Sign in to follow this  
Thre3Deep

Word out of Cleveland?

Just curious as to if anyone has heard anything/rumors? They seem to be keeping it really under wraps. Personally I think it is hinging on the GM from Philly accepting the job. So if he accepts mangini is out and if he declines he stays? And is the agent of J.Cribbs really expecting a huge pay day? I read somewhere else a good point on not paying a kick returner big money: Example would be D.Hester, had a huge year, but teams kicked away from him the following year and negated his returns. Sure Cribbs brings a lot of intangibles to the table, even greater than Hester, but in reallity what is a fair amount to pay the man? They are saying they would bump his salary to 1.4 million a year, up from 900k. for the final 3 years. Maybe a little under the average, but again, what is a realistic value if teams decide not to kick to you next year.

Just curious as to if anyone has heard anything/rumors? They seem to be keeping it really under wraps. Personally I think it is hinging on the GM from Philly accepting the job. So if he accepts mangini is out and if he declines he stays? And is the agent of J.Cribbs really expecting a huge pay day? I read somewhere else a good point on not paying a kick returner big money: Example would be D.Hester, had a huge year, but teams kicked away from him the following year and negated his returns. Sure Cribbs brings a lot of intangibles to the table, even greater than Hester, but in reallity what is a fair amount to pay the man? They are saying they would bump his salary to 1.4 million a year, up from 900k. for the final 3 years. Maybe a little under the average, but again, what is a realistic value if teams decide not to kick to you next year.

Cribbs told one of the local tv stations that he is done playing for the Browns until he gets a raise. While I beleive he deserves a raise, how much is the real question. All the players he like to compare himself to either are starting wide receivers too or have bad contracts, like Ted Ginn and Andre Davis. If he was a better receiver or more than a gimmic guy on offense, then I would say he is worth Hester money, but he is not and proved it again this season. While he can make thing occasionally happen on offense, he just not consistent enough to be worth big money. Give him a raise but keep it within reason, so a season or two from now he won't be seriouly overpaid.

Hester's last extension was four years $40 million with $15 million guaranteed. I don't know if Cribbs should expect that much, but somewhere between there are the $1.4 million a year they just offered definitely. Maybe $5 million a year with half of it guaranteed :thumbsdown:. Cleveland needs to pay him though. He's by far their best player. They should make him their wildcat QB and use it more next year. Involve him more in the offense as either a RB or WR. Anything to get the ball in his hands more and make him earn the money.

He's by far their best player.

But how much is a kick returner worth? 5 million/year? Really? So when they stop kicking to him, then what is he worth? He is thier best player, but he is a special teams player.

They should make him their wildcat QB and use it more next year. Involve him more in the offense as either a RB or WR. Anything to get the ball in his hands more and make him earn the money.

They been trying to make him more than a kick returner. They gave him a chance to be a starting wide receiver this year and he just couldn't cut it. Running wrong routes, running routes to short to get first downs, dropping balls.

I think Cleveland's best option would be to be to give him a nice big bonus for what he has done, but a huge pay raise for a kicker returner and a gimmic/slash type player, so in a year or two he way over paid?

I am just sick of players long term contracts and bitching about it the day after. No one made you sign the contract. You wanted security. Now you have it.

I am just sick of players long term contracts and bitching about it the day after. No one made you sign the contract. You wanted security. Now you have it.

In the NFL, I don't blame players as much for this. If the contracts were guaranteed I'd agree, but when a team can just cut you and pay nothing I think the players deserve to be able to demand an increase when they are being paid less than what their performance is worth. The part that I don't like is half of this issue is because Cribbs has a new agent since he signed his contract. The new agent is pushing this because he wants his piece of the pie.

In the NFL, I don't blame players as much for this. If the contracts were guaranteed I'd agree, but when a team can just cut you and pay nothing I think the players deserve to be able to demand an increase when they are being paid less than what their performance is worth. The part that I don't like is half of this issue is because Cribbs has a new agent since he signed his contract. The new agent is pushing this because he wants his piece of the pie.

I would tend to agree so long as they accept a salary cut when they don't perform..... :cheers:

He still has 3 years left on his contract. What's my point? Other than don't sign 5 or 6 year contracts, I don't know. And should this really be Holmgren's top priority in Cleveland. Cribbs and his agent need to be patient. I think finding a GM and a coach is a little more important at this point in time.

Yes he deserves more, but it is the how much more that I have an issue with.

mangini and everyone staying for sure for next yr. leading canidate for gm is guy from philly. im guessing that this is because holmgren wants gruden and cant have him til next yr. so since he has soft spot for coaches anyway. he gives mangini one more yr to make it work. if they are winning then he keeps him around no harm no foul. if he sucks again next yr or is having philosophical differences with the guy, then hell bounce him and try to bring in gruden.

i dont like comparing cribbs to hester because they took hester off of kickoffs. and he only returned the ball. now hester is a wr and an avg one at best for right now. cribbs is more dominant on kickoffs and is best gunner on team as well. if they used him in more of a rb role giving him 7 touches or so a game in wildcat slash handoffs. then he is worth some decent money.

gotta remember even if they arent kicking to him that usually means your avg starting position is gonna be the 35 or 40. as opposed to say the 20? even if he doesnt get any returns to the house down the road that is worth alot. especially for a offense who in most cases can only go about 30 yards before they sputter out. at least with the better field position they can get a field goal out of those drives.

whats the worth??? i do agree its not like its invaluable and should give him whatever he wants but 1.4 mil a yr is a joke of a offer. id say something in the 3 mil area is appropriate.