Sign in to follow this  
snitwitch

Baseball Compiler this year?

I found another product out there that works just as good as the Baseball Compiler...

It's called the Baseball Ouija Board. Fisher Price makes a version that you can buy at Toys R Us. Just replace the letters with the peechers that you're choosing from...works great. I personally summoned the spirit of Ted Williams the other day.

that;s pretty cool -- did you speak to the spirit of his disembodied head?

did he then hit .400 for your fantasy team over the last couple weeks?

I think Jetdoc might be on to something with the Ouija board...

Seriously, I've been working on some football stuff, and debating the baseball compiler for 2004. Wasn't a lot of interest last year (partly from myself as well), and the big problem is finding good projections to plunk into the thing.

I will make a decision on this soon and let you know. If anyone does full projections with updates through preseason and is interested in contributing them to the Compiler, drop me a line and we'll try to work something out. compiler@fftoday.com

thanks for the update

I did check out the rototimes.com website -- they have what seems to be a pretty nifty VBD web app -- basically, you input your rules, they use their projections, and out spits a cheat sheet with auction values... I may just go there, and if its a pain for you, you might not want to reinvent the wheel wink

Maybe I'll just stick to the Draft Buddy side of things for baseball! I'll be looking at it more this week guys. Updates to follow.

i'd be very interested in an MLB draft buddy.

fantasy baseball may not be as big as FF, but i think those who play it are more fanatical and will look for any advantage and help they can get.

baseball is much more of a stat driven sport, and i think projections for baseball are infinitely more useful than projections for football.

For what it's worth, I used the compiler/draft buddy last year for baseball and thought it was helpful. It was a little bit of a pain updating and importing projections, though. I used rototimes projections last year and found them to be pretty good.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Ok, cool. Thanks guys. I'm glad to see there is some interest in it. To start I will just try to update the prior year version. Then I'll see about adding some of the better features from this past season's football version. I will work on it this weekend.

Anyone have last year's full season stats for all batters and pitchers they can send me?

Thanks cleo. I have the stats (only thing I don't like is it doesn't indicate the team the player played on), some projections and I am updating the last year versions of the Compiler and Buddy. Taking longer than expected - what else is new - but should have it done soon.

Good news everyone. I managed to update the baseball Compiler and Buddy. I hope to make further changes/improvements over the next few weeks as time allows, but if you want to check out the current version, details and download links are available at my website at www.profootballanalysis.com.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Mike

PS This banana guy is pretty funny banana banana banana :D

first off, i'd like to say that it looks great. thanks :D

issue:

it seems that choosing 'AL' or 'NL' only in Compiler still gives you the whole league.

wishes:

1. to be able to enter in my own 5x5 rotisserie categories, or at least to choose from an array. (such as OBA, SLG, Runs Produced, Net Steals, etc. for batters, and Net Wins, Net Saves, etc. for pitchers)

2. instead of, or in addition to, have a utility (UT) position which allows any player, hitter or pitcher.

thanks.

and like i said, nice work :)

Thanks cleo. I see what you mean about the NL/AL/both thing. Not sure why that isn't working, but I am looking into it.

Wow, the other stuff sounds pretty complicated (point 1 in particular), but I will see what I can do.

Thanks for doing this. I used the one you did last year and it helped me a great deal. This is a really easy tool to use.

FYI - this years football compiler assisted me to a first place win.

Thanks AD (abigaylesdad). My little girl's middle name is Abigail :D

As for an update, I figured out the issue with the AL/NL only leagues in the Compiler and uploaded a fixed version to the site. Checked RotoTimes and the projections are still not updated, but they may be waiting until next week once spring training is in full swing.

Now off to think more about cleo's other suggestions.

And I find this after I spent most of a day trying to reprogram the football compiler with baseball players. :D

The football compiler helped me win my first league ever this year, BTW.

My question: would it be possible to add some macro buttons to the batter and pitcher sheets in the compiler to allow sorting by stat categories, without screwing up the formatting? It would help immensely to be able to just click and see who the big SB or HR or SV guys are, and it would definitely help find that sleeper.

Hi pitnyelder. Best way to do that - at least for the time being - is to use Excel's own sorting function. Follow these steps:

1. Click on the batters tab, for example, and click on the cell B3 "Player" which is the header for the player name column.

2. Hit CTRL-SHIFT-END to highlight the entire area from B3 to the bottom right corner.

3. While holding CTRL-SHIFT, use the arrow keys to move the highlighted to the last player line and last stat column.

4. Select Data > Sort and note that the option "My list has - Header row" should be selected. Then choose the stats you want to sort by - (3)HR Descending for 2003 HRs - and there you have it.

I don't think changing the order of the batters and hitters sheet should cause a problem for the calculation macros. The default sort I have is by League > Team > Player.

Newbie here. I can find the football compiler, but can't seem to find the baseball compiler. Will someone please post a link? Thanks.

Hey schodes. Go to www.profootballanalysis.com, read the short blurb there on the homepage and the download links are right there as well. As with the football version, you will need Excel 97 or higher to run it.

I didn't get a chance to do much work this weekend. If someone notices the projections are updated but I haven't done it yet, then drop me a note and I'll try to get right on it.

Hi queler. When I originally designed the baseball Compiler, I was under the impression most leagues run as auctions. Therefore, the need for an overall ranking wasn't needed since the auction could be in any order.

