related site, for those of us without internet connections at our drafts we could link them to be viewed off line before we head out.

This is my first year using the program, and I'm looking forward to it.

Dinghis

My fourth year with the program, love it

Great program, since kids have arrived, time is scarce and I can't do draft prep as much as I'd like - this is a lifesaver.

There are a lot of great suggestions that I agree with -

icon for changed players up arrow for a player who moved up since last update, down, injured (that could be a problem for the season - more than a game or two), etc.

Great idea of depth number on the cheatsheet RB1, RB2.

I too would like the crossout instead of the name disappearing.

Would like on the cheatsheet - at the top or bottom the date of the projections - so at the top or bottom I would know my download worked and I have the most current projections.

This idea probably isn't feasible and keep the cheet sheet to one page, but a comment on players that moved down or up - probably you could do a second page, so we could see the icon and read/print a different tab to see why the movement to help judge the player.

-- keep up the solid work Mike.

tazman

Minor formatting suggestion. While doing my research, I've printed several different versions of the Cheatsheet. I then compare to see what happens when I look at different allocations and profiles, however, I've gotten confused as to which printout went with which allocation. To solve this, I added some logic to put this at the top of each page of the Cheatsheet to help me remember.

Just an idea...... 

Helpful for those of us in multilple leagues!

Solid Ryan Solid... :lol:

Mike,

Great job on the product this year! Many of the ideas for improvements listed here have merit. I also think it will be unrealistic for you to make all these updates accross the board. (it would probably drive you nuts) Maybe once the suggestions begin to dwindle, a poll is in order to identify "hot topics". That would give you somthing to shoot for. Just an idea...

Thanks again for a great product - I will ON TOP of my drafts this weekend FOR SURE! :lol:

Not sure if this is already in the projections, but how about the idea of factoring in a players' "Strength of Schedule" when ranking them?

Just an idea...... :D

Thanks, Ryan. This helped with my multiple leagues :thumbsup:

Big YES to the strikeout idea instead of players disappering completely. This would also save you having the double sheet on the page.

Mike,

Yes, it's an 8 team Division, with 4 divisions, so 32 teams total. Each division has it's own drfat though so there are plenty of starters to go around. We use full Offense and Defense though.