Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Seattle Seahawks draft room

Seahawks snag another safety, picking Tedric Thompson, Colorado at #111

Jayson Jenks:

The Seahawks haven't drafted a safety higher than the 6th round since 2011. They've drafted 2 in the first 4 rounds this year.

Agree on Reece. Release Kearse, and use his money to resign Reece for 2 years.

I'll never understand why teams are so passive with having him around.

Forget FB, Oakland should've used him as a starting halfback.

Seattle should be falling all over themselves to resign him right now. And nothing?

Hasn't even had a workout with a team.

Maybe the dudes a weirdo and none of us know it?

Agree on Reece. Release Kearse, and use his money to resign Reece for 2 years.

I'll never understand why teams are so passive with having him around.

Forget FB, Oakland should've used him as a starting halfback.

Seattle should be falling all over themselves to resign him right now. And nothing?

Hasn't even had a workout with a team.

Maybe the dudes a weirdo and none of us know it?

Trust me, he is not a wierdo. I followed his entire career in Oakland, and he is (justifiably) widely respected.

Seattle has to be frigging blind if they did not see the same difference-maker as we did towards the end of last season. He energized the entire O-line ffs. I will not rest easy until he is re-signed...and if he isn't, I am prepared to lose a lot of faith in PCJS.

Because DAMN.

Wilson has to put his foot down. He's gotta say, listen. A patchwork oline every year. I trust you guys, and go with the flow. I'm a good soldier/company man.

I NEED THIS GUY! You gotta throw me a bone.

I'm sure Wilson really likes him. He personally gave Reece the game ball after the detroit playoff win.

Wilson has to put his foot down. He's gotta say, listen. A patchwork oline every year. I trust you guys, and go with the flow. I'm a good soldier/company man.

I NEED THIS GUY! You gotta throw me a bone.

I'm sure Wilson really likes him. He personally gave Reece the game ball after the detroit playoff win.

Good point. Wilson probably won't have a coherent thought or a full night's sleep until July or August though, since his daughter was just born yesterday afternoon.

It may rule him out for any current input.

Half way through the 5th. We have no pick. I believe 2 sixes and 2 sevens, to round out the day.

I gotta go. My thoughts are, if we draft for need. We're empty at FB. And Walsh scares the crap out of me at K.

At this point in the game, our roster is pretty deep and solid.

Cross our fingers Boykin gets scared straight. And the Oline improves (really can't get any worse).

But, 2 FB'S look solid. Freddie Stevenson from F.State. And Sam Rogers from V. Tech.

3 Kickers had high draftable grades. Cincy just took Jake Elliot. But Andy Phillips from Utah. And Zane Gonzalez from Arizonz State are still there.

See everyone tomorrow.

Hate this pick. My first remote throw.

I kind of like this pick myself. I think he'll be better then the first Safety we drafted!

Personally, I would have rather had Budda Baker or OBI and keep both these picks for other positions.

But, this guy is a great coverage safety, team leader and calls on the field leader, as well as part of one of the best Def in the nation or at least pac 12. He can dissect a play quickly and goes fast in coverage. Goes a little slower on run support.

He's a very good candidate for Earl Replacement and may even be able to play a little nickel corner for us right away.

I think his only weakness is that he's a little hesitant on run support, unlike Earl that is torpedo quick. He's very fast and quick back peddle though. His coverage skills are fantastic.

The other safety is more of a strong safety, so Kam replacement, but he's not strong enough or heavy hitter. I'm not sure he'll work out even. He tends to stay back and misread plays a lot, unlike Tedric. Not as good in coverage either.

I'm not a fan of that 3rd round Safety pick.

Just my thoughts on what I see.

I kind of like this pick myself. I think he'll be better then the first Safety we drafted!

Personally, I would have rather had Budda Baker or OBI and keep both these picks for other positions.

But, this guy is a great coverage safety, team leader and calls on the field leader, as well as part of one of the best Def in the nation or at least pac 12. He can dissect a play quickly and goes fast in coverage. Goes a little slower on run support.

He's a very good candidate for Earl Replacement and may even be able to play a little nickel corner for us right away.

I think his only weakness is that he's a little hesitant on run support, unlike Earl that is torpedo quick. He's very fast and quick back peddle though. His coverage skills are fantastic.

The other safety is more of a strong safety, so Kam replacement, but he's not strong enough or heavy hitter. I'm not sure he'll work out even. He tends to stay back and misread plays a lot, unlike Tedric. Not as good in coverage either.

I'm not a fan of that 3rd round Safety pick.

Just my thoughts on what I see.

You've got a lot of company in your assessment of Thompson. Been hearing a lot of good things about him from various sources this afternoon.

With pick #210, (6th Round) the Seahawks choose Mississippi State OT Justin Senior.

Edit: He started for 2 (or 3, depending on your source) years as RT, and moved to LT in his last year.

With pick #226 (7th round), the Seahawks claim a second wide receiver: East Central Oklahoma WR David Moore

"...7th-rd pick WR David Moore "Oh, man, it's like a dream come true" Didn't expect to be drafted, "not at all." Expected free agency"

With their last pick in the 2017 draft (#249) the Seahawks select RB Chris Carson, Oklahoma State

ETA: RB Chris Carson, 7th rd Ok St, on Seahawks' call: “I was getting nervous. I wanted to hear my name called. I cried to be honest with you."

Guy had to be sweating it, there at the very end. That's gotta be massive, awful stress.

So...this draft netted 4 DBs, 2 DLs, 2 OLs, 2 WRS and 1 RB.- but no QB or kicker.

Kopy, you know as well as I do that post-draft is where PCJS really shine. They're probably licking their chops right now, contemplating all of the possibilities that abound in the UDFA market.

