Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigbadbuff

Round 9 commentary

Guest bigbadbuff

well I've blown this draft anyway might as well screw it up some more.

Guest t.j

First time a new position has been drafted since round 1! smile.gif

Guest Tarheel Boy

I like the Ravens pick. I had seriously considered taking them with my last pick. They will give you more points than any other defense will week in and week out.

Guest kariya9
Originally posted by Tarheel Boy:

I like the Ravens pick.  I had seriously considered taking them with my last pick.  They will give you more points than any other defense will week in and week out.

I have to disagree here. The Ravens D is a goldmine when shutout points are given or points for keeping opponents under 10 pts etc. The Rams were #1 for turnovers 2 years ago........and its very hard to predict INTs and fumble recoveries. That said, the Ravens arent a bad choice of the defenses out there......but i still think there are better picks with 5 rounds to go in this scoring system. IMO.

Guest t.j

kariya9 you have a point that Baltimore may not be the goldmine of turnovers that one would expect at first glance. However what sets Baltimore apart from other top D/STs is touchdowns. Jermaine Lewis is probably good for some and with incredible athletes like Ray Lewis, Jamie Sharper, Duane Starks, and Chris McAlister, you have to think they will be able to get it in the end zone when they get the ball once in awhile.

The only question is will they play as intense in the regular season as they did in the playoffs. Because in 4 playoff teams against offenses that overall were pretty good and not turnover prone, they averaged 3 takeaways and 1.3 TDs, which is just sick.

Guest bigbadbuff

I honestly didn't know how many rounds were left (I didn't even know the scoring system until a few days ago oops) but I'm not upset I took them with 5 rounds to go. Kariya you're right that they'd be more valuable with the normal scoring for defenses, but I think they are the best D out there and will help me out plenty- I wanted to make sure I got them, so I took them here. Kickers, Defenses, and WR are still a plenty, so I grabbed what I considered the best consistent threat every week out of what was left.

Guest Ditkanate

Are we drafting a D/ST combo? I thought it was just a defense. confused.gif

Guest kariya9
Originally posted by Ditkanate:

Are we drafting a D/ST combo?  I thought it was just a defense.    confused.gif

On a serious note..i thought it was just Def........but it might be D/ST

Guest t.j
Originally posted by Tusekan Raiders:

9.07 Paul Smith, RB SF

On John Clayton's program on ESPN radio today he said that Garrison Hearst is "well on his way to winning the starting job." Wish I'd have heard this two days ago. Anyway what this means is with Hearst #1, Barlow in the picture, not to mention Beasley the TD stealer, Smith may not be the great pick he once looked like. It also means stick finally made a smart pick this round! Good job ~stiffler!

Guest Tarheel Boy

Are we drafting a D/ST combo?  I thought it was just a defense.    confused.gif

Combo

Guest bigbadbuff

Combo

Um, thank God?

Guest ulick

Damn, the last two rounds have been brutal. At this point, I'm calling it the curse of Jake Plummer. Thought I'd be able to get one of the last few RBs that I thought were worth rolling the dice- and ended up getting Skip Hicks! This is not to mention both Blake and Stokes going... at least it'll be getting down to just kickers and defense soon. Still a few receivers on board that might be worth having, but chances are they'll be gone by my next pick.

With the 8th pick of the tenth round, ulick takes... David Pattern.

Guest Tusekan Raiders

I don't believe Garrison Hearst will be a full time back again in this league. TD machine Beasley: gm1 3, gm2 1, gm 3 1, rest of the season: 1. A Zack Crockett/William Floyd type career is what he'll be lucky to get.

It's early, but Smith already earned Mooch's stamp of approval. That can't hurt his chances come August. Mooch has more to do with him playing than John Clayton.

Guest ulick

Man, it would be the feel-good story of the year if either Hearst or Edwards could come back, but the smart money is laying off these bets. Both are getting rave reviews from the mini-camps, but it doesn't mean anything until they strap on the uniforms.

Smith has been working ass off this spring, and Mooch does love the guy. If he'd gotten to me, I was going to take him. I don't know if he'll be the starter, but he should get some carries. Right now, its looking RBBC in SF. Hell, I actually thought a couple minutes about taking Beasley last pick.

Tells you how much I think of Hicks.

Guest bigbadbuff

Nothing but poo poo left now.

With the 4th pick in the 11th round BBB drafts Stinky McPoo, a rookie with unproven talent.

Guest ulick
Originally posted by bigbadbuff:

With the 4th pick in the 11th round BBB drafts Stinky McPoo, a rookie with unproven talent.

That's good:

Guest ulick

But that's bad:

Guest The Unknown Soldier

Figured I'd be holding people up after a full day, but nope! biggrin.gif

I might check back a little later, but doubt it will make it back to me until tomorrow...so I'll probably just check back in early tomorrow.

Guest Ditkanate

well, i am off to bed. no more waiting for bronco billy. but the prospects of another exciting day in the life of an oobalooba drafter will make it tough to fall asleep!! oh the anticipation!!!!!

Guest ulick
Originally posted by The Unknown Soldier:

http://fantasy.sportingnews.com/nfl/articl...624/325622.html

ulick, you got Thomas Jones to go with Pittman, right?  

That's good!

What is it with Arizona athletes anyway?

Damn, I probably could have just kept Favre and got Jones on the cheap anyway.

