Sign in to follow this  
ChiTownKev

Tips for starting a dynasty league?

I've decided to finally try my hand at starting a dynasty league, but I'm not really sure how to begin. As much as I enjoy my keeper and redraft leagues, dynasty seems like it would be a bit more challenging, but I have to learn quite a bio before I jump in.

Are there any tips/strategies people can provide for someone looking to start a dynasty league for the first time? Just so I'm clear, I'm not looking for advice pertaining to the league I'd like to start. I'm more interested in what the best practices are for anyone looking to take the plunge into dynasty, and/or any rules of thumb for someone looking to create a new league from scratch. Thanks.

Make sure absolutely everyone in the league is or has been in COMPETITIVE fantasy leagues before. You don't want multiple owners jumping ship after a tough season

Also make sure any trading of future picks is done after collecting down payments on future year entry fees. You're not going to get a replacement owner that has to pony up the regular entry fee and then gets stuck with just two 4th round rookie picks

Write a thorough bylaws detailing all this and more. It should all be in black and white. This isn't a MFL 10 or a freebie Yahoo league. Rules must be established for ALL possible events

That's great advice. I appreciate it. Any thoughts on the startup draft?

Like what? The draft is the easy part. Decide if you want an 8 hour clock or 12 hour clock, if it is supposed to be a slow draft. The draft kind of takes care of itself.

Ok, fair enough. Although I think the timeframe alone will probably take some adjusting to, since I've never participated in a draft that extensive before. What else would you advise?

Are you implementing a taxi squad? Its important to a dynasty league.

determine if you want a true dynasty where players are kept forever, or if you want a catch and release format.

Catch and release is where a player can remain active on a roster for a maximum of 3 years then must be traded or released.

Make clear deadlines where a player gets an extra year of service dependent on IR. So if a player is put on IR by a team before noon the first game of week 6, that player does not get a year counted toward his 3 in catch and release.

Make sure everyone understands the bylaws, or at least make sure everyone knows they must understand them. Advise they ask questions if there is a misunderstanding.

Dont be afraid to ask someone to help out with a few commish duties if you cannot get to every issue.