Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

*** Official College Bowl Games Gambling Thread***

just out of curiosity, and anger, does anyone know why there is no bowl game tonight? and basically no NFL games Sunday? Why do they do this???

edit: realized Sunday is X-mas, but why no bowl game tonight?

just out of curiosity, and anger, does anyone know why there is no bowl game tonight? and basically no NFL games Sunday? Why do they do this???

edit: realized Sunday is X-mas, but why no bowl game tonight?

Friday's an awful night for tv ratings.

Other guess is that it leaves teams/fans traveling on Christmas Eve, which is something they try to avoid.

NFL yields to the godless heathens of the NBA on Christmas.

The NFL is playing on Christmas, the Bears take on...uh, nevermind!

I'm bummed there is no college football tonight, can't beleive there are sooooo many bowl games and can't play one on Friday night.

The NFL is playing on Christmas, the Bears take on...uh, nevermind!

Like he said "basically no NFL".

Though I think McCown will do a better job than Mr Hainie.

Like he said "basically no NFL".

Though I think McCown will do a better job than Mr Hainie.

Can't do any worse JT...with GB losing last week, I think they pummel my Bears...unfortunatley!

2011 Bowl Record : 4-2

Southern Miss -8.5 Nevada

Southern Miss is facing some challenges, with head coach Larry Fedora coaching his last game and the disappointment of being passed over for bigger bowls. But they're a veteran team, very balanced on offense and with an incredible 13 non-offensive TD's this season (including 8 pick sixes). They lost early to Marshall, then were cruising toward a matchup with Houston when they slept through a loss to a terrible 3 win UAB squad. Trampling Houston wasn't enough to vault them in the ratings or the eyes of the bowl selection committees.

Nevada has had an up and down season, losing 3 of their first 4, reeling off 5 wins in a row then dropping 2 of their last 3. They made the switch to a redshirt freshman QB at midseason and results have been mixed. The Wolfpack are one of four teams in the postseason who didn't beat a bowl eligible opponent during the regular season. They've only won once this season when scoring fewer than 37 points.

The Hawaii Bowl has trended toward blowouts the last few years, with the last 3 decided by 28 points or more.

There's always a chance that Nevada gets out quick and Southern Miss falls victim to the Hawaii sunshine. More likely, the So Miss defense feasts on a young QB playing vs the best personnel and schemes he's seen all year. I think Southern Miss sees this as a chance to continue raising their national profile on the heels of the whipping they gave Houston.

Southern Miss -8.5 LOSER

Note to self: Pick against all lame duck coaches. Teams consistently uninspired. Also, feed mayonaisse directly to tuna fish. Eliminate middle man.

Good luck to all and merry Christmas! Best wishes to you and yours this holiday season.

Felt like I got robbed on the last 1st half under with all 31 points coming in the 2nd qtr.

Mizz UNC under 27 1st halfLoser

2011 Bowl record: 4-3

Missouri -4.5 North Carolina Independence Bowl

Don't have a great feel for this game. Both teams were erratic at best this season.

Missouri has the best offensive player in James Franklin, their sophomore QB.

UNC is awaiting their new coach Larry Fedora.

Promised myself after Southern Miss' lackluster performance under their lame duck coach (the aforementioned Mr. Hat) that I'd swear off teams in that situation.

All adds up to Missouri -4.5 (line has moved to 5.5 since I booked this play)

WINNER

Good luck to all!

Picks for the next few days.

WMichigan +130Loser

AirForce +145Loser

NotreDame +135Loser

Louisville +1.5Loser

California +135Loser

2011 Bowl Record: 5-3

NC State -2.5 Louisville

Belk (Formerly some tire company formerly Meineke Car Care)Bowl played in Charlotte, so maybe we'll actually see some fans.

Mixed feelings about teams like NC State playing so close to home. On one hand, they do have fans and fewer distractions. On the other, "our big bowl trip is to Charlotte???".

I think NC State is favored basically due to location. Louisville doesn't have any real stars, but they're pretty solid on both sides of the ball. Solid, not exceptional. In fact, they've been held to 17 pts or less six times this season. If UConn had taken care of business in the final week, the Cards would have been in the Orange Bowl instead of WVU.

Wolfpack is about as nondescript an offensive team as you can find. They have 7 wins and in each they intercepted more passes than they gave up TD passes. If the defense doesn't score, their anemic offense doesn't help much.

So two teams that don't score much. The difference? Louisville runs some very sophisticated schemes on defense and are very well coached. I like them to confuse NC States young QB and shut down their one dimensional offense.

