Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

A look back at the 2011 playoffs from a fantasy perspective

Since I have been focusing on player trends in the second half of last year I wanted to spend some time looking back on the 2011 playoffs and seeing if there was anything to take away.

NO-Detroit

Brees was dominant posting 466-3 tds. Stafford was nearly his counterpart posting 380-3-2 and adding a rushing td on the ground.

Calvin Johnson was all world going 12-211-2 on 15 targets. Titus Young was second on the team with 10 targets.

Detroit had no running game whatsoever.

Jimmy Graham led the Saints with 11 targets-hauling in 7 for 55-1.

Colston continued his hot streak catching all 7 targets for 120-1.

Sproles went for 51-2 on the ground and added 4-34 through the air.

Lance Moore and Ingram missed the game, leaving Meachem and P. Thomas to have huge days as well. The void left by Meachem will likely be spread around to Colston, Graham, Moore and Henderson.

Houston-Cinci

Arian Foster was all world going for a 153-2 and adding 29 through the air.

AJ went for 90-1 and should be even better next year with improved qb play.

Dalton was horrible throwing 3 picks and AJ Green wasn't much of a factor catching just 5 of 12 targets for 47 yards.

Atl-NYG

Matt Ryan and company were all together horrible. Roddy and Julio were the most targeted falcons.

Eli and especially Nicks began a great run. Manning went 277-3 with a large part of that thanks to Nicks' 6-115-2. Mario Manningham also had a big day as Victor Cruz was a focus of defensive attention.

Jacobs rumbled for 90 and Bradshaw added 80 combined yards.

Denver-Pitt

Tough to tell much from Denver's side moving forward with manning now in town. McGahee was quiet going for 60 yards at 3.2. Thomas looked great.

Issac Redman rumbled for 121 yards at 7.1 and added 21 through the air.

Champ, I assume, mostly took wallace out of the game but he added a rushing td. I think they find more ways to get the ball in his hands next year.

E. Saunders, not Antonio Brown, led Pitt in receiving with 81 yards and was second on the team with 8 targets compared to Browns 7-70. I think Sanders is a sleeper with Hines out of town.

Saints-49ers

Brees again was all world. Going 462-4-2

Colston was again the top wr target catches 9 of 12 for 136-1.

Sproles added 118-1 through the air as NO smarlty decided not to run.

Jimmy Graham caught 5 of 8 for 103-2.

Gore put up 89 and 38.

V Davis caught 7 of 10 for 180 and 2 tds, which helped A. Smith to a 299-3-0 day. (Top 5 here he comes!)

Crabtree was the most targeted 49er with 11 but only caught 4-25 but that included a td.

Denver-NE

McGahee did better with 73 on the ground, a td and 4.5 average. Thomas again looked great with 6-93.

Brady was all world throwing 363-6.

Gronk posted an obscene 10-145-3 line.

Hernandez was the leading rusher with 61 and added 4-55-1.

Welker 6-55-1. Branch 3-85-1.

Houston-Bmore

Foster again all world. 132-1, 22 in the air.

AJ 8-111 even though Yates was awful.

Rice had a quiet day going for 60 and 20.

Boldin was the big WR threat going 73-1.

Torery Smith had a very quiet 1-9 day.

NYG-GB

Eli Manning was great again in large part again to mr nicks.

Manning went 330-3-1. Nicks posted 7-165-2.

Cruz caught all 5 targets in this one for 74 but it was Manningham that caught at td.

Bradshaw went for 63 and added 20 in the air. Jacobs had a td.

Rodgers was off point. Going 264-2-1 and was the teams leading rusher with 66 yards.

Finley was the most targeted receiver with 9 but no GB skill players stood out. All subpar days.

Balt- NE

Brady had a sub par day. 239-0-2

BJGE went 68-1. There is going to be a void to fill there next year.

As expected Gronk, Hernandez and Welker led the team in targets and yards with Hernandez being the front runner with 11 adding 7-66.

Hernandez also had 3 rushing attempts for 9 yds.

Flacco had a good game going 306-2-1

Boldin again was huge with 6-101 and Torrey Smith got in on the action with 3-82-1, albeit on only 5 targets.

Rice continued his quiet playoffs with 67 on the ground and 11 in the air.

NYG -SF

Manning again was great. 316-2-0

As SF might have decided to shift focus to Nicks due to his hot streak he was limited to 5 on 12 targets for 55 yards and that left Victor Cruz to get an absurd 17 hauling in 10 for 142.

Manningham caught another td.

Bradshaw, against a stout D, added 74 and 6-52

NYG-NE

In a lower scoring than anticipated contest Manning went 296-1-0 to Brady's 276-2-1.

Nicks was again a star catching 10 of 13 for 109. Manningham was next most targeted wr catching 5 of 9 for 73 and a td. Cruz added another.

B. Pascoe, after a lone td catch against SF, caught all 4 of his targets for 33 yards. He might be featured more with Manningham gone.

Bradshaw was solid once again. 72-1 plus 19 through the air.

Gronk was severely limited and Hernandez led the team with 14 targets catching 8 for 67-1. Welker followed up catching 7 of 8 for 60.

Players that stood out to me:

Nicks had an absolutely tremendous playoffs. For all the Cruz talk he is still the Giants WR I want to own.

Vernon Davis: If Alex Smith can stay consistent there are now enough skill players in SF that teams shouldn't be able to simply take Vernon away. Could be in for a big year.

Ray Rice: Relatively quiet both games. Usually not his fault as the OC has a history of not giving him the all enough.

Stafford: Totally deserving of a top 4 qb pick and possibly second round pick.

Calvin Johnson: Goes without saying that he's the top wr and a first round pick. If anyone can break Moss's td record it's him.

AJ Green: Finished up a no td final quarter of the season with a quiet playoff game. Some concern that with Dalton and the lack of skill on Cinci, that teams can take him away.

Colston: Continued his fantastic finish to 2011 and looks continue to be an integral part of the offense with Meachem leaving town.

Sproles: He delivered in both games. In a part time roll but you can't argue with the production.

Bradshaw: Had a relatively consistent impact in all games. Giants won't make him a full time back but he should be a big part of their game plan next year.

AJ: Had a great couple of games with subpar qb play. Things should only get better next year.

Graham: Back concerns didnt' slow him down at all and he might be the most consistent wr or te playing. Seems like a can't miss pick even if there are an abundance of te options.

Hernandez: Patriots likely find more ways to get him the ball. Maybe in space as a hybrid rb with BJGE leaving. Welker isnt' getting any younger.

Wallace: His rushing td and Mendenhall's absence make me think they too try to get him the ball more in space.

Matt Ryan: Went from a good second half to a terrible playoff game. Inconsistency might still plague his game.

E. Saunders: Sleeper with Hines gone.

E. Pascoe: Sleeper with Manningham gone.

You guys have any thoughts on what the second season might forecast for next year?

P.S. Hopefully someone finds some of this useful and not totally crazy. I like checking this stuff and and this is simply the forum where I gather my thoughts.