Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Cards sign RT Eric Winston

By Kent Somers azcentral sports Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 AM

The Cardinals have reached agreement on a 1-year contract with offensive right tackle Eric Winston, who will compete for a starting job.

Winston, 29, started for the Chiefs last season after spending his first six years in the NFL with the Texans.

Both teams released Winston primarily for salary and cap reasons, according to reports.

The addition of Winston, 6-feet-6-inches and 305 pounds, creates more competition and questions on the Cardinals offensive line.

Throughout the spring and summer, coach Bruce Arians expressed satisfaction with the team's situation at tackle: Levi Brown on the left side, Bobby Massie on the right and Nate Potter competing for a job.

Winston's addition could mean that Cardinals coaches' opinions about their tackles changed over the spring and summer. Or, it could simply be a matter of adding an experienced player, Winston, at a bargain price.

Massie spent the final week of off-season practices at left tackle, with Potter gaining experience on the right side.

http://www.azcentral.com//sports/cardinals/articles/20130724arizona-cardinals-to-add-eric-winston.html?source=nletter-

If the Cards shore up their O-line then bump up Fitz, Mendy, Palmer, and the rest of their skill players.

Winston is a solid run blocker, so Mendy should get a slight bump. That being said, Mendenhall is being overyhped lately. He's not a receiving threat and Bruce Arians doesn't throw to his RB's anyway. In a PPR, he's an 8 point a game guy and I see people taking him as their RB2 in leagues where you must start two. That is crazy to me. I would only use him as a bye-week fill-in type of player and then only against a weak defensive front. He lacks burst, top-tend speed and any shiftiness. He played against Cleveland and Cincy when both were near the bottom of the league against the rush, and he didn't put up "good" numbers then. He is a blue collar worker coming off an injury. In one of my MFL Leagues, he went in the 5th round. I actually laughed.

Winston is a solid run blocker, so Mendy should get a slight bump. That being said, Mendenhall is being overyhped lately. He's not a receiving threat and Bruce Arians doesn't throw to his RB's anyway. In a PPR, he's an 8 point a game guy and I see people taking him as their RB2 in leagues where oyou must start two. That is crazy to me. I would only use him as a bye-week fill-in type of player and then only against a weak defensive front. He lacks burst, top-tend speed and any shiftiness. He played against Cleveland and Cincy when both were near the bottom of the league against the rush, and he didn't put up "good" numbers then. He is a blue collar worker coming off an injury. In one of my MFL Leagues, he went in the 5th round. I actually laughed.

I actually agree on Mendy; must threw him in as a Card being drafted. Personally I'd rather roll the dice with Williams or Taylor later in the draft.