Sign in to follow this  
saut

Commish Question

So a week ago I traded Boldin and Hardesty for Maclin. Last night, the guy drops Boldin. I'm the commish of this league and I sent a text to the guy this morning asking what the deal was (it's not like he has an amazing roster and Boldin was the only guy he could get rid of to pick someone else up). He said that it was a mistake but that he could learn to live with it - I offered to consider restoring Boldin to his roster.

So should I do it? Leaning towards no - it takes a number of steps to drop a player and I'm not even sure how it could be done accidentally. Also can't hold folks' hands - roster management is your own responsibility.

However I feel like a giant douche for basically taking Maclin for free, and there's a good chance a rival in my division picks Boldin up. That'd be just what I need.

Thoughts?

For the good of the league by preventing a freebie pickup for another team, I would restore Boldin to his roster and trust that it was an honest mistake on his part. Just remember it then becomes a precedent for future drop mistakes though.

So a week ago I traded Boldin and Hardesty for Maclin. Last night, the guy drops Boldin. I'm the commish of this league and I sent a text to the guy this morning asking what the deal was (it's not like he has an amazing roster and Boldin was the only guy he could get rid of to pick someone else up). He said that it was a mistake but that he could learn to live with it - I offered to consider restoring Boldin to his roster.

So should I do it? Leaning towards no - it takes a number of steps to drop a player and I'm not even sure how it could be done accidentally. Also can't hold folks' hands - roster management is your own responsibility.

You answered your own question. The guy made a move. He didn't contact you asking for the player to be restored.

PEOPLE PAY TO HAVE THE CHANCE TO MANAGE THEIR TEAM. LET THEM DO IT, GOOD, BAD OR INDIFFERENT.

For the good of the league by preventing a freebie pickup for another team, I would restore Boldin to his roster and trust that it was an honest mistake on his part. Just remember it then becomes a precedent for future drop mistakes though.

So now, anytime someone has sellers (droppers) remorse, he can claim he made a mistake and get the player back? :thumbsdown:

Why are you the commissioner? If you offer to restore the roster, then do it. Of course you have to restore it, you offered to do it. You're the commissioner, remember?

Since the owner said the Bolden drop was a mistake, I think it was ok for you to offer to reverse the drop (you'll probably get some opposing opinions on that). In our league, if an owner accidentally accepts a trade or drops a player, he needs to contact the commish immediately (within the next 2 minutes) to request having it reversed.

Given that the Bolden owner did not want to take you up on your offer to reverse the drop, Bolden is fair game for you and the rest of the league to go after. Don't look at it as though you got Maclin for free - that has nothing to do with Bolden a this point. Even though dropping Bolden might have been a bad roster move, it's not like he accidentally dropped a A.Foster or Drew Brees which would devastate his team. If anythinhg, I'd be wondering if that owner is checked out if he doesnt have a very good team - especiually since he did not care to reverse his mistake given the opportunity.

It's not uncommon for someone to accidentally drop the wrong player. In my leagues, that's why any recently dropped player has to go thruogh a 24-hour waiver process. There is also a rule that if one accidentally drops a wrong player that they contact the commish ASAP to correct the inadvertent error. Of course, if it looks like an obvious mistake to me, I'll try to contact the owner to verify it if he hasn't already contacted me.

The commish offered to reverse the drop and the owner said no. You can't just reverse the move "for the good of the league" if the owner doesn't want you to. The commish can't be managing everyone's team. Who knows, maybe the owner heard something about Bolden's health, or just doesn't like him. Leave it alone.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to let this one go but institute a small set of rules for accidental roster moves.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to let this one go but institute a small set of rules for accidental roster moves.

After the season, of course.

Always reverse accidental/mistake drops, unless you don't believe them and feel it wasn't an accident or mistake, considering the totality of the circumstances.

Someone getting the windfall of a solid player that wasn't meant to be dropped greatly outweighs any drawback of giving that player back to the team who dropped them.

This shouldn't even be a question.

If he didn't immediately contact you and say "oops I dropped the wrong dude" then heck no you shouldn't restore Boldin to his roster.

IMO, if he would have contacted you right away saying that he clicked the wrong button or whatever.... then it would be acceptable to reverse the drop.

If he didn't immediately contact you and say "oops I dropped the wrong dude" then heck no you shouldn't restore Boldin to his roster.

IMO, if he would have contacted you right away saying that he clicked the wrong button or whatever.... then it would be acceptable to reverse the drop.

I would normally agree with this, but it sounds like this hasn't been an issue in this league before, and that manager clearly didn't think reversing it would be an option, explaining why he may not have contacted the commish immediately.

i started a new rule this year allowing ONE free mistake reversal. usually this would happen while doing drop/adds the beginning of our week (Wed morning). It usually would involve going over your roster limits for a certain position. I would call the guy again and ask if this was a mistake? Perhaps next year you might want to have the league vote on a "free reversal" rule. Thanks for reading.