Louisville +2.5 LOSER

Purdue -2.5 Western Michigan

Usually a very fun game, as five of the last six Little Ceasars Bowls have been decided by a TD or less. Plus it should be offense, offense and more offense.

Sure, Purdue has the top ranked pass defense in the Big Ten, but that conference doesn't have more than a QB or two that can throw a fit.

WMU? Absolutely awful defensively, having given up 800 yards vs Toledo, and over 400 rushing yards to two different conference opponents. They can score, ranking in the top 20 nationally in scoring offense, but they better.

Purdue doesn't turn the ball over, is very good in the kick return game, decent defensively, and a solid offensive team that should flourish vs a porous defense. Not enough points for WMU.

Purdue -1.5 WINNER

Good luck to all!

Purdue doesn't turn the ball over, is very good in the kick return game, decent defensively, and a solid offensive team that should flourish vs a porous defense.

As they give it away for the second time in the first half. Second lost fumble by a Purdue RB all season. :wall:

I'm liking Louisville +2.5 and the O-44. Both teams have been scoring a ton of points the last 2-games (scoring 70+ combined).

Figured i'd share this with you guys. My brother got me in a bowl pickem league, but it was different than any pickem league I have been in before.

Of course you pick who you think will win the games, but you have to do it by points. There are 35 bowl games, lets say that your really confident in Purdue and Louisville tonight to win and you think Air Force and Texas will win tomorrow but your not real confident in it. You would lay down 35 on Purdue and 34 on Louisville and you would lay down 1 on Air Force and 2 on Texas. Here's my picks/points.

1. Temple 27 Winner

2. Utah State 13 Loser

3. San Diego St. 14 Loser

4. Marshall 1 Winner

5. TCU 34 Winner

6. Boise St. 33 Winner

7. Southern Miss. 32 Winner

8. Missouri 18 Winner

9. Purdue 22 Winner

10. Louisville 11 Loser

11. Air Force 9 Loser

12. Texas 25 Winner

13. Florida State 12 Winner

14. Baylor 35 Winner

15. BYU 5 Winner

16. Iowa St. 15 Loser

17. Mississippi St. 21 Winner

18. Oklahoma 29 Winner

19. Texas A.M. 30 Winner

20. Georgia Tech 28 Loser

21. UCLA 6 Loser

22. Cincinnati 10 Winner

23. Auburn 23 Winner

24. Houston 7 Winner

25. Michigan St. 4 Winner

26. Nebraska 19 Loser

27. Florida 8 Winner

28. Wisconsin 16 Loser

29. Oklahoma St. 20 Winner

30. VT 3 Loser

31. Clemson 24

32. Arkansas 31

33. Pittsburgh 26

34. Northern Illinois 2

35. Alabama 17

Not for sure exactly how many people is in it but the prizes go like this

1st: 1,030

2nd: 550

3rd: 275

Last: 40

The BI was 40.

2011 Bowl Record ATS: 6-4

Crappy job of bowl prep by Louisville yesterday. Worst coached last 5:00 of football I saw all year, from both L'ville and NC State. Awful.

Pressed for time so quick picks for tomorrow.

Toledo -3.5 Air Force LOSER

Texas -3.5 Cal WINNER

Good luck to all!

Should be high scoring game with little defense, and high winds are scheduled for the game

Asher Clark (Air Force) Total Rushing Yards - Must Play

Over 87.5 (-115)Loser

Adonis Thomas (Toledo) Total Rushing Yards - Must Play

Over 103.5 (-115)Winner

Really need Texas to pull it out tonight to have a realistic shot at winning the pickem pool I am in. It was about a even split on the game being picked and I layed down 25 points.

Took the O in the Toledo/AF game and Cal +4 vs Texas...like Fla St -3 tomorrow against ND and love Baylor -8.5 vs Washington.

Wow, I thought Texas had QB woes, Zach Maynard is horrible. How the heck did Cal win at Arz St and lose by only 3 at Stanford their last 2-games???

EDIT: Seriously, this clown has no in the pocket presence whatsoever. And I think he's a senior, what a joke...it almost appears as though he's throwing the game, literally! LOL

WMichigan +130Loser

AirForce +145Loser

NotreDame +135

Louisville +1.5Loser

California +135Loser

This was pretty sweet, it's fun tot just throw away money

Is anyone watching this game??? Why the hell is the Cal QB still in the game? This guy sucks!

