Sign in to follow this  
Reality

New Orleans Saints at San Francisco 49'ers

I've already laid out my argument for why, if I was the official, i would have thrown a flag. I've seen that penalty get called for far less than knocking a player clean out. Malicious or not a helmet connected with a helmet, whether he was defenseless or not is debatable and we happen to sit on opposite sides of the fence. No need to be a douche about it.

Well I didnt agree with you at first but with such a strong argument I guess im gonna have to believe you :rolleyes:

Uhh, OK..

Uhh, OK..

Please man. You showed up in this thread trying to be a condescending smartass. This is petty.. I'm done

Please man. You showed up in this thread trying to be a condescending smartass. This is petty.. I'm done

I created the thread lol. Anyway, way to take being wrong like a champ.

:thumbsup:

I created the thread lol. Anyway, way to take being wrong like a champ.

:thumbsup:

Egh poor choice of words I suppose.. what I mean is that you are the one that started with the terse condescending replies. Anyway.. just cause the officiating crew didnt see it my way doesnt mean im wrong.. doesnt mean im right either. Thats the trouble with having so much grey area in a rule.

Egh poor choice of words I suppose.. what I mean is that you are the one that started with the terse condescending replies. Anyway.. just cause the officiating crew didnt see it my way doesnt mean im wrong.. doesnt mean im right either. Thats the trouble with having so much grey area in a rule.

Exactly. I've seen far lesser helmet to helmet hits called -- which this was -- so the lack of consistency in rulings makes this appear unfair. I do agree that the Lions fans can argue that the call in their game was wrong, but it also didn't end up being the difference in the game. That's what makes the Thomas his sting, and I bet you that hit is called anywhere other than San Francisco. Such is the power of home field. Just look at the Green Bay game.

Also, "Reality" is too hellbent on being a condescending douche to accept that it is open for debate. He even responded to my message twice separately just to deride a differing opinion. I wouldn't spend much time on trying to have a reasonable discussion with it.

You sad, dense, little man. It's not just the officiating crew. The NFL has reviewed the hit and declared it legal and no penalty deserved.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82606878/article/nfl-says-hit-by-niners-whitner-on-saints-thomas-was-legal

A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

There may be interpretation of this on the field, but not when you take it to video.

Thomas demonstrated his ability to ward off the contact of an opponent when he saw the hit coming and lowered his head.

The officiating crew got this one right.

"Whitner Dat" - Move On. :cry:

You sad, dense, little man. It's not just the officiating crew. The NFL has reviewed the hit and declared it legal and no penalty deserved.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82606878/article/nfl-says-hit-by-niners-whitner-on-saints-thomas-was-legal

A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

There may be interpretation of this on the field, but not when you take it to video.

Thomas demonstrated his ability to ward off the contact of an opponent when he saw the hit coming and lowered his head.

The officiating crew got this one right.

"Whitner Dat" - Move On. :cry:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/01/nfl-explains-jennings-non-fumble

Well since the NFL must always be right I guess my eyes fooled me yet again when I thought that Jennings fumbled the ball.

The NFL isnt gonna come out and undermine its officiating crew on a call that could have gone either way. Had they thrown the flag on the play and 9ers fans were upset id guarantee the NFL would come out defending that call as well.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/01/nfl-explains-jennings-non-fumble

Well since the NFL must always be right I guess my eyes fooled me yet again when I thought that Jennings fumbled the ball.

The NFL isnt gonna come out and undermine its officiating crew on a call that could have gone either way. Had they thrown the flag on the play and 9ers fans were upset id guarantee the NFL would come out defending that call as well.

You're comparing a "was he down" call to a fine-able and suspend-able offense that must always be reviewed and weighed by the League. :lol: :nono:

From your link as well:

So was it a fumble? The NFL won’t say one way or another. :dunno:

Care to deflect and reach anymore?

Thomas lowered his helmet and braced for impact. He defended himself against a clear non-launching tackle. It's not Whitner's fault Thomas is a pvssy.

You're comparing a "was he down" call to a fine-able and suspend-able offense that must always be reviewed and weighed by the League. :lol: :nono:

From your link as well:

So was it a fumble? The NFL won’t say one way or another. :dunno:

Care to deflect and reach anymore?

Thomas lowered his helmet and braced for impact. He defended himself against a clear non-launching tackle. It's not Whitner's fault Thomas is a pvssy.

"the NFL won't say one way or the other" was the opinion of the writer of the article. Greg Aiello clearly was defending the call his guys made.

Anyway.. as far as pierre defending himself with the lowered head.. you really think in a play that happened so fast they noticed that on the field? Only with slow motion do you notice that. I guess it can be interpretted as him being able to protect himself but I just don't see it. Thats like if someone threw something towards your head and you turn just in time to see it about to hit you in the face.. your mind sees it and flinches but its not nearly enough to protect you from the impact. Like ive said.. im biased in my opinion of this but I honestly believe if this was a play in the broncos/pats game that I would feel the same way. Arguing about it doesnt change anything and if they really wanted that game maybe they could have covered Vernon Davis for a play or two.