Sign in to follow this  
Cara

Best buy low players

I have been targeting some of these guys now and will share my thoughts;

Mike Wallace (Pit) - With Big Ben back, he will be a legitimate high upside WR2 the rest of the way. He has great hands and speed. If you trade for him now, while he is on a bye and after having only one great game in the first four, you can get him for a lot less than he cost on draft day. I've traded for him in two leagues since Sunday and will be targeting him in many more.

Marshawn Lynch - Picked him up on the waiver wire when the rumors began a couple weeks ago in most of my leagues. In the leagues I've had to trade for him, he hasn't cost much. Many owners believe he will be splitting carries with Forsett. He will be, but only for a while. Pete knows him from his college days and has been trying to get him since the offseason. Barring injury, Lynch will be the focal point of that offense in 3 more weeks.

Fred Jackson - I've seen people in redraft leagues going after CJ Spiller like crazy. Fred Jackson will be the primary back in Buffalo and played like a top ten ppr back when he started last season.

D. Bowe - Call it Bowe love, but he can be had for next to nothing right now. He hasn't been involved in the offense outside of a trick play for a TD. That is why I love him. This thread is all about 'value' and Bowe can be had for little right now. He will be involved more as time goes on. He has Pro Bowl potential, just needs the coach to unbunch his panties.

Robert Meachem - He is too talented to be sitting on the sidelines. I really thought they would use him more this season, but it is good for you that they haven't. Lately I have seen him traded for pocket lint and uysed bubble gum. Take a chance on him. He should not be in your lineup as anything more than a "I hope" type of player, but with Meachem, you can always hope for 70 yards and a TD. He has the potential.

Kenny Britt - This guy is a world class idiot. That being said, the injury to Gage opens up the door for him to show he is the future #1 WR of the Titans. He has the size/speed/moves, just needs to get his head screwed on straight. Another great buy very low candidate. Like Meachem though, probably best served as your bye week fill-in or a WR3. If he is going to be your top WR, don't bother trading for him as you are already out of playoff contention.

Dez Bryant - I don't like to include rookies in my "buy low" posts, but he is a great second half candidate to break out. Jerry Jones will make sure he gets his targets and as he learns the pro game, he could become a very nice WR option for you by the midseason point. Again, when you aren't giving up much in a redraft league, he's worth a shot if you have nothing else or need/want depth.

These are not guys that will win you a title, but they can all help you if your team is a borderline layoff club. The key is value and these guys can be had for much less than they are worth.

No way Wallace should be a buy low at this point. Anyone who's held onto him for the past four weeks should not be giving him up now, not with Ben on his way back and the only direction to go is up. As has been said in other buy low threads, his lowest point was after Week 2 when an owner might have panicked.

I think Bowe might be a buy low, but I'm not convinced. If you already own Charles or TJ, you don't want Bowe as well. If you don't have them, what gives you the confidence that the Chiefs are set to explode? Sure, the schedule is relatively easy, but they offense isn't exactly a well oiled machine. I think they feed the run game, and use Dex and Moeaki a lot more than you might expect, leaving Bowe, for me, being something of a lower WR2 with upside. Not bad, really, but how much are you going to give up to get him? And if you're an owner, how low are you really willing to sell him?

Meachem isn't a buy low, he's a desperation lotto ticket off the waiver when you're wracked with injuries. Maybe you scout him if the other Saints receivers get hurt, but so far the Saints haven't exploded enough to make Meachem a viable play at all. I started the season with him in one league, but he didn't make it past Week 1. For me there isn't enough potential here to be a buy low, I want someone who has potential to be a consistent contributor, even at a mid-range level. All Meachem will do is be frustrating on when to play him and when not. Again, only a desperation plug-n-play option in my view.

Dez has been hurt, sure he's coming off the bye and hopefully healthy, hopefully the Cowboys have figured it out, but the fact that he's a rookie, the fact that other established players like Witten and Felix are just as in need of getting into the mix, and the potential for the Rookie Wall towards the end, I think I'd rather take my chances elsewhere. I suppose if I had the likes of JStew and could sell him to someone who thinks he could break out, I might grab Dez. But I have a feeling that the people who have him also see his potential, and won't be willing to sell him very low.

Just my two cents on the picks.

I love Ray Rice as a buy low candidate. The Ravens schedule has been brutal and I expect their offense to starting picking it up and expect Rice to be a top 5 back the rest of the season.

Jamaal Charles is the other player that I love as a buy low player. I think his production is going to increase in the coming weeks and his talent will win out big time over TJ.

How is Charles a buy low though? He's the 22nd ranked RB in my PPR league, and I certainly drafted him with those expectations. Just on the production I've gotten already there's no way I'm selling low. What are you going to offer to buy him low that's going to make me give up a solid RB2 with upside?

Now, Ray I can see as a nice buy low, but the owner has to be hurting at other areas as well, because at this point the owner is likely thinking it can only get better. Unless you can really upgrade another need for the owner and still plug in a mid-range RB2 (or something) for depth, I don't see you prying Rice away for a low buy.

