Sign in to follow this  
Auk5150

converting to keeper league....need rules.

I am converting my league to a keeper league. 10 man league and probably keeping 2...maybe 3. I would like to have keepers from round 5 or later only.(meaning rounds 1 thru 4 are thrown back every year) I'm wondering if anyone is in a league similar to this and would be willing to share their "rules". especially for trading of picks and players both before the 5th round and after. Just tring to see what issues i may be up against.

thanks!

Auk5150

I'm in a 12 team keeper league. You can keep up to 2 players each year. The first time you keep a player you have to give up the draft pick 2 rounds higher than that player was drafted the previous year. So if Marshawn Lynch was drafted in the 6th round in 2011 and I want to keep him in 2012, I give up my fourth round pick. Effectively this means all 1st and 2nd round picks are thrown back into the draft each year. Usually the 3rd rounders go back too because no one wants to give up their 1st round pick.

If you keep the same player for a second year in a row you give up your pick 4 rounds higher than the previous year. So if I had Matt Ryan in the 12th round in 2010. I keep him in 2011 giving up my 10th round pick. In order to keep him again in 2012 I give up my 6th round pick.

The next year I would have to give up a pick 8 rounds higher so in the example above I wouldn't be able to keep ryan for a third time. Only players drafted in rounds 14 and 15 can ever be kept a 3rd time.

For trading picks and keepers, we can trade a potential keeper for a draft pick. So using Matt Ryan again, if I have him as a potential keeper in the 6th round. I can trade him for say a 5th round pick. The other team gets Matt Ryan in the 6th and can only designate 1 more keeper. I get an extra draft pick in the 5th round but now can only designate 1 keeper total.

No player can have more than 2 keepers.

We are in our 4th year under this system and so far it has worked out really well. The draft is still full of good players and no one team has ever been too overloaded with talent because of keepers.

We've had a keeper league for years and have tweaked it for the liking. As a matter of fact, we haven't changed anything about it in years. Here is what we do. 10 team league and you get to keep 2 guys. You are allowed to keep the year you draft the player and 2 more years and then must throw back into the draft. Also, we cannot keep anyone drafted in the 1st three rounds. Before we added this layer Lamont Jordan went number one overall. That is when we realized we had a problem and our live drafts were not very fun anymore.

Whatever round you draf a player, you have to give up an earlier round pick in next years draft and a round earlier the following. Also, free agent pickups can be kept for a 4th rounder. If you have two players to keep in the same round such as the 4th, then you have to give up a 3rd and 4th.

Pretty simple and it really keeps the fun in the league because all the normal studs come back into the draft. This forces you to find the hidden gems. I drafted Stafford in the 8th and Gronk in the 9th last year so I am starting out with those two players and only giving up a 7 and an 8. Took Peterson in the 6th round his rookie year!