I've since found out there are tons of different ways to run a baseball league, but just haven't had the time to add overall rankings. Best thing to do is switch to the dollar based rankings, and run the Compiler. The higher the auction value it spits out then that is a true calculation of the value of each player, compared against different positions.

This is certainly something I'll put on my to-do list for the future.

Thanks for the input Mike, my only problem, that I pose to all, is that I can't tweak the auction setting to get it to give any value other then the minimum to anyone other then the top 10-20 at every position

In the INFAMOUS words of CRUSH the sea turtle from Finding Nemo, " YOU SO TOTALLY ROCK SQUIRT!" headbang

Thanks for your efforts Mike! Excel gods like you are few and far between. Enough a$$ kissing huh?

How do you figure WHIP points? We do not use auction dollars we use Rotiserie points and we do 5x5 points (1 for each Batters); HR, SB, H, Runs,RBIs for (Pitchers we do 1 point for each of the following); Ks, Wins, Saves, Earned Runs Allowed, and WHIP. Now for Earned Runs Allowed the lower the stat the more points you get, and for WHIP the lower the WHIP the more points you get, 13 teams the lowest WHIP gets 13 points for the week and so on down to 1. How do I input that on the parameters sheet? Or could you create a WHIP selection? You mention it below in your directions but I don't see a points allotment box?

Also, the draft buddy ONLY shows AUCTION Values NOT POINTS, we aren't interested in dollars just stats and TOTAL POINTS, now I see stats on the compiler but not the draft buddy am I missing a drop down or check box? My draft is this Sunday and I know you don't have anything else better to do this week <WINK>. <refer to a$$ kissing lines above for motivation> Just kidding. Help!

THANKS AGAIN MIKE! :D :) banana

Damn Rich, I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner. It has been a week with lots of ups and downs and little time for baseball.

Even though you don’t use dollars, I think what you want to do since you use roto scoring is keep it set to 5X5 and cheatsheets display auction dollars. Don’t fill in the fantasy points section. It doesn’t really matter what the cap is that you use, but stick with the default and the dollar values will be comparable to most other rankings you see (like in the magazines). The key is to have the 5X5 and it will appropriately value the players equally weighted across all of those categories you mention for the batters and pitchers.

Then when you get to your draft, start drafting the guys with the highest dollar value first. That would be the overall list really (A-Rod should be the highest auction value). Try to take into account some position scarcity by checking the drop-off in dollar values at each position (like 2B is a shallow high talent position), but the dollar values should for the most part account for this.

When you get over to Draft Buddy, just switch the draft method to serpentine or straight, and use the Copy Compiler Data button to bring over your rankings. It will still have the dollar values, but again, that is the order you want to draft in (barring any personal preferences you have for certain players). Just don’t worry about filling in the Actual Bid column on the draft input tab in Buddy. Drafted players will still drop off the batters and pitchers tabs, and keep an eye on the by team tab to see what positions you still need to target and what positions your competition (particularly the guys drafting around you) still need to address.

Best of luck!

queler:

Thanks for the input Mike, my only problem, that I pose to all, is that I can't tweak the auction setting to get it to give any value other then the minimum to anyone other then the top 10-20 at every position

Sorry queler. You've been waiting longer for a response than Rich. I believe the reason is because once we get into backup players, they are going to automatically going to get the min bid. They are still ranked accordingly, best to worst backups, but since they are considered backups by the Compiler they aren't "worth" more than your min bid because you can get another backup elsewhere for the same min price.

I understand that does not necessarily equate to reality as there will be some hot prospects more than one owner wants, driving up the price. Figuring out the auction stuff for both the football and baseball version has been very tough to do. Do you have any thoughts on how to better calculate auction values?

Hmm... Just screwing around here, but instead of inputting just the pure starters on the parameters tab in the Compiler, input both the sum of the starters AND the backups beside each position. Or input the starters plus half the backups (i.e. start 1 1B, 1 corner IF and backup 1 1B = input 2.5 starters...although it is really only 1.5 starters). Give that a go and see what happens.

Mike,

great job as always. Is there an easy way that I can either add another dollar figure or a note to the players in the draft buddy. Or maybe replace the dollar figures in the draft buddy so I can use new figures from an outside source or an average dollar figures from many sources?

Thanks again banana

Go into the Compiler cheatsheets tab. Just overwrite the dollar amounts with the dollar amounts you want to use, and then re-sort each position (highlight the section, Data > Sort by dollar value column, descending). Then go into Buddy and copy over the cheatsheets as you would have previously, and it should bring over your adjusted dollar values.

Make sense?

Thanks Mike that suggestion worked. I have another one for you. Is there any easy way to switch Runs and SB? My 4x4 league uses HR, RBI, Avg, and SB not runs. I tried to switch it under "batters tab" of the compiler, but I got an error. Also, will there be any other updates with new stats, if not can you explain the easiest way to import them in from another source?

In the batters tab in the Compiler, copy the SB projections for all players and paste them over the Runs projections. The Compiler will "think" it is still grabbing and analyzing Runs, but really it is using SB. Should work.

Has there been a projection update over at RotoTimes? I can see about updating it - probably faster than explaining it - but I did just get a new X-Box I need to set aside some time for :D wink

Damn, looks like I'm a little behind. Let me see what I can do the next day or two.

I have one last draft this coming weekend. I know Rototimes only updates its projections through April 3, but I can't find anything more up to date. Can you maybe do one last update, or explain how I can manually update the stats? Thanks.