Sign in to follow this  
tbone138

Do you ever just take a zero for a player?

I've got Jennings going on Monday night and due a massive influx of injuries... forte, bradshaw, nicks, hernandez... I've got zero options other than Jennings. I could pick up James Jones to have in the wings if Jennings doesn't play but I'd have to drop hernandez, bradshaw, matt schaub (backup), ben tate, or cedric benson. I think I'm going to roll w/ Jennings and get a goose egg if he doesn't play. Bad idea?

forte, bradshaw, nicks, hernandez

Your league needs an IR spot (or two). Not that it helps right now, but having to hold onto that many injured guys is terrible.

Out of that group I would drop Schaub, assuming you have a solid QB1. If Schaub is just a bye week replacement, that's easy to replace on the WW (and he may very well stay available through this week, and you can get him back).

I wouldn't take a 0. To lose a close game that you would have won with Jones, and then miss the playoffs by a game, would be heart wrenching. It's great to have a deep bench, but it doesn't mean jack if you're not winning.

Week 3 you simply can't just accept a zero. You gotta figure something out whether its dropping a good player or making a trade. This early in the season, you need every point you can get. Week 10-13 is a different story, but this early, you can't just accept the goose egg.

Agree with post by Rsersen.......Matt Schaub is the guy to release. Even if you can't get him back the following week, there should be a comparable QB that you can get for the 1 week that you might need Schaub.

Assuming it is allowed in your league, I would hold off making a decision until Monday night.

1. Jennings might still play.

2. You might know at that point if you can win with a zero at the position.

If you need points on Monday, drop Schaub and pick up Jones.

Edit: of course, depending on how competitive your league is, someone picking up Jones to screw you over is a possibility :)

Assuming it is allowed in your league, I would hold off making a decision until Monday night.

Edit: of course, depending on how competitive your league is, someone picking up Jones to screw you over is a possibility :)

This is a very good point.

also, if your league is a redraft league, you may be able to get away with dropping someone like Tate (who is a nice handcuff to Foster, but wont put up huge numbers unless Foster gets hurt) Tate got a few carries in the blowout win last week, but this will not be the norm. Foster got 20+ carries in both games and looked good.

if you're gonna do it, wait as long as you can like this guy said. Sometimes the decision becomes clear as game time approaches.

Not sure what your rules are but in a lot of leagues this wouldn't be possible (dropping Schaub). Most players "lock" as soon as their game kicks off (making it impossible to drop a player that already played until your WW starts up - mine is Weds. at 4am).

CHECK YOUR RULES BEFORE YOU DECIDE.

I did this in one of my leagues last year. In this league you can only make 8 waiver pickups for the whole year. My kicker was on a bye, and when looking at the FA kickers available, I saw a kicker from a monday night team was there. I used 6 moves and didn't want to waste one of my last two moves if I didn't need it. So I waited to see how the score shook out. If I was down a few points I would of picked up the kicker and played him monday night. I ended up being up big and not needing to waste a move :thumbsup:

But like someone else said some waivers get locked after the games start, so check your league rules first of course.

If your team is so stacked that you literally have nothing but studs on your roster, one of two things must be true. Either...

1) This league is pretty small and shallow, which would make Matt Schaub completely unrosterable, so you can drop him with impunity.

or

2) Despite being large and deep, you have a roster with nothing but studs, meaning you can drop whoever the hell you want and still waltz to the title. I suggest Matt Schaub.

Bearing in mind that all this expert analysis goes right out the window if this is one of those retarded start 2 QB's leagues.

I've done it before. It's not desirable, but I'd rather not drop a quality player to pick up somebody that may only get you a few points. If you have the roster spot to drop somebody then go right ahead. Nothing worse than picking up somebody so you don't take a zero and the guy comes up empty. I picked up James Jones last week and that didn't exactly work out for me.

Just my two pennies

Drop Schaub, not worth much at all in anything but a 16 team league. He's the worst rated QB so far and having him on your roster is not worth getting a 0 from your WR spot. When you get your injured players back you'll be in fine shape. Good luck!