Sign in to follow this  
twofewbraincell

How should I use my last bench slot?

WARNING: This post is fairly long for this forum. If you are in a hurry or just not in the mood to read through the rambling thoughts of a madman then I recommend only reading the text in bold.

I have a lot of intriguing possibilities and a lot of them will dry up once waivers lock tomorrow. All of these options except for #1 involve dropping B. Tate.

Option 1: Hold onto B. Tate for RB insurance through the playoffs. This might be my least favorite of the options because I will likely drop him in the near future. I have Crowell, McKinnon and F. Jackson as back-up RBs so he seems like overkill.

Option 2: Pick up V. Davis to backup Kelce. I never would have thought I'd find Davis in the FA pool of my competitive 12 team league but I cannot say it isn't justified. However, Harbaugh has stated this week that he thinks Davis is about to turn a corner (maybe there has been an undisclosed injury bothering him?) and I'm inclined to listen because Davis is a player that often starts slow and has his best games late in the season or during the playoffs. I do not trust Kelce week to week due to the run first nature of the offense he is on. That said, unless Davis shows some life this week or next there is no way I can justify starting him.

Option 3: Roster a second defense to stay a week ahead of other streamers. My current defense is Buffalo who after this week has a rough 3 game stretch against CLE, DEN and GB. I could drop them after this week and continue to stream week to week or hold onto them and grab Baltimore which would give me Balt vs Jax week 15 and Buff vs Oak week 16.

Option 4: Pick up Peterson as a possible keeper/pre-season trade bait. This option is tempting me because I panicked mid-season and traded my 3rd round pick for Marshall. Now I'm desperate to get it back any way I can. The problem is that I do not believe I have the best team this season but I do have a decent shot at winning the championship. Rostering AP would mean that I either had to give up my backup QB or Defense and unfortunately I do not have a match-up proof starter at either of these positions.

1. Hmm... hate option 1. Tate is so speculative I hate handcuffs this yr it's been hard cause so many good ones... well I hate Tate as a handcuff... one knee injury from "starter" with 30 rush yds.

2. As a 49er fan it pains me but Kelce might be best ww add TE that is top 5. Vernon played like 2TE... injury been part of it and lack of targets. He will play Sea again so having him there makes sense if he does well on your bench then in the playoffs might be a good play when he plays them an AZ who are vulnerable to TEs.

3. I did that last week got a 2nd DST would of done it in both leagues but I saw the tremendous potential of GB... 3 return TDs later feel it's justified but needed more depth at RB and DST weren't elite. I like Bal there a 1DST and that schedule looks horrible I would even drop Buf who despite elite play... vs GB, Den the worst combo.

4. AP pickup interesting not sure he is more 3rd rounder next yr. If your out of playoffs or not going all out I would. But I like winning. Here's my strategy... for this.

You going to game 2-3 options. Now before I begin if you can start a flex TE having Vernon makes the most sense or if playoff opponent has weak TE... why I got 4 QBs.

This week AP likely no one adding especially this late, Bal DST vs NO likely no one adding but looking ahead is smart. In my leagues most don't look beyond a bye or week... so your looking ahead 2 weeks. You add Vernon as a bench player if he underperforms with a solid matchup then safely add Bal next week or if allowed this week.

Now if you have no flex TE and starting Kelce all the way do it just add Bal. QB is a big deal when Alex is TE heavy guy so I stick with Kelce. Vernon is interesting play though and nice handcuff if you feel Kelce might go down but Bal will give 2 auto-playoff starts. After the Buf game vs Cle you drop that DST and either get Vernon cause you were wrong or you grab AP.