How is Charles a buy low though? He's the 22nd ranked RB in my PPR league, and I certainly drafted him with those expectations. Just on the production I've gotten already there's no way I'm selling low. What are you going to offer to buy him low that's going to make me give up a solid RB2 with upside?

Now, Ray I can see as a nice buy low, but the owner has to be hurting at other areas as well, because at this point the owner is likely thinking it can only get better. Unless you can really upgrade another need for the owner and still plug in a mid-range RB2 (or something) for depth, I don't see you prying Rice away for a low buy.

People that drafted Charles high are worried about the time share with TJ. He is not getting a lot of touches to this point and you might be able to offer someone that has soured on him a little or is struggling. I would offer someone that is producing or is a workhorse (ie Forte, Benson, Addai). Unfortunately many of the RBs that I would have tried to lure him for are now injured (Thomas, McFadden). I am a Charles owner myself and think he will greatly outperform these players. I must admit to being a Benson hater and don't think he will put together 2 good seasons in a row.

Is Shonn Greene a buy low for the second half? There's one owner who, despite the bye week and her craptastic RBs, is still sitting Greene. There is no confidence there, and I might be able to nab him... if he's worth it. Thoughts?

I have been targeting some of these guys now and will share my thoughts;

Mike Wallace (Pit) - With Big Ben back, he will be a legitimate high upside WR2 the rest of the way. He has great hands and speed. If you trade for him now, while he is on a bye and after having only one great game in the first four, you can get him for a lot less than he cost on draft day. I've traded for him in two leagues since Sunday and will be targeting him in many more.

Marshawn Lynch - Picked him up on the waiver wire when the rumors began a couple weeks ago in most of my leagues. In the leagues I've had to trade for him, he hasn't cost much. Many owners believe he will be splitting carries with Forsett. He will be, but only for a while. Pete knows him from his college days and has been trying to get him since the offseason. Barring injury, Lynch will be the focal point of that offense in 3 more weeks.

Fred Jackson - I've seen people in redraft leagues going after CJ Spiller like crazy. Fred Jackson will be the primary back in Buffalo and played like a top ten ppr back when he started last season.

D. Bowe - Call it Bowe love, but he can be had for next to nothing right now. He hasn't been involved in the offense outside of a trick play for a TD. That is why I love him. This thread is all about 'value' and Bowe can be had for little right now. He will be involved more as time goes on. He has Pro Bowl potential, just needs the coach to unbunch his panties.

Robert Meachem - He is too talented to be sitting on the sidelines. I really thought they would use him more this season, but it is good for you that they haven't. Lately I have seen him traded for pocket lint and uysed bubble gum. Take a chance on him. He should not be in your lineup as anything more than a "I hope" type of player, but with Meachem, you can always hope for 70 yards and a TD. He has the potential.

Kenny Britt - This guy is a world class idiot. That being said, the injury to Gage opens up the door for him to show he is the future #1 WR of the Titans. He has the size/speed/moves, just needs to get his head screwed on straight. Another great buy very low candidate. Like Meachem though, probably best served as your bye week fill-in or a WR3. If he is going to be your top WR, don't bother trading for him as you are already out of playoff contention.

Dez Bryant - I don't like to include rookies in my "buy low" posts, but he is a great second half candidate to break out. Jerry Jones will make sure he gets his targets and as he learns the pro game, he could become a very nice WR option for you by the midseason point. Again, when you aren't giving up much in a redraft league, he's worth a shot if you have nothing else or need/want depth.

These are not guys that will win you a title, but they can all help you if your team is a borderline layoff club. The key is value and these guys can be had for much less than they are worth.

Guys I am trying to buy low on right now are Fitz, Colston, and Shonn Greene. Fred Jackson could be intriguing based on last years production, but the Bills still have games against the Ravens, Bears, Steelers, and Vikings, so I am not that excited.

22 overall or 22 in points per game? Keep in mind players with week 4 byes always look "worse" in overall numbers for the first few bye weeks because 1 game's worth of production is a big difference percentage wise. In my non-PPR he is #13 in points per game. Totally agree that you would basically have to find an idiot panicky owner to be able to buy low on the guy.

Guys I am trying to buy low on right now are Fitz, Colston, and Shonn Greene. Fred Jackson could be intriguing based on last years production, but the Bills still have games against the Ravens, Bears, Steelers, and Vikings, so I am not that excited.

I'm not so interested in Jackson, only 2 TDs last year and over 1/4 of his total yards came in just two games. (TB in week 2 and Indy in week 17 when they were resting starters)

22 overall or 22 in points per game? Keep in mind players with week 4 byes always look "worse" in overall numbers for the first few bye weeks because 1 game's worth of production is a big difference percentage wise. In my non-PPR he is #13 in points per game. Totally agree that you would basically have to find an idiot panicky owner to be able to buy low on the guy.

He's 22 overall, and there's just no chance anyone could buy him low from me. Hell, I'd offer DJax (as something of a sell high) to get him in my family league, if the guy that had him need a WR.