Sign in to follow this  
Tangent

Did we ever come to an agreement ...

... over what penalty should be enforced if owners don't make cuts by the cut-down time? If not, we should.

from the other thread ...

what's the penalty if not all cuts are made by the deadline?

I guess we don't have a formal rule for this - and we should.

Things like being available for the draft and setting your lineups in season and making these cuts by the deadline ought to be minimum standards for league participation. If you can't get around to it with the long notice you're provided then maybe you ought to find a different hobby. Harsh, but IMO appropriate.

I guess the alternatives are from the following:

a. You forfeit your team and league management finds another owner

b. League management makes your cuts for you - too bad if you don't like who's been picked for you, but you had your chance

c. The rest of the league makes your cuts for you via a vote - too bad if you don't like who's been picked for you, but you had your chance

d. You'd have to cut an extra player for every two days you miss the deadline by - so cut to 23 if you do so between 3/1 5:00pm and 3/3 4:59pm, cut to 22 if you do so between 3/3 5:00pm and 3/5 4:59pm, and so on ...

e. Another idea ?

Let's hope we never have to actually put any of these into action.

also ...

Losing draft picks in the rookie draft is a possibility as well.

I considered that, but:

> Starting from the sixth round pick is pretty harmless.

> Starting from the first round pick is just too cruel.

Cutting the 24th guy would be somewhere in between for most teams.

I don't like the b. idea. It's wrong to put that much power in the commissioners' hands, IMO.

I might rank them 1) d., 2) c., 3) a..

D sounds pretty good to me... Is everyone good to go on the cuts this year? We can probably have an official vote on this now if everyone wants. Also, I want to see what the consensus would be on the no trade-back rule I was talking about the other day. Something like 6 months before any player can be re-aqcuired or something like that?

Man - you guys are pretty harsh. Lighten up and enjoy life.

I can see a situation where someone gets busy for a few days and just forgets, though galt is very good at putting out reminders. Sometimes life does interfere with FF however.

As far as the whole trade back thing goes, its really not a big issue unless its a case of collusion or rentaplayer. There can be a judgement call made by the powers that be on a given situation.

One rule that needs to be figured out is defensive scoring. I'm assuming that defensive players will not make it to the table?

I can see a situation where someone gets busy for a few days and just forgets, though galt is very good at putting out reminders. Sometimes life does interfere with FF however.

As far as the whole trade back thing goes, its really not a big issue unless its a case of collusion or rentaplayer. There can be a judgement call made by the powers that be on a given situation.

One rule that needs to be figured out is defensive scoring. I'm assuming that defensive players will not make it to the table?

Busy for a few days, sure. But there's 2 months to get it done, so that's not really an excuse. I don't think this rule will ever come into effect, but there needs to be something official if it does come up.

-

Same thing with the trade-back thing. I don't think it'll ever become an issue, but its something that should probably be official.

-

I think IDPs are getting shot down. We do need to vote in Def/St scoring and see what the consensus is.

Then why have a cut-down deadline?

As far as tradebacks, I'm not totally against it. The only thing I'm against is a strict tradeback. However, if a player is traded as part of a trade and the two owners make another trade at a later date with that same player plus other, different players involved, I could not care less.

I wasnt commenting on whether there should be a rule, just on the harshness of the proposed penalties if someone happened to miss it.

I wasnt commenting on whether there should be a rule, just on the harshness of the proposed penalties if someone happened to miss it.

I don't think that's too harsh. What happens to an NFL team if it does not cut down to the appropriate number of players on the appropriate date? A fine?

I too clearly hope that it'll never be an issue that someone misses the cuts. If someone had been inactive here and had so far made no cuts, I'd have sent out emails and even called (assuming he had a number listed at RTS) starting mid last week or so.

The problem with someone not having a penalty for cutting by the deadline is that everyday from here on out there's more information available that could seriously influence who exactly we would want to cut. Getting a free pass to wait a few extra days to make your decisions should come at a cost. It's actually possible that d. isn't costly enough - that it could be worth the extra player in some cases to be allowed to await a FA signing or some other news - maybe.

However, being harsh just for the sake of being harsh has no purpose. There does need to be a justification for it.