zftcg

Fast Willie Parker Award nominees

My Billy Volek Award thread for fantasy playoff MVP was such a hit, I thought I'd try a new one named after another blast from the past: Who's a guy who will low-key go off in an otherwise meaningless Week 17 game, tipping off fantasy sharks for the following season?

In 2004, Steelers rookie RB Wilie Parker filled in for a resting Jerome Bettis, since Pittsburgh had already clinched the No. 1 seed. FWP, who to that point had 13 carries all season, put up 19/102 against the Bills. The following season he seized the starting job and ran for 1,200 yards. I remember there was a guy in my league who had seen that previous year's game and took a late flier on him in the deaft.

Not sure there have been many others. Arian Foster gave a taste of what was to come late in his rookie season, but it was over two weeks, as he went 19/97/1 and 20/119/2 in Weeks 16-17. And of course, there was Joe McKnight, who went for 32/158 in Week 17 2010, which of course foreshadowed his Hall of Fame Career made him the greatest one-hit wonder since Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Point is, it almost certainly won't happen again. I bet if someone did pull a FWP, the fantasy hype machine would kick into gear and he'd be a second rounder by next summer. Still, it's fun to speculate. Criteria are a) guy who has gotten little to no buzz so far, b) unexpectedly given a starting opportunity because of an injured/resting veteran, c) has the potential to break out next year

• Justice Hill -- certainly has the opportunity this week. Doesn't seem to have much of a path for the future, but what if Ingram gets hurt next summer and he only has to beat out Edwards?
  • Ryquell Armstead -- I think Fournette is playing, but who knows what's going on with that team?
  • Travis Homer -- I know nothing about him, but Seattle's RB situation is obviously in some state of flux right now
  • Damien Harris -- obviously the Pats' backfield is always in a state of flux
  • Someone on the Lions -- sounds like it will be Kerryon this week, but I'm a Lions fan and every week they seem to trot out some new RB I've never heard of.