Andrew BrandtVerified account @AndrewBrandt

The post-Draft free agent frenzy is the Wild West. Players/agents have to act fast or get left behind. Money runs out in about an hour.

Although the team has not released an official list yet, several of those UDFAs who either signed with the 'Hawks or were issued rookie camp invites after the draft today are mentioned UNofficially at the link below. Mind that all of those listed are not necessarily verified, but it gives a general idea. I did notice a QB or two in there (WVU QB Skyler Howard and University of Texas QB Tyrone Swoopes), but not any kickers or punters that I could see.

Anyway, give it a look: http://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/29/a-look-at-seahawks-undrafted-free-agent-signings-camp-invites-leaks/

Although the team has not released an official list yet, several of those UDFAs who either signed with the 'Hawks or were issued rookie camp invites after the draft today are mentioned UNofficially at the link below. Mind that all of those listed are not necessarily verified, but it gives a general idea. I did notice a QB or two in there (WVU QB Skyler Howard and University of Texas QB Tyrone Swoopes), but not any kickers or punters that I could see.

Anyway, give it a look: http://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/29/a-look-at-seahawks-undrafted-free-agent-signings-camp-invites-leaks/

Swoopes signed on to be a TE.

I like the pickup of Skyler Howard/QB out of WV

2015 - 3145 yards, 26 TD's 14 int. (long of 70)

2016 - 3328 yards, 26 TD's 10 int. (long of 71) (9 rushing TD's)

Kid is definitely tough and I think could handle the NFL. Has some running ability and like R. Wilson seems to always have his eyes looking downfield when he does run. I like his poise in the pocket with good arm. He seems to evaluate the field pretty good.

From what I saw his touch on the ball was good, which is pretty big. Played against some top talent teams.

His size looks like his main weakness (Like R. Wilson) 6'0. Saw some batted down balls. If the NFL is to big for him then that would be his problem. However, he did slide around the pocket nicely and found good passing lanes. Smart enough to use his dump off's, etc. Looks to have a good deep ball, but didn't see to much. I need to see some more games still.

Very Interesting pickup though!

I like it.

• Like 1

I think I'm gonna be ok with that Tedrick Thompson pick. I took Hawkfins advice and really looked at him. I like what I see and hear. Actually, I like everything about that whole Colorado secondary.

Good job Hawkfin.

This does seem like this might be Chancellors last go around. I think they're preparing for him leaving for free agency next year.

What's everyone's thoughts on Pocics initial position?

I'm thinking RG?

Move Ifedi to RT.

I have some concerns with Pocics pick. He played center 90% of the time. So them saying he can play all positions, and I guess he did limited, there is no real good tape showing he can actually do it and do it well.

Also, the Center position, while it has other major challenges and skill to it, IMO leads to more success as a blocker. They are tucked in the line and get help by big guards and speed is not a factor as much. Hard to get by the center and guards.

This is why I think Britt excelled here FINALLY.

It's a little easier to block at center IMO where Britt struggled at all the other positions. Plus most of the other guys sucked so bad that maybe we didn't notice Britt as much. hahaha

So to me, I'm not sure Pocics converts in the NFL as well as his tape looked since I couldn't see it outside of center. ALSO, we passed on 2 stud LT's that actually could maybe even play LT in the NFL, if not RT or guard. So the pick is hard to swallow.

That being said, I liked what I saw on tape out of Pocics. He was a great pass blocker and NEVER seemed to get beat. He pulls out too and looked really good. I liked what I did see on tape.

I also wonder if this is Britt ins. since he'll be due a contract increase soon. Not to mention the potential backup center roll would be important to have even though that would suck that another pick was screwed up in J. Hunt.

SO actually, the pick makes more sense if your looking at it this way too....

Anyway, I would think the center job is Britt's for sure this year. So I see Pocics competing at RG. I can't see him at the tackle positions, but again, I didn't seem him do much of anything other then Center.

I do think Ifedi moves this year If anybody and I think he can do well at it. But, the best man takes the job and if Pocics isn't up to the part he may not even start? And that will make me not like this pick more.

I would guess he's RG though and next to Ifedi/RT and Britt to help him out and work him in.

I like the pickup of Skyler Howard/QB out of WV

2015 - 3145 yards, 26 TD's 14 int. (long of 70)

2016 - 3328 yards, 26 TD's 10 int. (long of 71) (9 rushing TD's)

Kid is definitely tough and I think could handle the NFL. Has some running ability and like R. Wilson seems to always have his eyes looking downfield when he does run. I like his poise in the pocket with good arm. He seems to evaluate the field pretty good.

From what I saw his touch on the ball was good, which is pretty big. Played against some top talent teams.

His size looks like his main weakness (Like R. Wilson) 6'0. Saw some batted down balls. If the NFL is to big for him then that would be his problem. However, he did slide around the pocket nicely and found good passing lanes. Smart enough to use his dump off's, etc. Looks to have a good deep ball, but didn't see to much. I need to see some more games still.

Very Interesting pickup though!

I like it.

Really appreciate your analysis, Hawkfin.

Thanks!

A little more information on the UDFA business:

Once the NFL Draft ended Saturday afternoon, teams were able to begin signing undrafted free agents.

Teams this year have a pool of about $98,000 to sign those players to bonuses. Players then are typically signed to a three-year contract for the minimum salary, which in 2017 is $465,000.

Seattle was reported by various sources to have signed eight players as undrafted free agents.

However, many more players will be invited to the team’s rookie mini-camp May 12-14, and it’s possible that some players reported as signing UDFA deals are simply being invited to the mini-camp.

Here’s a brief look at eight players thought to have signed — the team has said it will not officially announce any signings until Monday...

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/breaking-down-the-seahawks-reported-undrafted-free-agent-signings/