Sign in to follow this  
Cheese Steak

NFL Road Trip

Me and some of my friends are travelling down to San Francisco and my wife is worried we're gonna get our a$$es kicked wearing an Eagles jersey. Anyone been to a game at Candlestick? Is the tailgating good? Fun places to check out before the game? Most of all, please put my wife's fears at ease that it will be a safe environment to watch a game. Any help would be appreciated.

You'll be fine. The Stadium itself is the most dangerous thing at Candlestick.

Found a review with a quick google search:

Forty-Niner fans are great tailgaters and the parking lot outside Candlestick Park provides an excellent space for the pregame ritual. The parking lot opens between four and five hours before gametime and by the time we arrived at 8:30 in the morning, it was already abuzz with activity. If you can get to the stadium before 10:00am, the parking lot attendants will let you park wherever you want. However, arriving after ten ensures that the attendants will be placing you in parking spots to help speed up the process of getting everyone into the lot. Parking costs $25.00.

Niner fans cook up all manners of raw meats and seafood as tailgating veterans and even gourmet chefs can be spotted making preparations for the pregame activities. I found the fans to be very approachable as I poked around trying to sneak a peek at what they had cooking. Many offered me a taste and a beer, which were both much appreciated. Bud Light even sponsors their Bud Light Goldmine located inside F plaza and open to all ticket holders. The Bud Light Goldmine opens three hours before kickoff and features a sportsbar type of atmosphere with a live DJ and NFL games on wide screen TV's - definitely worth checking out on your way into the game.

http://www.ticketcity.com/nfl-tickets/nfc/san-francisco-49ers-tickets/candlestick-park-experience.html

As for stuff to check out while in town? Dunno. I'm sure there's plenty.

Don't worry about it at all. Candlestick is a great park with great fans. As long as you're not being a ######, you'll be fine.

The 'stick is great for tailgating. I would recommend trying to get a prepaid parking pass (craigslist is good for this) or you are at serious risk of not getting in the main lot. I recommend getting there a good 3hrs early.