Sign in to follow this  
TwentyFourSeven

Official "Are The Colts Resting Players?" Thread

You can read into these quotes as much as you want but as people find things I thought maybe they should post them. I only have Wayne on my team, but the guy in the championship I am playing has Manning and Clark so I am interested.

This is from Fanball.com

12/24/2009 02:04 PM

THE NEWS

The AP reports that Peyton Manning and the starters will not lobby to play the entire game against the Jets on Sunday.

OUR VIEW

This seems to indicate that Manning and several Colts will be pulled at some time during the game. It's almost certain that they'll be pulled if the game gets out of hand, but we expect them to play a few series at the least.

I'm a diehard Colts follower, and I actually believe no news is good news.

In the past, the coach/players have come out and said, we are going to rest...play a few possessions, maybe the first half, then sit. They haven't done so this year.

All the comments seem to be, healthy starters will play, injured/banged up players will sit mostly (like Freeney & Mathis against JAX). I saw a brief interview with Manning today, and when asked if he'd expect to play the end of a close game, he said, "absolutely, i'd expect to be still be playing in a close game". In addition, other key players, such as Wayne and Brackett have publicly expressed their desire to go 16-0 this year.

I think this is Caldwell's way of saying, "we want to win the games, but we don't want out team to focus on anything else besides winning a championship." It allows him the flexibility to play/pull players as a game progresses, while also keeps the players focus on this game, and the championship, not "the rest of the regular season", or "going 19-0".

It allows him the flexibility to play/pull players as a game progresses, while also keeps the players focus on this game, and the championship, not "the rest of the regular season", or "going 19-0".

not what you want from a ff perspective on championship week imo.

FWIW: Freeney said on the radio that certain colts players are on a "pitch count." Can't quote the source obviously, it was the radio. But there's something else to create some more doubt!

Happy Holidays everyone and GL

not what you want from a ff perspective on championship week imo.

I think it means, if the Colts are up 27-6 late in the 3rd quarter, that Manning and some of the starters would probably sit.

A perfect example is last week against the Jaguars. He sat Freeney and Mathis most of the game, except for obvious passing situations.

To give you an idea of how badly they "secretly" wanted to win - they had both DE's on a 10-15 play count, yet JAX last 2 possessions, they played every down, which meant they both exceeded even the higher estimates of their play time, just to ensure victory. I think that's more of what Freeney was saying in Nate's quote above.