Sign in to follow this  
Kilroy

Williams, Wilford & Jones - Steppin Up or Steppin Down?

Reggie Williams

He was a first round pick in '04 and started 15 games as a rookie. Finished the '04 season with 27 receptions, 268 yards and 1 TD in 15 games played.

Last year, he started the first 5 games before missing a start in Week 6 (still finished with 3 receptions that week) and then started again in week 8 after the bye. Unfortunetly, he got injured in that game and missed the better part of the next 5 games.

In the 6 full games he played to start the season Williams averaged 3.5 receptions per game and 41 yards. When Williams returned for good in Week 13 he closed out the season averaging 3.1 receptions and 47.2 yards a game despite only starting 1 of the last 4 contests.

It seems many are ready to write Williams off as a disspointment already. I tend to disagree. For a 3rd year wide-out, he already has a good amount of starting expierence in the NFL. He'll definetly be challanged in camp by Ernest Wilford and Matt Jones, but I believe he's the favorite to enter the season as the #1 guy.

Ernest Wilford

Wilford was a 4th round pick in '04 and despite being selected 3 rounds later than Reggie Williams, Wilford is the guy who made an immediate impression during his first mini-camp. Many had said he was the more imprssive of the two receivers since joining the Jags. Despite this, he still had just 3 starts in comparison to Williams 15 in as a rookie, but he did manage 2 TDs on 19 receptions for 271 yards

Last season Wilford got his oppurtunity to start after Williams went down with an injury. Before taking over the starting role, Wilford didn't do much in the way of receptions (until he had 6 for 145 and 1 TD after stepping in for the injured Williams in Week 9), but he did catch 2 TDs in the first 5 weeks.

After taking over as the starter in Week 9, Wilford averaged 3.5 receptions for 84 yards a game and caught 4 more TD passes. He finished the season starting the last 8 games and finsihed with 41 receptions for 681 yards and 7 TDs.

Although Wilford doesn't have as much starting expierience as Williams entering his 3rd season, he still goes into '06 having started the last 8 games of '05. With Jimmy Smith's retirement, it opens up a spot for Wilford with the first team offense. With the year of expierence he has on Matt Jones and the way he has impressed since being drafted I think it's safe to expect Wilford to be starting in '06.

Matt Jones

Jones may be the most talented of the 3 receivers mentioned. Despite playing mostly at QB in college, Jones still managed 36 receptions for 432 yards and 5 TDs as a rookie last year.

He has the ability to be the best receiver of the bunch, but I think he'll needs to learn the position a bit more before taking over a starting role in just his second season. It's not out of the question, but I'm not expecting it right now.

So, any of these guys going to step up and fill the void left by Jimmy Smith?

I'm not a big Reggie Williams fan, but the Jaguars continue to have faith in him. He has shown flashes of skill, but not as many as Jones and Wilford.

Again, in my upcoming statistical profiles of breakout candidates at WR, I have Jones and Wilford and possible candidates that I discuss. I think Jones and Wilford step up and Williams holds steady. Together they make Jacksonville a little more dangerous because they won't be Jimmy Smith-dependant.

I'm not a big Reggie Williams fan, but the Jaguars continue to have faith in him. He has shown flashes of skill, but not as many as Jones and Wilford.

Again, in my upcoming statistical profiles of breakout candidates at WR, I have Jones and Wilford and possible candidates that I discuss. I think Jones and Wilford step up and Williams holds steady. Together they make Jacksonville a little more dangerous because they won't be Jimmy Smith-dependant.

One things for sure, Leftwich should have plenty of targets in the red zone this season. Reggie Williams and Ernest Wilford go about 6-4", 220. Mercedes Lewis and Matt Jones are both about 6'6". I'm not sure of their weights but I know their big guys. They must have the biggest group of WRs in the league.

I also think Randy Hymes has some value now as well. It remains to be seen if he makes the roster, but he is worth keeping an eye on in the preseason...

When I run into situations like this, I generally do one thing.

Go after the QB when I think I can get good value.

This could be Leftwich's breakout year. He's proven he's an NFL QB but hasn't put up stud QB stats. It's beginning to look like he has more options than he knows what to do with. I've liked what I've seen out of Williams and Wilford the past couple years. Lewis and Jones are more or less unknows. I know they're both athletic and full of "upside". Either/both could catch two TDs this year or ten TDs. I don't focking know.

But I am pretty sure that a couple of those guys will have nice seasons. I'll be more apt to draft Leftwich this year than any of those guys.

