Sign in to follow this  
Deeg67

Am I Nuts?

I've had the luxury of choosing between Roethlisberger and Rivers at QB this season, and while Rivers has been better overall it's been a no-lose situation most weeks. Now it's championship week, and for whatever reason it's one of those rare times when one guy - Rivers - seems like an obvious choice. He's playing a weak Titans secondary while Ben has to deal with a hungry Baltimore team. But for whatever reason my instinct is telling me to start Ben. I have a gut feeling SD isn't going to be "on" this week, with the #2 seed close to locked up and coming off the emotional Cincy game - and Tennessee has been playing decent D of late. Meanwhile Pittsburgh is in a must-win and Ben is coming off his best game in two years. My instinct is absolutely telling me this, but my logic - and every ranking board - is screaming Rivers. Am I over-thinking this?

While I'm at it, I also need 2 from Jones-Drew, R. Rice and S-Jax at RB. Pretty well set on MJD and Rice, but open to opinions. I'll be happy to reply to yours if you reply to mine, thanks.

I've had the luxury of choosing between Roethlisberger and Rivers at QB this season, and while Rivers has been better overall it's been a no-lose situation most weeks. Now it's championship week, and for whatever reason it's one of those rare times when one guy - Rivers - seems like an obvious choice. He's playing a weak Titans secondary while Ben has to deal with a hungry Baltimore team. But for whatever reason my instinct is telling me to start Ben. I have a gut feeling SD isn't going to be "on" this week, with the #2 seed close to locked up and coming off the emotional Cincy game - and Tennessee has been playing decent D of late. Meanwhile Pittsburgh is in a must-win and Ben is coming off his best game in two years. My instinct is absolutely telling me this, but my logic - and every ranking board - is screaming Rivers. Am I over-thinking this?

While I'm at it, I also need 2 from Jones-Drew, R. Rice and S-Jax at RB. Pretty well set on MJD and Rice, but open to opinions. I'll be happy to reply to yours if you reply to mine, thanks.

I have the same dilema... And as good as Rivers' season totals are, the fact is that... from week to week... he has not been as consistent as Ben. Look at the numbers, and every week is good-bad-good-bad... And Ben on the other hand has been much more consistent, with only really two bad games... and one of them should have been expected due to Cleveland weather.

Then you look at the matchups, and it would appear Rivers has the edge... but the truth is the Titans have turned their ship around, and their defense is much improved as of late. Now their playing at home with their playoff hopes on the line... While BR is going against Baltimore, an apparent bad matchup. But looking at the numbers, they've played against Culpepper, Dixon and Cutler three of the last four weeks. Not much to speak of there. Rodgers spanked them for 3 TDs, and Manning, although only 1 TD, added 299 yds. And on the road they have been less than optimal.

I will admit I will have to think this over some more, but I am leaning towards Roethslisberger..

Wow, what a nice problem to have. I am leaning toward Rivers, seeing as Tennessee is horrid vs. the pass. And Rivers has been chucking the ball a lot all season. In my league Ten is #9 vs. the run and #30 vs the pass. I think Mr. Rivers will be chucking it some more this week. Having said that, I think the Pit-Bal game is gonna be a shootout. As long as Ben''s arm has not fallen off from last week, he should be hurling it too. I don't think you go wrong with either, but I'd lean on Rivers.

As for your RB's I have to say I am a little biased because I own MJD and Rice too. SJax is always a great play and I love the fact he is playing out the season, but he is sore (back). Both MJD and Rice are battling for a playoff spot and I believe they will be in a better situation than SJax will be.

Have a look at mine: http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=360033

Go with what got you here. Rivers cant disapoint. Big ben can. Rice and MJD are ur other two.

thx 4 mine

I'm still not sold... Rivers has had 6 dissapointing games (<20pts by our scoring) out of 14, while Ben has had only 3. I will say though that when Rivers has his good games, they're much better than Bens'... So the question comes down to, do you take ~60% that Rivers will explode, knowing that if he does he will outscore BR... or do you take the ~80% chance that BR will deliver, yet knowing that if both do well, you'd likely get more points from Rivers.

Sorry for the diatribe and hijacking your thread though... just trying to convince myself to start BR.

I'm still not sold... Rivers has had 6 dissapointing games (<20pts by our scoring) out of 14, while Ben has had only 3. I will say though that when Rivers has his good games, they're much better than Bens'... So the question comes down to, do you take ~60% that Rivers will explode, knowing that if he does he will outscore BR... or do you take the ~80% chance that BR will deliver, yet knowing that if both do well, you'd likely get more points from Rivers.

Sorry for the diatribe and hijacking your thread though... just trying to convince myself to start BR.

Tell me about it - except I would say I'm more trying to convince myself to start PR. He really is the logical choice - I can't escape the fact that starting Ben against Baltimore's D - especially with Reed likely back - is a pure hunch bet. Bench a top 5 QB on a hunch bet? Wow - talk about second-guessing if that blows up.