It's only June- just wait until the slew of ACLs and broken legs hits right before pre-season.

But Thomas Jones... that's good:

Guest t.j

I don't believe Garrison Hearst will be a full time back again in this league.  TD machine Beasley: gm1 3, gm2 1, gm 3 1, rest of the season: 1.  A Zack Crockett/William Floyd type career is what he'll be lucky to get.

It's early, but Smith already earned Mooch's stamp of approval.  That can't hurt his chances come August.  Mooch has more to do with him playing than John Clayton.

All I'm saying is that Clayton knows more about what Mooch thinks than you do. And even if Beasley isn't going to get 10 TDs a year, if he steals 3 from an already part-time back... that's bad.

Guest t.j

well, i am off to bed.  no more waiting for bronco billy.  but the prospects of another exciting day in the life of an oobalooba drafter will make it tough to fall asleep!!  oh the anticipation!!!!!

Guest BroncosFan

I generally don't like going after defenses this early but so far this draft has gone all wrong for me. Because of my draft position, it seems like I've always been a couple of picks too late to get the guys I've wanted and thus had to take a guy from another tier.

I rank Balitmore and Tampa Bay about the same. They are the only 2 teams that I have a lot of confidence in to score big.

Guest RK

Wow, we made great progress, thanks to "list leavers" biggrin.gif

Just curious what you think of my only 2 WRs so far . . . Mathis and Price? Depth at other positions caused my WR talent to drop, but I think I'm ok. Thoughts?

Guest Canio6

Ditka - nice pick, except that was my guy! mad.gif Not that I was expecting him to get back to me.

Guest RK

A mad.gif face after a K pick isn't something I thought I'd see biggrin.gif

Guest Ditkanate

I'll trade you Nedney for Emmitt Smith mad.gif

Guest Canio6

I'll trade you Nedney for Emmitt Smith   mad.gif

Thanks but no thanks. I wasn't THAT high on the guy biggrin.gif

Guest Tarheel Boy

I don't know if I'm missing something or not and maybe TUS can answer this for me but I'm kinda surprised Troy Brown was still available this late in the draft. With all the problems Glenn is having and his injury history I figured someone would have picked Brown up by now. He had over 80 catches last year. Any thoughts?

I don't know if I'm missing something or not and maybe TUS can answer this for me but I'm kinda surprised Troy Brown was still available this late in the draft.  With all the problems Glenn is having and his injury history I figured someone would have picked Brown up by now.  He had over 80 catches last year.  Any thoughts?

He should've been picked by now. In fact him and Graham were the next 2 I would've taken. Both will be very good #3 wr's IMO. Brown could even be a #1 option with all of Glenn's troubles.

BUT with the additions of Johnson and Small, Brown may move back to the slot receiver slot and lost out on some catches. That was the Pats goal because that's where Brown performs the best. If they move him back there, he'll catch a few less, but has the chance for more td's since Drew loves to look for him in the red zone when Troy's the 3rd receiver. Very good value this late.

Guest Tarheel Boy

Yeah, I was going to pick Graham and saw that Brown was still available. I think Graham is going to have a good year especially when Conway goes down with his yearly injury.

Yeah, I was going to pick Graham and saw that Brown was still available.  I think Graham is going to have a good year especially when Conway goes down with his yearly injury.

That's good!

Despite my horrible early morning typing, I figured you'd get the garbled meaning behind my Brown post:

Less receptions, more td's, slot receiver, return guy (won't help much in this league though). Good pick.

Guest Ditkanate
Originally posted by The Unknown Soldier:

Less receptions, more td's, slot receiver, return guy, good pick.

I don't get it. confused.gif

Guest bigbadbuff

there is still a WR and TE I'm targeting that I think will do very well this year... I'm sure I'll be able to get them, no one else think anything of them. Why not add them to my ever growing list of scrubs

Guest Canio6

there is still a WR and TE I'm targeting that I think will do very well this year... I'm sure I'll be able to get them, no one else think anything of them. Why not add them to my ever growing list of scrubs

Me too. Perhaps they are the same. I figure they will be gone before it gets back to me. mad.gif

Guest Smitty

I don't believe Garrison Hearst will be a full time back again in this league.  TD machine Beasley: gm1 3, gm2 1, gm 3 1, rest of the season: 1.  A Zack Crockett/William Floyd type career is what he'll be lucky to get.

There is a sleeper RB in SF that no one is paying attention to that I think could be a solid solution for the 49ers. Paul Smith/Kevan Barlow are average RBs at best and I really have doubts that Hearst could be the full time guy again. I wonder if Mooch is going to give Saladin McCullough a real shot at the job? I know it was the XFL but he played really well and was a great RB in college. He catches well out of the backfield, hits the hole and has some real breakaway speed. Seems like he could be a solid back for the system out there. I know it isn't likely that he'll even break camp but my suspicion is that if they actually gave the guy a real shot, he would surprise....any htoughts?

I want to go for a sleeper wr that WILL be gone the next time 'round, but will have to go for another position. frown.gif

Guest t.j

Some good picks this round. Damn you guys for picking Tampa D, Troy Brown, Joe Nedney, and Garrison Hearst! mad.gif

Guest RK

t.j, Jordan is a great pick for you there. I would probably have taken him if he was there for me next.

This guy was rated very highly until he was drafted into a back-up situation.