I can't take any of these guys for my #3 wr, but 9th round and later I will be willing to grab in this order

1- Matt Jones - blazing speed with a 6'6'' frame - wow - lots of potential + some possible looonnggg td's

2- Williford even though I just haven't seen him play much

3-Reggie Williams - nah

I can't take any of these guys for my #3 wr, but 9th round and later I will be willing to grab in this order

1- Matt Jones - blazing speed with a 6'6'' frame - wow - lots of potential + some possible looonnggg td's

2- Williford even though I just haven't seen him play much

3-Reggie Williams - nah

I can't comment much on Williams, but I've seen a bunch of college tape from Jones as a QB, and he made defenses look ridiculous. He's huge, insanely fast, has really good moves, and is one hell of an overall athelete. I think he is going to be great next year. This year I'm thinking he still takes time getting comfortable.

I think Wilford emerges as the go-to, tough reception WR and Matt Jones becomes the deep threat and red-zone target. I think Jones might put up a couple more TDs, but Wilford will be more consistent yardage-wise. Jones has the flash and will probably be picked earlier, but I like Wilford better for value and consistency. I think Wilford would be a real nice WR3 this year and I wouldn't have a problem drafting him as such.

I don't see Reggie Williams being a fantasy factory as their third WR option.

wilford will be the receiver to get the sure catches and first downs, while MJ will be a big play threat. Reggie is done, he sucks. wilford will be the go to guy for now, but matt jones will still be a solid 2 receiver. but next year is the year for jones.

The way I see it...

1) Matt Jones has the most potential to be a solid all around WR. Speed and height make him a prime TD target. And he'll continue to get more comfortable as a WR and should flourish.

2) Ernest Wilford is the big possesion type WR. He'll post decent yards, but not many TDs.

3) Forget Reggie Williams, how about Marcedes Lewis as the #3 target. This guy is HUGE with nice hands and should be a regular red zone target for Byron.

The way I see it...

1) Matt Jones has the most potential to be a solid all around WR. Speed and height make him a prime TD target. And he'll continue to get more comfortable as a WR and should flourish.

2) Ernest Wilford is the big possesion type WR. He'll post decent yards, but not many TDs.

3) Forget Reggie Williams, how about Marcedes Lewis as the #3 target. This guy is HUGE with nice hands and should be a regular red zone target for Byron.

;) I agree.. and I rarely agree with Texas fans... :o

I think Matt Jones has the best potential, but he's still learning the position. Wilford makes a nice #2, but without Jimmy to draw the coverages I'm not sure how good he'll be. Williams still has allot to prove.

I'd look elsewhere. This is a conservative offence. Even if one of these guys steps up, they'll be no better than a WR2, but most likely they'll be WR3's or bye week fill-ins.

Same goes for Leftwich. Without Jimmy, I don't see why people think this will be his break-out. If he couldn't break threw with Jimmy, I don't see how he'll do it with three very young WR's. He's a QB2 in a conservative offence at best. Having Lewis around gives him another target, but I don't think he'll do any better than last year. And he still needs to stay healthy. Slimming down isn't a good thing for a QB that gets injured as much as he does. He needs the extra padding to absorb the hits to stay healthy.

Everyone's ready to write Reggie Williams off, aren't they? Right now, I still see him as the #1 guy, but a lot can change between now and the start of the season. I don't think he's as worthless as some are making him sound though. He's still a very young WR.

This is not a racist commentary, but let's face it...how many white WR's have as much upside as Matt Jones, he will definately be picked way to early in my backwoods Texas FF league hehe. I will be targeting Wilford about round 8 or 9. Williams would only be on my radar as a late flyer since we draft pretty deep.

Know your competition.

The past 3 seasons I have been a proponent of snagging top tier WR's early, but this year I am leaning toward relying on WR's like Wilford, Brandon Lloyd, Roddy White, Greg Lewis...heck I like a lot of #2 wideouts this season.

This is not a racist commentary, but let's face it...how many white WR's have as much upside as Matt Jones, he will definately be picked way to early in my backwoods Texas FF league hehe. I will be targeting Wilford about round 8 or 9. Williams would only be on my radar as a late flyer since we draft pretty deep.

Know your competition.

The past 3 seasons I have been a proponent of snagging top tier WR's early, but this year I am leaning toward relying on WR's like Wilford, Brandon Lloyd, Roddy White, Greg Lewis...heck I like a lot of #2 wideouts this season.

