Sign in to follow this  
egbbfb03

Idp advice

We play an Idp in my league...I hate it.

What is everyone's preference....do you try to play a DE, LB, or DB?

I need to pick one up and can't decide......I am thinking about either Justin tuck or Jared Allen because we get 3 pts per sack. Thanks

We play an Idp in my league...I hate it.

What is everyone's preference....do you try to play a DE, LB, or DB?

I need to pick one up and can't decide......I am thinking about either Justin tuck or Jared Allen because we get 3 pts per sack. Thanks

I prefer IDP leagues. IDPs are people too!! Now, the logic is, well, what about the OL and the Punters then? Well, how do you get stats for an OL each week? Anyway, you can get stats for IDPs and I like having them.

Just like almost every thread on this site, or for any FF conversation really, it all depends on what you league scoring and lineups are. Some IDP leagues don't allow DEs. Some are such LBs and DBs. Some spell it out so far as DTs, DEs, LBs, CBs, and Safeties.

For the purposes of generalities, let's assume your league only allows DE, LB, and DB - as you listed. Unless you can get Pierre-Paul or Jared Tuck, forget the DEs. DEs are too inconsistent. Sure, they can get a couple of sacks and have a good game for you, but they can also get shut out.

What you want in an IDP is consistency with upside. Think tackles first and then the potential for big plays second. LBs can get 5-10, or more, tackles a game. That's solid, consistent scoring and that's what you want. If you pick them right, not only will they get you those tackles, they can get you INTs, FF, FR, sacks, and passes defended. I generally consider LBs to score, on average, about double that of most DLs.

For DBs, think safety. Much in the same line as LBs, think tackles. Safeties get them. Sure, Revis is great in real football, but in FF not so much. Most CBs only come into play about half the time, when the ball is run to their side or a pass thrown towards them. The very best don't even get thrown at that much. Makes it kind of hard to build up stats for you in FF. Stick with safeties, they get you tackles.

But, you posted you can get Allen so tack him. It's hard to imagine he's available, but ok. If he is, perhaps Clay Matthews is too! I'd suggest getting him too.

Linebackers, preferable ones who plays all three downs. IOW one who isnt subbed for in obvious passing situations. Someone like Sean Lee, D'Qwell Jackson, James Laurenitis, Daryl Washington or Navarro Bowman. Look for guys with high tackle counts. Those numbers will generally translate week to week. Turnovers are like touchdowns, they are great when your guys get them, but they are almost impossible to predict. Sacks you can predict a little bit (like when a good pass rusher plays an inferior O-Line) but still they can be hard to count on. D'Qwell is going to get 10-12 tackles every week. Thats 10-12 pts almost guaranteed. And if he gets a turnover or sack, thats just gravy.

Linebackers, preferable ones who plays all three downs. IOW one who isnt subbed for in obvious passing situations. Someone like Sean Lee, D'Qwell Jackson, James Laurenitis, Daryl Washington or Navarro Bowman. Look for guys with high tackle counts. Those numbers will generally translate week to week. Turnovers are like touchdowns, they are great when your guys get them, but they are almost impossible to predict. Sacks you can predict a little bit (like when a good pass rusher plays an inferior O-Line) but still they can be hard to count on. D'Qwell is going to get 10-12 tackles every week. Thats 10-12 pts almost guaranteed. And if he gets a turnover or sack, thats just gravy.

This. Just like my offensive players, I want consistency out of the IDP position. MLB's are the most consistent in IDP leagues since they rack up the moat tackles. I play in a few leagues where we start just 1 IDP but it can be any position (DL, LB, DB) but I also play in a true IDP league where we start 4 IDP's (1 DB, 1 DL, & 2 LB's). This one is more fun because then you get to play players at all the positions.

Like the previous poster said, go with the MLB's that are on the field mostly every down but pay attention if they get pulled on passing downs. I always try to get Patrick Willis as my IDP but he had a bad week in week 1 due to him not being the dime LB in SF's defense. Navarro Bowman is I believe.

This. Just like my offensive players, I want consistency out of the IDP position. MLB's are the most consistent in IDP leagues since they rack up the moat tackles. I play in a few leagues where we start just 1 IDP but it can be any position (DL, LB, DB) but I also play in a true IDP league where we start 4 IDP's (1 DB, 1 DL, & 2 LB's). This one is more fun because then you get to play players at all the positions.

Like the previous poster said, go with the MLB's that are on the field mostly every down but pay attention if they get pulled on passing downs. I always try to get Patrick Willis as my IDP but he had a bad week in week 1 due to him not being the dime LB in SF's defense. Navarro Bowman is I believe.

I play in a league that starts 2 DL, 2 LB and 2 DB. Its kind of a crazy league, we start 1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 2 TE, 2 Flex 1K 1 Team DST and 6 IDP We changed up the scoring a bit for the IDP's so that all turnovers are worth 5 pts and sacks are worth 4 pts. THis way top IDPs score on par with the better offensive players. D'qwell got me 26 pts last week :D I still go for IDP with high tackle numbers, but it evens the playing field a bit for DL and DB