Sign in to follow this  
cheesesteaks

Why go for WR/WR in 1st 2 rounds?

I've noticed that several who pick in the 10-14 (14 team leagues) are going for the WR/WR strategy. What is your reasoning for it? Won't it leave you weak with RBs? Does it force you to go for a QB in rounds 5 or 6 and not get a top QB? Is there such a large gap between Miles, Marshall, White, etc...with the WRs available later (Crabtree, Steve Smith 1 and 2, Ocho-Cinco, etc.) Or is it just because you play in PPR leagues?

I just replied to another similar thread ... but basically it boils down to the kinds of RB's that are seen at the end of the 1st of a 12 team league (Mendenhall, Charles, DeAngelo, Grant, Matthews, etc) perhaps don't feel like they have as much upside over RB's at the end of the 3rd (Moreno, Addai, Stewart, maybe Benson, maybe Wells, etc). This is, of course, highly arguable. For me, drafting in the rear, I'd prefer to have a couple bonafide top tier WR's and then take whichever RB's fall at the end of round 3. Again ... for me ... that tier of RB's after Steven Jackson stretches reaaaaaaaalllly long and I think there's a very good chance a couple RB's that you like will fall that far this year.

I just replied to another similar thread ... but basically it boils down to the kinds of RB's that are seen at the end of the 1st of a 12 team league (Mendenhall, Charles, DeAngelo, Grant, Matthews, etc) perhaps don't feel like they have as much upside over RB's at the end of the 3rd (Moreno, Addai, Stewart, maybe Benson, maybe Wells, etc). This is, of course, highly arguable. For me, drafting in the rear, I'd prefer to have a couple bonafide top tier WR's and then take whichever RB's fall at the end of round 3. Again ... for me ... that tier of RB's after Steven Jackson stretches reaaaaaaaalllly long and I think there's a very good chance a couple RB's that you like will fall that far this year.

How about settling for RB/WR or WR/RB and then doing the same for rounds 3 and 4?

On a second note which QBs are you aiming for in later rounds?

I think you hit the nail on the head. The key word is risk. I want as little risk as possible with my first 4 picks.....after that I am willing to gamble. Players like Charles and Mendenhall at their ADP's could turn out to be great, but you are also taking a huge risk with an early pick. Players like Moss, Wayne, and White are much more of a known factor. You usually can't win your league with those first few picks, but you sure can lose it if you pick a bust

How about settling for RB/WR or WR/RB and then doing the same for rounds 3 and 4?

On a second note which QBs are you aiming for in later rounds?

Totally. Going RB/WR gives you a lot more flexibility depending on how your draft goes. I've gone WR/WR and realized there's great WR's falling to the third. One guy in our league (PPR) consistently drafts WR/WR (last year he went WR/WR/QB/WR/TE) and makes the playoffs every year.

I think arguments for Grant/Mendenhall/Benson are easy to make because they are featured backs with no apparent competition that have some measurable value. But I struggle using such a high pick on someone like Matthews for obvious reasons ... but also guys like DeAngelo, Charles, Pierre, Wells are suspect because they have another RB who could really erode their potential. It's hard for me to justify spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy with those kinds of question marks when I can take a couple WR's who I feel like gives me a much better guarantee. Sure, guys like Addai and Forte and Moreno have huge question marks too but I feel like it's the same kind of risk/reward as the RB's in the second round ... and I don't have to gamble such a high pick. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but I think it's important not to gamble with your 1st and 2nd round picks.

As for QB's ... I've owned Rodgers the last two years so I've been spoiled at that position (drafted him in the 13th in 2008 and kept him in the 11th last year). I typically never draft a QB high but I can see an argument for taking one of the top three in the second round this year. Personally, I think the drop off is not as steep at QB and there are very good options to be had in the 8th+ rounds every year. Yes, you probably are not going to get the #1 QB by using that strategy but it's a trade off that I think is well worth it. Last year I kept Rodgers but drafted Schaub in the 8th as his backup. This year I like Eli Manning a lot. And ... dare I say it ... I actually think Matt Lienart will FAR outpace his ADP. I think he's a great backup QB with huge upside.

If the value's there, take it. That's all it really comes down to. If you don't like an RB that's available and you love a receiver, no harm in taking what you can get. I prefer to have an RB and a WR coming out of the first two rounds for the flexibility it gives you as the draft progresses, but won't lock into that. Someone who managed to get two of AJ, Moss, and Wayne at the turn last year would probably have been feeling pretty good come the end of their season.

I am playing in two leagues and have the 10th in a 10 teamer and 12th in a 12 teamer. I have done many mocks at fuzzysfantasyfootball.com which is the league I do. So if I am fortunate, with how the mocks have gone that I did. Here is a team that I got in the 10 teamer.

QB-Schaub rd 4

RB-Charles rd 3

RB-Best rd 5

RB-R.Brown

WR-Moss rd 1

WR-Miles rd 2

WR-S.Moss or Owens

TE-V. Davis rd 6

I probably will not draft my TE until round 7/8 turn maybe Winslow, because I am assuming Charles will not be there in the 3rd/4th turn like he was in this mock. Understandably 1 guy was not there, but I could have drafted wells or if mccoy falls. PPR league so when I draft WR WR first two rds I look for reception type running backs that may have fallen. Vernon Davis probably wont be there either but I could take another decent RB and take a guy like Winslow or Z. Miller in the next turn. 12 teamer wasnt much different to tell you the truth. You can go to fuzzys and join a mock draft and pick your position too. I am not advertising for them, just trying to help peeps out. Good luck everyone.