Sign in to follow this  
rbhorn

Scoring, Custom input and Rank

Ok, trying to figure out how the custom fields play into the calculations. Are they only going to affect that position's internal rankings, or all of the rankings?

What I want to do is give some extra weight to various players based on our leagues graduated yardage scoring.

For example, on QBs, we award 1 pt/25 yds from 1-300 yards, then 1.25 pts/25 yds from 301-400, 1.5 pts/25 yds from 401-500 & 1.75 pts/25 from 501+. [i'm leaving out bonuses for 20+ yd completions and 40+ yd completions, because getting historical stats seems like too much a hassle]. I've put 5 pts in the 300+ games field to capture that yardage, without breaking it up, but wanted to give a little extra credit for those 400+. So I did my own analysis of those games and came up with a mildly scientific way to do input units on the QB sheet. For example, Brees has 4 400+ games over the past 3 seasons so I put a unit value of 1.33 in Custom A and in the scoring set up (he and Big Ben are the only with values over 1), and I set that as 10 pts per unit. First question, how does the ranking (0, 1, 2 or 3) choice work? [12-team league starting 2 QBs, so this position is complicated anyway]

Second question, I want to do similar things for RB and WR, but the data might not be of comparable quality, so I'm concerned how it would affect the rankings calculated by CC/DB.

Last question, if I update projections from CC/DB is it going to erase my custom columns or does it only replace the Compiler and FF Today projections?

You can use the custom fields on one of two ways via options on the scoring tab -

(1) they can add to the projected fantasy points, where the numbers in the custom fields are projections of some sort and you input the scoring parameters (X FF Pts Per Y [Custom] Stats)

OR

(2) you can strictly just rank the players at the positions by the values in the custom fields, ignoring the projected fantasy points otherwise calculated from the projections.

It sounds like you want (1), so leave the rank options as you found it (i.e. do not rank by the custom fields). Just fill in the FF Pts and Per spots for the custom fields.

I've looked at 400+ and 200+ yard games for QB, RB and WR for some other people, and I don't think it will have a significant impact on your rankings. There just aren't enough games where players pass those milestones. Do you have stats for RB/WR?

If you update projections nothing should happen to the data in your custom fields.

Cheers.

Thanks Mike. Using the first option, I just need to set/leave the rank option on 0. Great.

I've got RB and WR stats for 2009, but haven't looked for earlier years. I did figure out after doing some calculating that it won't make that much of a difference, but picking 11th out of 12, it may help me with a couple of choices.

Thanks again.