Yeah he blows. Glad I picked Texas.

Yeah he blows. Glad I picked Texas.

Once I saw the line go to 4, I jumped on it...ouch...need to make it up tomorrow. The line has moved to 4 in favor of Fla St, I think they beat ND easily.

Once I saw the line go to 4, I jumped on it...ouch...need to make it up tomorrow. The line has moved to 4 in favor of Fla St, I think they beat ND easily.

Good call fade my ND ML pick

Good call fade my ND ML pick

You might want to assume you go 0-5 and fade your own pick, I'd bet the house on Fla St to cover if I were you...actually, I think I might jsut do that! :music_guitarred:

I'm 12th out of 50 going into tomorrow in my pool. So far I am 8-4 on my picks but all 4 losses I have came in games were I have wager 14 or less...6-0 on my games that I have wager 20 or more so far.

Texas came through for me tonight, I have to have Baylor to win tomorrow. Made my biggest wager out of any of the bowl games on Baylor. Florida ST. winning would help, but as long as Baylor wins I have a shot going into the bowl frenzy on the 30th and the 31st (9 different games.)

2011 Bowl Record ATS: 7-5

Florida State -3.5 Notre Dame: FSU's defense should dominate this game. ND has some pop on offense, but they've turned the ball over far too much against the better teams on their schedule. I keep waiting for FSU's QB Manuel to live up to the hype; today may be the day. WINNER

Baylor -9.5 Washington: While FSU-ND will feature some solid defense and inconsistent offense, this game will feature lots of offense and absolutely no defense. Washington will try to keep RGIII off the field with their running game, but Baylor is too explosive and motivated. TAKE THE OVER! WINNER

Early game tomorrow

BYU +1.5 Tulsa WINNER

Tulsa is horriffic defensively, especially vs the pass. But they somehow overcome that and beat the teams they should. All 4 of their losses this year came against teams that were ranked in the Top 10 at the time (Oklahoma, Ok State, Houston, Boise), but each loss was by over 20 pts. BYU's offense isn't the high octane unit it's been, but their passing game has improved dramatically the second half of the season. That's the difference.

Good luck to all!

WMichigan +130Loser

AirForce +145Loser

NotreDame +135Loser

Louisville +1.5Loser

California +135Loser

Perfect record!!!

Baylor -9.5 Washington: While FSU-ND will feature some solid defense and inconsistent offense, this game will feature lots of offense and absolutely no defense. Washington will try to keep RGIII off the field with their running game, but Baylor is too explosive and motivated. TAKE THE OVER!

Nice call, already 95 points scored and there is still 6 mins left in the 3rd quarter.

After taking a 2nd look at the master-sheet for the pickem pool, although I put the max on Baylor to win it really won't make a difference either way. Only 2 out of 50 picked Washington and out them 2 neither one put over 9 points on it. Out of the 48 that took Baylor over 40 put 25 or more on it.

Also, you guys need to come join me in the gambling thread over at the Geek Club. I post all my picks over there, been really focusing on the NBA.

Dont know what the record is its bad :lol:

I am however doing very good in my big bowl pool similar to Ru93's.

BYU +1.5Winner

I haven't been able to figure this game out, it's gone from BYU -2.5 to BYU +2.5, that's a huge swing (did someone from BYU get suspended we don't know about?). Usually when it moves that much, I follow the public, which apparently is all over Tulsa for some reason. I decided to just take the O 56.5 (which just went up to 58)!

EDIT: I think I know why the sudden love for Tulsa, they are wearing a new helmet just for this game, it's camouflage to honor the military! :cheers:

ANOTHER EDIT: BYU/TULSA O/U just went to 60.5! I thought the 56.5 seemed kind of low for these two teams.

Also having problems deciphering the Iowa St/Rutgers game, most people appear to be on Iowa St.

Dont know what the record is its bad :lol:

I am however doing very good in my big bowl pool similar to Ru93's.

BYU +1.5

Good to hear.

From what I can tell the Iowa St./Rutgers game will make a difference in my pool. Pretty close to a split on picks and I put down 15 on Iowa St. Put down over 20 on Miss. St. and Oklahoma but it looks like the majority in my pool did the same as well.

BYU is sleep walking through the game, not sure what their problem is...run, run, run, punt...run, short pass, sack...punt, etc...Tulsa is definitely playing more inspired.

BYU is averaging 464yds a game and have 64 nearing the end of the 1st half, brutal. I think they have to take some shots down the field soon.