Sign in to follow this  
bkbergen

Yardage bonuses

Does league use yardage bonuses. My league has a 5 point bonus @ 350 yards then 10 points @ 400 yards passing.

Rushing and receiving each get 4 points @ 175 then an additional 4 points every addition 50 yards. Which is very unfair.

I never really looked @ it until this year but I noticed that we had 48 Qb's get some kind of bonus while RB's got 9 and Rec got 6.

Does league use yardage bonuses. My league has a 5 point bonus @ 350 yards then 10 points @ 400 yards passing.

Rushing and receiving each get 4 points @ 175 then an additional 4 points every addition 50 yards. Which is very unfair.

I never really looked @ it until this year but I noticed that we had 48 Qb's get some kind of bonus while RB's got 9 and Rec got 6.

We bonus 3pts at 150 yds rushing or receiving and 3pts at 350 passing. That's a huge bonus for hitting 400 passing. 15 total? 10 for an extra 50?

Saying a yardage bonus is unfair is very short-sighted. At the beginning of the season, as a fantasy owner it is your responsibility to read the rules and the point scoring system. For example, in one of my leagues you lose 2 points for each missed field goal and another you do not. My draft strategy needs to be different for each league - Janikowski is a top option in one but not the other because he kicked a lot of field goals in 2010, but missed 13. In this league, you would need to value Quarterbacks higher than WR and RB's if they are more likely to score bonuses. Thus earlier picks for QB's would be warranted. Also, you would want to target QB's that tend to pass for yardage, not running quarterbacks.

Saying a yardage bonus is unfair is very short-sighted. At the beginning of the season, as a fantasy owner it is your responsibility to read the rules and the point scoring system. For example, in one of my leagues you lose 2 points for each missed field goal and another you do not. My draft strategy needs to be different for each league - Janikowski is a top option in one but not the other because he kicked a lot of field goals in 2010, but missed 13. In this league, you would need to value Quarterbacks higher than WR and RB's if they are more likely to score bonuses. Thus earlier picks for QB's would be warranted. Also, you would want to target QB's that tend to pass for yardage, not running quarterbacks.

While what you say is true, it's also part of the commish responsibility to set-up the scoring properly. Part of that responsibility is weighing any bonus/performance points properly. The bonuses is the OP's league seem a bit wonky.

We do bonuses at 300/400 passing and 100/150 rush/receive. The frequency of both are pretty close to equal.

One of my leagues is 3 points extra for 100 yards recieving or rushing.. Extra 3 points for 300 yards passing.. and every 50 after that is another 3 points.

I like it and I don't. In one way it does stand out getting 100 yards rushing/recieiving because you always here 'oh he had 5 100 yard rushing games' or whatever.

But on the other hand why should 100 yards be worth 3 more points then 99 yards? Its only one stinkin yard..

But on the other hand why should 100 yards be worth 3 more points then 99 yards? Its only one stinkin yard..

This. I never understood bonuses, especially big bonuses - 3pts, 5pts even 10pts!

Jeez, if your QB throws 400yards I'm pretty sure his point total will already be enough to beat down the opponent, why make it impossible by "giving" him another 10pts?!?!

These bonus were set up in 1998 by the original commish. It never really mattered until this year when it seemed like every week someone was getting a yardage bonus. The bonus is supposed to be for something that does not happen often. For instance a 60 yard FG is worth 13 points since there it rarely happens (3 points + 10 bonus points). Our original long TD (50+ yards) was a worth 18 points until we changed it to 10 points.

I just wanted to know what bonus structure people used if any. Personally if bonus is 5, 10 for QB then it should be the same for other positions.

Mobb_Deep - The commish does not have to weigh the bonuses equally, that is what makes each league different. Again, it is the owners responsibility to read the rules and point system, then adjust your draft strategy. With your logic, kickers should score the same as quarterbacks - Why do you think kickers are picked in the last rounds?

Mobb_Deep - The commish does not have to weigh the bonuses equally, that is what makes each league different. Again, it is the owners responsibility to read the rules and point system, then adjust your draft strategy. With your logic, kickers should score the same as quarterbacks - Why do you think kickers are picked in the last rounds?

Again, I completely understand what you're saying. I agree for the most part... You need to understand the scoring system and QB's and kickers obviously shouldn't score the same amount of points (not that it would matter, using your logic).

I guess as commish I just try to make things "make sense". The scoring shouldn't be weighted to the point where an outstanding performance by one position completely trumps a similar performance at another position. I don't know about you, but I don't want to play in a league where 40-50% of a teams weekly scoring would come from just the QB. That makes the rest of the team completely secondary. To avoid this scenario, the scoring and performance bonuses needs to be somewhat balanced between all the SKILL positions. That's why most competitive leagues reward 4 points for TD pass, vs 6 for a run/catch. Most also have .5/1 PPR. It makes a dominating performance by a RB/WR/TE as valuable as the same performance from a QB.

Just my .02. :cheers: