Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Emmylou Harris- Ryman 5/2

Emmylou Harris & the Nash Ramblers.

Damn good show. Filmed for a PBS broadcast in early August.

Pretty much went through the playlist of her 1991 album, recorded at the Ryman. Kicked it off with Guitar Town.

Someone can start a would you hit it spin off- hell yeah. In a heartbeat.

Background story- the Ryman is 125 years old. In 1974 they pretty much closed the place, except some tours and the occasional show.

By 1990 there was a lot of pressure to tear the place down.

Emmylou cut her album in 91- with something like 200 people in the crowd. The balcony was condemned- no could sit in the balcony- and no one could sit under it. Her album really drew attention and the artists started speaking up to save the place.

The owners put in a multimillion dollar renovation an the place reopened in 1994.

It's one of the best performance venues in the country. Seats 2362 people. Acoustics are excellent.

Emmylou is quietly recognized as the one who saved the Ryman.

It was a cool evening.

One thing about live recordings- if they don't get them right- they do them over. At the end of the night, they ended up running through the first 3 songs again.

are you like a season ticket holder or something? If I see someone I want to catch can I hop on a plane and go with you?

nothing jumped out to me, Punch Brothers maybe? :dunno:

are you like a season ticket holder or something? If I see someone I want to catch can I hop on a plane and go with you?

i

I wish- instead, I'm a poor slob who works the shows as an usher. Kid is starting college in the fall. Figured this wouldn't be a bad gig for a part time job.