I'll give ya one tip - don't target Greg Lewis. He'll be behind Reggie Brown, Todd Pinkston and Jabar Gaffney on the Eagles depth chart and it's a possibilty that he won't even make the team. Three guys are already likely to be ahead of him and rookie Jason Avant is most likely to make the roster as well. Jeremy Bloom is another rookie WR/KR/PR who is likely to make the team unless he's a big dissapointment. There's a number of other guys in camp who could beat Lewis out as well.

With that said, I usually take the same approach when selecting WRs, unless I feel an elite guy has fallen to me in the early rounds that provides enough value to warrant a pick. After the Top12-20 are gone though, you might as well target the guys you have pegged as sleepers or know are valuable, but tend to slip in drafts from year to year.

I don't remember which week it was last year, but, Williams is the one who caught a six yard out on third and eight and celebrated like it was a TD. Although this is the only example of his questionnable maturity I can specifically recall there were several related instances throughout the year. He also isn't particularly keen on blocking defenders either. I doubt he'll ever be more than a WR3 in the NFL.

I think Jones is the guy to watch in Jax. If you compare Wilfords rookie stats in '04 to Jones' stats last year it's not even close. That's not to mention that Wilford had been a WR throughout college as opposed to Jones lack of experience at the position.

I agree that Leftwich is worth watching and should be a great bargain as a QB2. He completed approx. 58% of his passes and averaged just under 28 attempts per game. He was tracking for 22 TD passes and over 3000 yards had he played a 16 game season. In leagues that require a QB keeper he could be a steal as a late rounder this year looking towards next year when Jones will most likely be ready to put up solid numbers and Lewis has some experience.

The Jaguars lost all pro wide receiver Jimmy Smith to retirement this off season. That means someone has to step in and take his place. Some believe it will be Matt Jones, but I think it'll be Wilford. Ernest averaged 16.6 yards per reception last season and a TD every 6 receptions. If he can increase his production by just 50% percent he'll be a 1000 yard 10 TD receiver this season. (May-23-2006)

http://www.fftoolbox.com/profiles/profile_...?player_id=7510

The Jaguars lost all pro wide receiver Jimmy Smith to retirement this off season. That means someone has to step in and take his place. Some believe it will be Matt Jones, but I think it'll be Wilford. Ernest averaged 16.6 yards per reception last season and a TD every 6 receptions. If he can increase his production by just 50% percent he'll be a 1000 yard 10 TD receiver this season. (May-23-2006)

http://www.fftoolbox.com/profiles/profile_...?player_id=7510

just 50 percent? thats no easy task buddy. i mean thats a pretty big stretch. its possible, but saying it with ease is not something to count on.

I see this team as the Ravens who won the superbowl - their defense is so tough and with the smallest lead they will run run run and milk the clock. I can't see the Jaguars putting up too many points a game. They do play Tennessee twice though :thumbsup: .

IF I say IF they are behind by a few points - I see the Wr corps stepping UP to the cause.

I'm a wilford owner in a dynasty league. I watched him pretty closely last season and think that, based on his performance and the relationship that he had developed with Leftwich by mid season, he will be the go to guy in Jax. Here are his stats from last season broken down into three groups (w/Leftwich but not starting, w/Leftwich and starting, and w/Garrard)...

W/ Leftwich but not starting...

GAMES : 6 - TT : 13 - REC : 9 - YDS : 117 - YDS/REC : 13 - YDS/GM : 19.5 - TD : 2

W/ Leftwich and Starting

GAMES : 4 - TT : 28 - REC : 16 - YDS : 291 - YDS/REC : 18 - YDS/GM : 73 - TD : 3

W/ Garrard

GAMES : 6 - TT : 35 - REC : 16 - YDS : 273 - YDS/REC : 17 - YDS/GM : 45.5 - TD : 2

Notice how prodcutive he was during the four game stretch that he was starting before the Leftwich injury. Granted they were not against the greatest defenses (Rams, Texans, Ravens, Titans) but I think that his performance over that stretch shows the development of some chemistry with his QB. If you were to project those stats over 16 games you'd have 64 rec/ 1164 yds/ 12 TD... I'm not saying that he'll come close to that this season but I think that 1000 yds/ 7 TD would be well within his reach, and stats like that would probably rank him somewhere around 20th for recievers (damn fine for a FF #3 WR).

I live in north Florida and watched a good number of JAX games. I agree with some of the previous posts in that Jones will nab more TDS and big plays but Wilford will be the go to guy in an approaching-dangerous Jaguars passing game. Williams will be no more than #3.